She Won't Stop Scratching!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mitzi will not stop scratching the wall. We have tried everything we could think of, I have read the scratching section off one of the Sticky's, and right now on the wall is a piece of sticky paper, but the only effect this is having is making a right noise at 4am. It peels off, and we reckon she tends to scratch it just to get our attention! We've tried almost everything - ignoring, squirting her with a water sprayer, throwing things her way so she goes to attack them instead of the wall, and just yelling "Oi!"

She only likes scratching rough surfaces, and she never scratches the chair unless she's stretching on it. We have 2 fairly big scratching posts in the house for her, and one of these is right next to the wall she scratches.
She does use the scratching posts a lot, but finds the wall much more interesting!

Has anybody got any ideas of what we could do to try and make her stop?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Laura

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your wall is textured or has wallpaper on it. I've never heard of a cat liking to scratch a smooth wall! But you could try putting on those SoftPaws nail caps to help prevent damage.

Not sure how to get her to really stop. How long has she been doing this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She started doing this pretty much as soon as we got her. I posted about it before on here I think, but that was 12 months ago. We tried everything, and my mom's even bought a cat spray thingy that's meant for the furniture.

It's driving us barmy!

And I'm not too sure about the SoftPaws thing, bcuz we live in the UK. Also, I have had a look at the website and it says that they should only be worn by indoor cats.

Great idea though

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So your walls are smooth?? not textured? Also how often are you clipping nails? What kind of damage has she done?

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try soft paws. Jeter LOVES to shred sofas, no matter how many scratching posts we have. Soft Paws is the only thing that has saved our new couch. Plus they are fairly inexpensive and don't harm your cat.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

So your walls are smooth?? not textured? Also how often are you clipping nails? What kind of damage has she done?
Sorry

1. The walls have got textured paper on them

2. We clip her nails once every 3 -6 weeks, or just whenever they feel really sharp

3. The damage is the paper being totally ripped to shreds, hanging of the wall in shreds kinda thing

We'd love to use Soft Paws, but she's an outdoor cat, so they'd be off in no time

Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not a good thing. She may be after the texture part, or the smell/taste of the glue on the wallpaper. Does she just claw it or lick/chew on the shredded part.

As far as clipping - I'd be doing it once a week; keep them dull. You might want to consider building/buying a cat enclosure for outside time instead of just running loose. That way you could still use the nail caps and your cat would be safe outside.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She just claws at it. She sniffs it sometimes before she claws it, but I've never seen her chewing it at all.

I think that the outdoor run would probably be a good idea, but the garden isn't really big enough for a suitable sized run. We can only just about fit the rabbit run in there!

Any other ideas?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmm???? only other suggestion is for you to train to a harness/leash and take her outside for awhile a few times a day. Rest of the time she spends inside with the nail caps on.

Other then that, not sure what else to suggest....can you get a bigger backyard

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some cat proof fences available. You might be able to add to the fence around your garden with something like that.

Then the entire garden is basically a cat enclosure, here's one (after a quick google) http://www.purrfectfence.com/

However in general, I don't know about the wall, is it possible to put something in front of the wall so she can't get at it there?

Or I remember seeing scratching posts that are basically flat scratchable material that you hang directly on the wall, i.e a wall mounted scratching post. Maybe putting something like that where she's scratching would make her scratch that instead and atleast it'd look better than the ripped paper.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Success! (For now...
)

Thanks for the help peeps

In the end it was the none scratching stuff my mom bought that has done the trick. We sprayed it on the sticky plastic on the walls (which BTW stunk to high heaven of lemon and horse fly spray!) and there wasn't a peep out of Mitz alllll night

We've tried walking her along on a harness before, and she either flips out and goes mental attacking me or it, or she justs lies there and won't budge.

lol at the bigger back yard suggestion

and we can't really put anything in the way of it as it's right at the top of the stairs

We'll continue to use this spraying stuff (Have no idea what it's actually called
) and hope that that works

Thanks anyway guys!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought you'd get a chuckle out of the "yard" comment from me

Anyway maybe more frequent trimming of those nails (once a week) would help. I find my guys tend to claw more when their nails need cutting.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thought you'd get a chuckle out of the "yard" comment from me

Anyway maybe more frequent trimming of those nails (once a week) would help. I find my guys tend to claw more when their nails need cutting.
yeah

Well I talked to my mom about it last night and so we're gonna trim them probably every Friday night

p.s: hope you like the tootsie roll!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep - sent you a thank you too. Did you ask if there was a way to get a bigger yard?

Over here, our towns have "yard sales" and "garage sales" - why anyone would sell their yard is beyond me, but you do see a lot

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yep - sent you a thank you too. Did you ask if there was a way to get a bigger yard?

Over here, our towns have "yard sales" and "garage sales" - why anyone would sell their yard is beyond me, but you do see a lot
Over here a yard sale is just ways people get rid of old books and toys that they no longer want
Or it's better known as a "Car-Boot".

It's different for us over here though b/c you guys have lots of land and we live in a crammed street!

BTW, i can't find the thankyou
Did you PM me? I can't get them

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the old house i lived in it had textured wallpaper on the staircase, and Rosie's little scratching spot was right at the bottom of the stairs with it
She won't let me clip her claws, but because the house i'm in now is just over 10 years old the walls are smooth and painted so she can't touch them now, but she uses the scratching posts no problem

Jack on the other hand lets me clip his claws every week

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I replied to it, maybe it just didn't take....
lol, never mind!

And Rosiemac little Jack is such a sweetie!

I still think Rosie is my fave though

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

She won't be if she and Mitzi became partners in crime with your wallpaper!
lmao!

I think they may have been plotting...

But if she kept meowing in my face I'd let her off