Issues Behind

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
It seems my cat has issues with her behind. Kind of disgusting but she is going to either need toilet paper or I dont know. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Can I shave that area? Its really gross as she leaves marks where she sits so please help this poor thing

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have what is called a sanitary shave that your vet can do or a groomer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

They have what is called a sanitary shave that your vet can do or a groomer.
It doesnt hurt them or anything right?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it should .... it's done a lot for long-haired cats who may have a hard time cleaning there, or for obese or arthritic cats who also have a hard time. Maybe check with your vet that there's no physical reason for the issue, and then make an appointment with the groomer?

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I don't think it should .... it's done a lot for long-haired cats who may have a hard time cleaning there, or for obese or arthritic cats who also have a hard time. Maybe check with your vet that there's no physical reason for the issue, and then make an appointment with the groomer?
Yes she needs an appt anyways so I will do the vet 1st

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask - does she sort of 'scoot' along the floor? She might have impacted anal glands, which the vet or groomer can express. Believe me, it's worth paying them to do it!

Just ask the vet to check - it doesn't cost that much to have them do it.

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I forgot to ask - does she sort of 'scoot' along the floor? She might have impacted anal glands, which the vet or groomer can express. Believe me, it's worth paying them to do it!

Just ask the vet to check - it doesn't cost that much to have them do it.
No not at all, I see dogs do the "butt" walk. I guess she cant clean there or something?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the occasional butt issue here--with Jack only. We just use scissors to trim the rear area. Hubby holds him while I trim. We have learned our lesson as far as not forgetting to trim as Meowmy had quite the nasty cat butt to clean a couple weeks ago--disgusting!

Leslie

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

We have the occasional butt issue here--with Jack only. We just use scissors to trim the rear area. Hubby holds him while I trim. We have learned our lesson as far as not forgetting to trim as Meowmy had quite the nasty cat butt to clean a couple weeks ago--disgusting!

Leslie
Thats how mine cat is. Some is clumped (wont get descriptive) and some is from tinkling. IS this something I can do? Id be afraid to cut her.

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat is a long haired cat and getting old and doesn't clean her self very well any more. They just keep her fur nice and short back there and they do it them selves. Lucy (the kitty) does not enjoy it very much, but it solves the problem and she is fine. I have to do it for my boy friend's pup sometimes too it just gets cought in there long fur and they can't clean it very well.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sanitary shave is the way to go. Since you have to make a trip to the vet anyway, I'd ask them to do it. I've never heard of one who charged to do that and it's much safer then trying to do it yourself.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd never attempt to shave it at home--but cutting it with the scissors isn't that hard if you have two people. Hubby scruffs Jack and holds Jack's tail up for me while I cut. Jack is pretty used to it, we've been doing it since he was probably 4 months old.

Leslie

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet appt is for Friday, I forgot to mention to them about the bikini wax but I hope its not a big deal

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by molarszbt18

Vet appt is for Friday, I forgot to mention to them about the bikini wax but I hope its not a big deal
Thanks for making me laugh today! No, it shouldn't be a big deal. It only takes them about 2 minutes.

molarszbt18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got back from the vet and the bikini wax looks good
! Hopefully this will help her out. He did say she is a little over weight 13 lbs or 13.5 so she can't get back there good enough. We shall see what happens.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be careful with trimming any fur on a cat with scissors. Very easy to cut the cat's skin.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep Griffin's butt trimmed with scissors, or he gets poo clumped in his fur there too. He does get a sanitary shave at the groomer, but I give him an extra trim with scissors around the surrounding area too - not down to the skin, just short. He is extra fluffy, and it's just too much for him to deal with on his own! It's not difficult to trim with scissors if I have someone hold him for me, although I have done it on my own too. (He is a pretty cooperative boy.)

I hope your kitty is enjoying her new look!