TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Issues Behind
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Issues Behind

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello,
It seems my cat has issues with her behind. Kind of disgusting but she is going to either need toilet paper or I dont know. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Can I shave that area? Its really gross as she leaves marks where she sits so please help this poor thing
post #2 of 17
They have what is called a sanitary shave that your vet can do or a groomer.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi1puss View Post
They have what is called a sanitary shave that your vet can do or a groomer.

It doesnt hurt them or anything right?
post #4 of 17
I don't think it should .... it's done a lot for long-haired cats who may have a hard time cleaning there, or for obese or arthritic cats who also have a hard time. Maybe check with your vet that there's no physical reason for the issue, and then make an appointment with the groomer?
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
I don't think it should .... it's done a lot for long-haired cats who may have a hard time cleaning there, or for obese or arthritic cats who also have a hard time. Maybe check with your vet that there's no physical reason for the issue, and then make an appointment with the groomer?
Yes she needs an appt anyways so I will do the vet 1st
post #6 of 17
I forgot to ask - does she sort of 'scoot' along the floor? She might have impacted anal glands, which the vet or groomer can express. Believe me, it's worth paying them to do it!

Just ask the vet to check - it doesn't cost that much to have them do it.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
I forgot to ask - does she sort of 'scoot' along the floor? She might have impacted anal glands, which the vet or groomer can express. Believe me, it's worth paying them to do it!

Just ask the vet to check - it doesn't cost that much to have them do it.
No not at all, I see dogs do the "butt" walk. I guess she cant clean there or something?
post #8 of 17
We have the occasional butt issue here--with Jack only. We just use scissors to trim the rear area. Hubby holds him while I trim. We have learned our lesson as far as not forgetting to trim as Meowmy had quite the nasty cat butt to clean a couple weeks ago--disgusting!

Leslie
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack31 View Post
We have the occasional butt issue here--with Jack only. We just use scissors to trim the rear area. Hubby holds him while I trim. We have learned our lesson as far as not forgetting to trim as Meowmy had quite the nasty cat butt to clean a couple weeks ago--disgusting!

Leslie
Thats how mine cat is. Some is clumped (wont get descriptive) and some is from tinkling. IS this something I can do? Id be afraid to cut her.
post #10 of 17
My mom's cat is a long haired cat and getting old and doesn't clean her self very well any more. They just keep her fur nice and short back there and they do it them selves. Lucy (the kitty) does not enjoy it very much, but it solves the problem and she is fine. I have to do it for my boy friend's pup sometimes too it just gets cought in there long fur and they can't clean it very well.
post #11 of 17
The sanitary shave is the way to go. Since you have to make a trip to the vet anyway, I'd ask them to do it. I've never heard of one who charged to do that and it's much safer then trying to do it yourself.
post #12 of 17
I'd never attempt to shave it at home--but cutting it with the scissors isn't that hard if you have two people. Hubby scruffs Jack and holds Jack's tail up for me while I cut. Jack is pretty used to it, we've been doing it since he was probably 4 months old.

Leslie
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Vet appt is for Friday, I forgot to mention to them about the bikini wax but I hope its not a big deal
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
Vet appt is for Friday, I forgot to mention to them about the bikini wax but I hope its not a big deal
Thanks for making me laugh today! No, it shouldn't be a big deal. It only takes them about 2 minutes.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Got back from the vet and the bikini wax looks good ! Hopefully this will help her out. He did say she is a little over weight 13 lbs or 13.5 so she can't get back there good enough. We shall see what happens.
post #16 of 17
I'd be careful with trimming any fur on a cat with scissors. Very easy to cut the cat's skin.
post #17 of 17
I keep Griffin's butt trimmed with scissors, or he gets poo clumped in his fur there too. He does get a sanitary shave at the groomer, but I give him an extra trim with scissors around the surrounding area too - not down to the skin, just short. He is extra fluffy, and it's just too much for him to deal with on his own! It's not difficult to trim with scissors if I have someone hold him for me, although I have done it on my own too. (He is a pretty cooperative boy.)

I hope your kitty is enjoying her new look!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Issues Behind