Cat that can't eat liver!

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like such a bad owner for my cat. The only food that doesn't make her sick is "junk food" to most people on this site. She is an applehead Siamese, about 4 years old, and I got her from a cat rescue.

It took many vet visits and several months to figure out why my cat was vomiting so much, and why her stools were so soupy and stenchy.

I kept a food diary for her. Liver, too many fats, and chlorophyll (Greenies, dental treats) will make her vomit until she has dehydrated herself into ARF. There is a lot of veggie oil in wet kidney prescription diets and she displayed the symptoms of fat intolerance when eating them. Prescription diets also gave her dry, broken off, thinning fur. Anything with liver she will gladly eat but she will vomit herself into a week with an IV at the vet.

I feel so bad because it took months to find a combo of foods that won't make her vomit, give her runny stenchy stools, and keep her hydrated. I finally have found a combo of foods that she will eat, and that give her shiny full thick fur with normal stools, no vomiting, and good hydration. Her blood values are all perfectly normal now!

I have a Drinkwell water fountain with filtered water, Nutro dry weight control kibble free fed, and Friskies wet urinary diet food once a day. I feel so guilty that I cannot find a premium food she will eat that doesn't contain liver. Any premium wet that doesn't contain liver she won't eat- or it is all seafood ingredients that she will eat in sparing amounts. She won't even eat premium dry kibbles. Raw diet she will eat but starts up the illness cycle again.

If anyone knows of premium wet foods that don't have liver please tell me about them! Hopefully there is something I can afford that won't make her ill. I don't want to think I shortened my cat's life span because I fed her junk

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are extremely finicky where food is concerned, at least mine is, they are terrible, all of my cats will only eat fancy feast wet, and dry food. I have two that are pre-disposed to UTI and one of the boys had a P.U. operation, removal of his male organ, and they really need to be on prescription food but they won't even look at it. All I can do is try to get them interested in drinking more water. But if they don't want the good stuff what can you do. Sorry I can't help you with your other question about liver. But I'm sure someone will be along to advise you on that. Although it does sound like he is back to health again. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been reluctant to post about my kitty because I don't want people to think I am being mean by feeding her "junk". She really is a sweet kitty now, she used to be such a bitey, scratchy, mean kitty for the first several months. I wonder if the food issues were causing her to feel bad and act out...because when the vomiting and poop issues stopped she started being such a sweet cuddly baby!

It helped me a lot to see your story because I feel like somebody understands what its like to have kitties that just won't or can't eat premium foods! I hope your babies are doing well and don't have to go to the vet too often

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It very well could be that she wasn't feeling well in the beginning, like people when your not feeling good people can get cranky. Animals are no different. I was the same way though, I was reading how everyone was giving their little ones premium foods and I'm thinking "boy wants wrong with me" but you know, you can't force a cat to eat what they won't eat, so you do the best you can with what you have. Your little one seems back on track now with the combination your giving her so I certainly wouldn't change anything now. Your doing a great job with her.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Your little one seems back on track now with the combination your giving her so I certainly wouldn't change anything now. You're doing a great job with her.
as sharky has often said, the best food for your cat is the one s/he will eat & doesn't cause him/her problems!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find that most of us here will help by recommending better quality foods but we also know that not all cats will cooperate by eating them.

Don't beat yourself up over cat food. Feed what your cat can eat without getting sick and what will keep her happy and that, IMO, is being a good and loving cat owner.

I applaud you for getting your cat from a rescue and your patience in the beginning when she was not so "lovable". That says more to me about you than what you feed her. I hope we'll get to see some pictures of your kitty soon.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laureen said what I would...

Here is what I learned and every so often the vet reminds me about...

ANY wet is good ... so even if it is "junk" by some you are getting the moisture into kitty without liver ... Dumb ?? have you tried some of the 95% meat foods ?? many are liver free and would give a touch of variety ...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bad cat meowmy wouldn't have continued to look for a solution to the problem and wouldn't be so dedicated to find foods that "work" for her kitty. I'm also of the opinion that the best food for your cat is one you can afford and your kitty will eat. Your kitty is thriving, so don't beat yourself up!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're a wonderful mommy for working so hard for your baby - and if she's happy and healthy, and your vet is happy with her check-ups, you should be patting yourself on the back! It's always easy to say 'this' diet is great, or 'that' diet is great - but what's really great is someone who loves her pet enough to find what works for her cat.

And, there are cats who've lived many many years on 'junk' food like Friskies - some of a long life will be down to genetics, some will be quality of medical care and nutrition - but if it came down to love alone, your baby would live 100 years.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

You're a wonderful mommy for working so hard for your baby - and if she's happy and healthy, and your vet is happy with her check-ups, you should be patting yourself on the back! It's always easy to say 'this' diet is great, or 'that' diet is great - but what's really great is someone who loves her pet enough to find what works for her cat.

And, there are cats who've lived many many years on 'junk' food like Friskies - some of a long life will be down to genetics, some will be quality of medical care and nutrition - but if it came down to love alone, your baby would live 100 years.
WOW that is exactly the thoughts of many of us

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

usameisje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your responses here make me feel a lot better

I saw the 95% meats food in a store near my home. She will eat the turkey or chicken, but only about 1 teaspoon worth. I use it to hide medications

Kitty is dragging the Bird toy over and going "squak squak squak" in that cute Siamese voice
She always uses the litter box, even when she is sick. She also understands that the cardboard box is for her scratching and almost never tries to scratch anything else!