Negative feedback - vent

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've posted about the possibility of us taking in a third 'senior' cat. He has to undergo further testing before the shelter will adopt him out. My family is very excited about the chance of Tommy coming to live with us. He will be the second cat in about a month that we've adopted.

I just cannot get over the negativity I've been getting about this. People treating me like I'm dumb, like I don't know the expense of owning a pet. And I even had one woman tell me "I hope you know that the 10 yr old cat could live to be 19 and the two younger ones could die of cancer" WHAT?

I DO realize the cost that comes from having furbabies. I DO have enough room in my house AND my heart for these cats that otherwise would probably not have a chance to live elsewhere.

I have gotten some awesome feedback, but more negative than not. I just can't believe some people *sigh*. Thank you for letting me vent.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad to say, but so many people join TCS and their first post is OMG my cat is sick and I can't afford to take him to the vet so some people are always wary of people who take home older cats. I didn't see any negative posts in your thread though?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you speaking of feedback on another website, or from your "real-life" friends, perhaps? I can't imagine why folks here on TCS would do anything but applaud you for giving an older cat a happy home!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Are you speaking of feedback on another website, or from your "real-life" friends, perhaps? I can't imagine why folks here on TCS would do anything but applaud you for giving an older cat a happy home!
I'm sure she's talking about somewhere else. Here thread here had nothing but supportive posts. It's TCS...who would discourage it?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's funny....I adopted a kitty the vet put at 13-15 years old. Next time I had him to the vet, he told me he was 15 years old, he just guessed "young" so he'd get adopted. Last time I had him in, the vet confessed he was really over 16, maybe close to 18 years old....he just didn't want to guess him that old intially when he was at the shelter or we'd outright euthanize him.
Either way, the age matters none to me - he was old & no one else would want him.

He shall be my Squishy.

Good for you for giving a kitty a chance, one that not many would even look twice at!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 large dogs and 2 cats. Everyone thinks I'm crazy. I would love to have another couple of dogs and cats - all rescued, of course. We have the space and can afford them.
My m-i-l even wants to come back as one of my pets!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While its true that the 10 yr old may live to 19 and younger cats die of cancer, that doesn't mean any of it will happen.

Just tell them that your heart is geared to the senior cats and if they can't say something nice about it, then please don't say anything!

If they start the negative stuff, say, "sorry, but I've got other things to do" and then leave or ignore them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkmonkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry, I should have put in my original post that it is not TCS, oh heavens no! I've got nothing but support here
, it's another site and RL people. Thank you so much for understanding where I'm coming from. Our Pumpkin is prone to crystals so we know all about vet bills. My pets are just like my children and they do not go without.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its great you are adopting an older kitty, we have adopted several out in the past few weeks and it is great to see them go to homes where they are really loved.

Oh and welcome to TCS

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkmonkey

Oh I am so sorry, I should have put in my original post that it is not TCS, oh heavens no! I've got nothing but support here
, it's another site and RL people. Thank you so much for understanding where I'm coming from. Our Pumpkin is prone to crystals so we know all about vet bills. My pets are just like my children and they do not go without.
Hi! Welcome to TCS! I say... follow your
!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for giving an older cat a home
who cares what those people say..they won't know the love that can grow between you and your new baby and thats their loss

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These people obviously don't know what it is like to really LOVE your cats.
All cute cuddly kittens become OLD one day...you should tell them THAT!

People can be pretty negative in general nowadays.....you figure it is more acceptable now to "tell the truth" than be "polite", but their "truth" may not be yours. I vote for polite.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OP - please dont listen to them! I think you have an extra big heart for taking an elder cat! You're awesome!

I was actually looking for an older cat where I found Smidge (who was 10 mns.). No one wanted me except Smidge. I was rejected by about 30 cats first, so it isn't like I didnt try. Even though Smidge was younger she thankfully had a crushed paw and will never walk normally again - that made me feel a bit better! I really want to save an older cat no one wants. I still cry when I see them - and they've already been at the rescue place 2-3 years. If I ever get a house that is big enough i want to start taking them in - even if it just to foster.

I commend you for doing a good thing. And so what if they get expensive? The babies need you!