How Many Raw Feeders Out There?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm curious....how many raw feeders do we have on TCS?

(The poll is anonymous. I'm simply curious as it seems we do not have many raw feeders on here anymore.)

I keep considering going back to at least partially raw....but I'm still leery/paranoid.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't feed raw. it's not available locally [the pre-made ones], shipping is outrageous if ordered online, & i don't have the time [or the vet support] to do it myself.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed a little of everything depending on the individuals need... right now of 6 animals five get some raw at least 2 times a week

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of mine is currently all raw. I;m working on the other 3.

I don't find it to be a lot of work at all. I use Nature's Variety frozen which is a complete food and I make mine own using ground organic turkey to which I add Instincts TC supplements mix. Switching them over to eating after they've been used to eating processed foods their whole life is the hard part. If you want to follow the whole prey model which involves making the food from whole carcasses, that would be much more difficult and time consuming.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have tried, but not one of mine would have anything to do with it. I was planning on at least partially feeding them some raw. I might try it again sometime.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 are raw fed, have been their entire lives starting from the breeder. I make it myself

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 6 of mine are raw fed. Even Lucia's 8 kittens are raw fed. So I am raw feeding 14 cats daily.
I think people think it is harder than it is. With a premade mix it is very easy. I am starting to do the whole prey model. I have a butcher that I trust that grinds whole chickens, turkey parts, whole ducks or any meat plus bones. They have a weekly order for me. The meat is all organic free range. He gets in livers to match the meats for me. They even make their own to sell.
My litterboxes don't smell which I like.
My foster cat and her babies have to be on a dry and canned diet since most likely they will be going to a dry and canned home. I may give her little pinches as treats.

The trick is using proper food handling hygiene and cleaning up thoroughly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

I think people think it is harder than it is. With a premade mix it is very easy.
if a premade was carried locally, i'd certainly give it a try. but it's not - the pet stores hereabouts don't even have a refrigerated section.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if a premade was carried locally, i'd certainly give it a try. but it's not - the pet stores hereabouts don't even have a refrigerated section.
If you can buy livers and ground meats that is all you need with the addition of this:

http://www.felinefuture.com/

If you want more information, this is a good source:

http://www.holisticat.com/

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed grain free dry and supplement with grain free wet and add some raw chicken necks as "treats" and side dishes. One of my cats will have nothing to do with it, however.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I have leukemia cats it is very strongly recommended that I do not feed raw as their immune system is not equipped to handle it

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an occasional raw feeder, not complete meals though as I do not have the freezer space, nor a supportive vet.

I do though, about twice a week, feed raw chicken/turkey necks and giblets.
And of course big beef soup bones to my dog.

I've always fed this way, Spaz is 14, the dog is 10, neither have ever had, or needed dental cleaning, that's good enough reason for me

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my girl gets 2 chicken necks (chopped into three smaller pieces) every night and science diet dry food every morning. The chicken necks come fresh from most supermarkets here.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog eats all raw. I drive about an hour to pick up raw food from a butcher. They grind up bones and stuff kinda chunky. I tried to get my cats to eat it , but they'll have nothing to do with it. I just go with what works.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed raw chicken breast as a snack. I tried doing a complete raw food using Feline Instincts supplement, but the kitty nose was turned up

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine don't get raw. I used to feed my kitties kangaroo meat as part of their diet back in Australia - it was actually sold in packs in the freezer section at the supermarket! Cost effective, and the cats loved it.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mango gets one raw meal a day. I don't have a grinder and it's much more convenient for me to buy pre-packaged raw cat food, so that's what I do. If I had more cats though, I would probably invest in a grinder and make the food myself.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

If I had more cats though, I would probably invest in a grinder and make the food myself.
You don't need a grinder, and you're better off not using ground meat. Chunks are much better for their jaws and teeth than ground.