Tug - O - War

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's like tug-of-war at our house. we had to give up the string ropes though - Ben would eat the string. Not good for a dog who already had two surgeries for obstructions. We have some rubber pull toys from Pedigree that aren't made anymore - they last forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one of the Petstages toys. They're very durable....I have a Lab who likes to shred rope toys....this one is still alive after 4 days (most rope toys only live 1 day).

I buy petstages toys to donate to the shelter, they last whereas other brands of toys don't.....saves the shelter money if we buy the ones that last longer, rather than the Wal Mart ones which are eaten right away.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG thats wild, how do you know you arent going to break any teeth. I know you are small, but that was A LOT of pulling.

Izzy
I guess she didnt realize that she would have been on the ceiling had that been her

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's really not funny is when she (I swear) intentionally lets go of the toy to watch me land on my bum!

I've never had an issue with pulling out any teeth on the dogs, except with our 15 y/o Lab/GSD X & she needed a dental, but was not a candidate for anesthesia.

Izzy actually grabs on with Coco on one side, while Macey will grab the other, and they all run in a circle. The big dogs are so careful to play "senstive" when Izzy is on the other end of the toy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute video. But I'm not as strong as you and I don't play the tug of war game with Keno. I've read that human/dog shouldn't do this as the dog will win more times and in some dog's minds that means THEY and not the human is the pack leader....can backfire.

I might do it a small amount but Keno knows the "drop it" command and will let go, so I can throw it for her.

I feel that two dogs can play the game is better then human/dog.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't buy into the theory that a tug can make a dog feel like they are pack leader. I don't play often, as it hurts me, but once in awhile we enjoy a game.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Cute video. But I'm not as strong as you and I don't play the tug of war game with Keno. I've read that human/dog shouldn't do this as the dog will win more times and in some dog's minds that means THEY and not the human is the pack leader....can backfire.
I have read that as long as you end the game rather than the dog then tug of war is fine to play. That way you are the decision maker in play time and you win the game.

Regardless of whether someone believes in pack leaders or not, I think it is good for the human to decided when enough is enough with any play time or behavior

Samson LOVES tug of war and at times I feel as though he is about to rip my arm out of socket!