Hurricane Gustav

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to extend my thoughts and prayers to all that are being effected by Gustav. I saw on the net today that it looks like it will be hitting all of Louisiana as well as other states. That effects A LOT of people, and pets. I hope all that have to evacuate will get out safely, and that their pets will be safe too.

If anyone who goes here has been evacuated and has access to the net, this may be a good thread to let everyone know you are okay.

Be safe.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur!! I was on NOAA.gov site and updated myself on the track. I see that the University of WI is helping out in analyzing the hurricaine's data.

Its going to be a big one. I hope everyone and their pets can evacuate safely and in a timely manner.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you know that tomorrow is the 108th anniversary of the storm that destroyed Galveston?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely worrying over this hurricane. I've got friends that live in N.O. I spoke to them yesterday and they're on their way to Memphis. My best friend's sister and several of her friends are going to be staying at my best friend's parents home until this thing is over. They're also bringing all of their animals- several dogs and cats. I'm greatful they're able to take them all with them.

We also have family in Mobile, Al. We were supposed to head down to Mobile this week on Wed to see Colin's family for a few days and also to New Orleans one day while we're there (we always go) but i'm thinking now we might have a change of plans to say the least! I'm glad we're seeing all the warnings and all now before we ever had a chance to hit the road.

Colin and I have been trying to get ahold of his parents most of them morning but they're not answering their cells so i'm hoping they're ok. I've also called my sister in law and left a message for them as well. If they need to evacuate- there's more than enough room at our house for all of them and their pets so i'm hoping they come to Memphis if they need to. I just wish they'd call us back and let us know if they're going to evacuate or not- I hope they do so it'll be safer.

Colin got ahold of his aunt this morning that lives in Fla. She's going to stay there since she's in Orlando and not in the direct path- but she says that they've been getting a ton of rain here recently.

I'm keeping everyone in the storms path in my prayers

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have relatives [many] in Louisiana - Baton Rouge, Lake Charles... rather concerned about them, even tho they won't be getting the 'full brunt' of Gustav like New Orleans will.
the year Katrina hit New Orleans, my grandmother was evacuated from Lake Charles because of Rita - she spent a few weeks up here living with my mom [her daughter]. she's gone on to glory now, but i still have many relatives in southwest Louisiana, plus friends in the area as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it looks like it will be going through Houma on it's way (that's where I live), we aren't expecting to have a house to go back to. We are also expecting to stay here for perhaps a week. It depends on when they let people back into the effected area. I am worried for those who are on their way out now.

be safe.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard from our relatives in Mobile earlier tonight -they're all planning to stay there and wait out the hurricane since it's not supposed to be headed directly towards them. I hope they are right....DH's parents have that armor glass (hurricane windows) all in their house and my sis-in-law said they boarded up theirs....so i'm hoping they'll be ok.

Many vibes still headed out to all the people evacuating and in the hurricane's way Stay safe everyone!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

Yeah, it looks like it will be going through Houma on it's way (that's where I live), we aren't expecting to have a house to go back to. We are also expecting to stay here for perhaps a week. It depends on when they let people back into the effected area. I am worried for those who are on their way out now.

be safe.
My brother lives in Houma, him and his wife and her dad are staying at their house.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this is probably too late to catch people, but I have room in my house for any TCSer's that are evacuating and need a place to stay for a bit. Just drive due north to Kansas City.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

My brother lives in Houma, him and his wife and her dad are staying at their house.
I hope they are okay. The eye wall is gettin closer. We are all sitting around checking news reports on our laptops, and watching tv news about it.

I also just heard that the people who were supposed to pick up the cat didn't make it. They got a late start or something, and left the cat there. All night all I thought about was that cat, I prayed my heart out. I hope she is okay. I am hoping she is okay.

I tried to keep the images out of my head of her in the house alone.

be safe.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I know this is probably too late to catch people, but I have room in my house for any TCSer's that are evacuating and need a place to stay for a bit. Just drive due north to Kansas City.
That's so sweet of you Amy

Lots of stay safe for all of you. And if you can stay in touch where possible?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ruh roh - the levee's by the 9th ward are being breeched from both the top and the bottom. It's starting to flood again in New Orleans. There were camera crews right next to the levee and I just saw them leaving the area.

Depending on which station you watch, they are expecting anywhere from 6 to 20 inches of rain in the next few days. For all of you that are still down there or have evacuated - please let us know how you are doing!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

I also just heard that the people who were supposed to pick up the cat didn't make it. They got a late start or something, and left the cat there. All night all I thought about was that cat, I prayed my heart out. I hope she is okay. I am hoping she is okay.
That just makes me so deeply sad to know. How could they not make it a priority to get a cat. How could her owners not have originally taken her? This poor baby is stuck inside a house with flood waters pouring in
Her family that didnt take her with them should be so ashamed of themselves. This just makes me so sick!!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That just makes me so deeply sad to know. How could they not make it a priority to get a cat. How could her owners not have originally taken her? This poor baby is stuck inside a house with flood waters pouring in
Her family that didnt take her with them should be so ashamed of themselves. This just makes me so sick!!
we were in a van with six humans, and 5 animals, two large dogs, one small dog, and two cats. the people that were supposed to pick up the cat didn't. We had barely enough room to breathe let alone take another carrier with another animal in it. We were on the road for 15 hours, listening to one cat meow the whole way. My cat sat in my lap most of the way, and she meowed at me a few times. but nothing like the other cat named onyx.

I do wish we could have taken the cat with us. Someone had offered since they had lots of room. once they offered, and we were on the road, we were asked by some people that we were following, if we could put their cat in the van with us, so they took some small stuff and put the cat where the stuff was. They wanted the cat in the airconditioning instead of the back of the pickup like it was going to be tramsported.

I feel horrible for the kitty. It's been weighing on my mind. We live in South Terrebonne Parish. Houma Louisiana. Last report we got via txt message was that there was no flooding as of yet there. THere have been some houses destroyed, some fires, but so far no flooding. We are waiting on more news. Everything is about New Orleans, and they forget where the eye is, Terrebonne Parish.

Be safe

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Weather...5696807&page=1

The storm veered westward as it neared New Orleans, with the eye making landfall shortly before 10 a.m. at the remote bayou hamlet of Cocodrie. It's an area populated by shrimpers and oil rig workers. Gustav was on a path to drive northwest through Houma, Morgan City and Lafayette.

Matte predicted that the area of Port Fourshom and Houma, a major supply base for the oil industry, to be hardest hit.

Houma Parish President Michel Claudet told ABCNews.com that the lightly protected area was being hammered by 95 mph winds that were strong enough to peel back the roof of the parish firehouse and knock out power to their emergency services center.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stay safe everyone, humans and animals, I'll be thinking of you

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We heard that we are supposed to be able to start heading home around Friday. maybe we will hear from the other evacuees then. I am glad that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. The airbase across the bayou from our house got hit by the eyewall, so depending on how big the eye was, the other side may have gone right over our house. We are waiting to hear about Houma.

Be safe.