Question about my new kitten's health

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got her two weeks ago, she is 7 weeks old.

We brought her to the vet and she had roundworms, that were treated and besides that they didn't find anything else wrong with her in the physical exam they gave her.

She is usually very active and a little piggy.

Today we woke up and got her food ready and she was running around meowing for the food, then when we put it down for her, she doesn't want it.

Now she is laying down still for the last several hours making a strange "smacking" sound from her mouth and not eating of being very active.

I also saw her go to the litter box once and try and go to the bathroom, she brought her butt way down, but didn't go, and jumped out.

She is peeing though

I think she is feeling nauseous and doesn't want to eat.

I posted here originally because my kitten Sybil got sick and passed away at 9 months old (from severe heart disease), about a month and a half ago, and this is our new baby kitten.

I am probably over protective, but I fear the worst now because of what happened to Sybil.

What should I do?

The vets are closed today, and most likely tomorrow because of the holiday... I don't want to over react and take her to a emergency care place just because they are the only ones that are open (and charge a bundle)

Should I be concerned?

After how long should I be concerned?

What should I do?

I am just paranoid because of what happened to Sybil and figure I should come here for some advice

Thank you.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This might sound harsh....I don't mean it to.

1) She was taken from mom far too early.
She is 7 weeks now, so taken away at 5 weeks?

2) She couldn't properly digest food & probably is extremly constipated. She therefore can't/won't eat.

I think you call the ER vet to advise you, pay if you need to & get her examined....as especially at that age, they need to eat often.

I hate to give advice over the internet....but take a warm/wet cloth & rub her bottom gently....you need to stimulate her to poo. I'm not sure what to give her to soften any stools, or at this point if it will do any good.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a cat laxative that you can get at most large pet stores, and add it to some extremely tempting, smelly soft food. But if she doesn't have a bowel movement pretty quickly, you will need to take her to the emergency vet.

Just like children, it takes kittens a while to get the digestive tract regulated. You're right to be concerned; by the time a cat shows that it's ill, it is usually very ill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well she was 7 weeks when we got her, making her 8.5 weeks old now.

She hasn't had any problem going to the bathroom since we got her. In fact she goes to the bathroom a lot.

Up until this morning she has been extremely playful all the time, so I don't think she was sick and just not showing it.

I took her to the vet and they found she does have a fever but other than that nothing at all.

They are keeping her there to keep her hydrated and to watch her, but they think it is just a viral infection she needs to get over.

They say there are some serious things it could be, but they think it isn't anything serious.

I certainly hope everything is ok... I can't lose another kitten.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has distemper

We are going to do what we can...

I can't believe this is happening again.

From the information I was able to gather online it doesn't look very good.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that. I see that hospitalization is the normal treatment. Our prayers are with your kitten.

Kitten healing vibes.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm very sorry to hear that. I see that hospitalization is the normal treatment. Our prayers are with your kitten.

Kitten healing vibes.
adding my & that she pulls thru

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bad timing, but I want to say this before I forget. Distemper can live in your house for a very long time. Make sure no kittens that are not fully vaccinated enter your home.

I'm sending mega that your baby pulls through.
I've been there with foster kittens....I wish I could find some encouraging words for you.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope she gets better and I will do what I can.

It is getting so hard, it cost me over $2,000 to treat my kitten Sybil who ultimately passed away last month.

Now they gave me a $1,000 estimate for the next 48 hours.

The spirit is willing, the bank account is getting strained.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your little one pulls thru

However, in the future its better to adopt kittens between 10-12 weeks old at the minimum. Up to that time they need time with mom and sibllings and to get at least one set of shots, if not more.

And be careful where you are getting your kittens from.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are going through this again.

I hope kitty pulls through. You did the right thing by taking her to the vet.

In a few years time when she is all well and the bill is long gone you will only think of how wonderful it is to have her in your life.

I had a kitten cost me a few grand at 6 months of age when he got hit by a car....but he was worth every penny...the love of my life! Sydney was his name.

Years later I had to (I still get mad thinking about it) give him over to a relative that I thought would take care of him but he died because of neglect of health care. Not a week goes by that I don't think about him and how I let him down. I would have paid any amount to have him still.

Hoping for nothing but the best!

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a little bit of an update:

She went in Sunday afternoon with a 105.8 temperature, wasn't eating and vomiting.

It is now Thursday and her temperature is down to 103.1 (.6 degrees higher than high end of normal) she is more active and as of last night they say she is eating well.

Her heart rate and breathing are normal she looks less sick and when I visited her she was running around the cage.

She isn't out of the woods yet, but I think we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am very optimistic she is going to pull through ok.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MEGA AWESOME UPDATE:

We just got the call that she is ready to be discharged tonight at 8:30

According to all information I was able to derive the mortality rate of Panleukopenia in kittens of her age who aren't fully vaccinated is very high. To the point where many sites say "It is almost always fatal"

We must have gotten her in to treatment early enough and she was enough of a fighter to pull through.

We are leaving soon to pick her up... I am so happy that this time my story has a happy ending.

Here is a couple pictures of our darling

http://members.cox.net/scott.chaput/003.JPG

http://members.cox.net/scott.chaput/004.JPG