Is your desktop cluttered?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thread about desktop backgrounds and the couple of screenshots there made me wonder how many icons people have on their desktop?

I start to get antsy when it goes over the one line of icons (9 icons) and feel the need to tidy the desktop - what about everyone else?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm the same way. I have one row down and the rest is blank. I know of people who use it as their dumping ground for files and the entire screen is filled. It makes me antsy just looking at it.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mine is CRAZY messy lol I have more than 20 icons
lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No icons here. For years I've used desktops that don't even have them. Minimal is perfect.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep nothing on my Desktop! I guess that's the beauty of a Mac - it's so easy to find things without a desktop. I guess the equivalent, is "How cluttered is your dock?". I just have on the things I use regularly.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've still seen people keep heaps of files, downloads and things on their desktop for their Mac!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may get into trouble for showing mine here... I have a Cheezburger pic as my desktop image... As for how messy it may be... I clean mine up on a regular basis... my dock gets ignored mostly, but I did do a thorough cleaning of it a couple months back. I usually keep my icons down to one row, but frequently keep things on there, usually an 'alias' of the original icon, to remind me to work on said item (hence the Max & Magic one, it's a short story). it does bug me when I get close to three rows... then I really do a clean up!

If the mods would prefer that LOLCats image not be there, I can take the image down and change the screen grab... I just use them to make me laugh each day...

(EDITED: I decided the potential fuss wasn't worth it... so I changed the image and made a new screen grab... )

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

I have 19. Most of them I have no idea what they are for. Honey does my computer repair and they are things he's put on there for various reasons.
I have you beat, I have 51! Probably about 25 of them came with the computer and I don't know what they are so I'm afraid to delete them. The rest are things I accidently saved to desktop instead of harddrive (pics, etc) and a few links to games I already uninstalled but it didn't take the short cut off. I guess I should clean it up, but with my house, the least of my worries is how cluttered my desktop is!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is sort of messy, I'm uploading photos (to have them printed) so I've got all sorts of files for maybe print, uploaded, waiting to upload, etc etc.
Usually I have about two rows of files, maybe 2.5

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a screenshot of it (there should be a Print Screen button on your keyboard to the right of the F keys), paste it into any graphic software program, save it and upload it like any other picture

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have 20 icons on my desk top.

2 are word perfect files for my grocery list
1 is a game icon for Bejeweled 2
1 is my trash can
1 is my documents folder
3 for my all in one printer
1 is My Computer
1 is My Network Places
1 is my internet connection
1 folder that contains all short cuts to my various graphic programs
1 folder where I keep 3D content files that I still need to install. As they get installed, they are deleted from the folder.
3 folders for files that I am beta testing 3D content
1 .jpg file that I need to upload to my gallery.
1 folder for a program that joins archived files.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oy vey!! It sure is- too many icons! I need to do some housekeeping! Everything from files I need to find fast (even tho I know I can use search) to several programs (3 browsers, one I rarely use since I began sing Foxfire), AntiVirus stuff, school work stuff, games(of course, lol), Media stuff like QuickTime, ITunes, RealPlayer, MediaPlayer), DVD Creater, conversion Utilities, HTML stuff - for web sites, WS_FTP, icon to get into university server, MSN, Skype...

You get the idea, lol

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think mine is pretty uncluttered. I have everything in folders, because the last thing I want to do is cover up this beautiful man's face.

ETA: How do you get the Facebook thing on your Desktop? I want that also.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i currently have 10 on the home desktop. a couple are things i use all the time & don't want to have to search for... one is a file w/an address of someone i need to send a thank you card to - having it there is a reminder that i still need to do this! all are things that i want to have 'quick access' to so i keep them on the desktop.