Is he Neutered?

shorty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so the guy I got Yuki from said that he was neutered. The papers from the vet even state neutered male. But when I look at him he still clearly has his...furman bits. My roommates mom who has been raising cats for a long time even said..."there is no way that cat is neutered."

Did I just get scammed or is there a way to neuter then without taking away the parts

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sounds strange?? was it allegedly done recently? if so, maybe still some swelling? i'm not sure if when they neuter they actually remove the offending articles or leave them to 'shrivel' away - they may not have done this yet if they don't remove them.

maybe an admin error?? get him checked!!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how old he was when he was done, you might still be able to see things, you can with my neighbours cat who was neutered at age 8 (he was a stray). If he is in the house with you, it is easy to tell if he is neutered by the smell of his litter tray!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males I had done older still had bits, they were deflated and not like little marbles though

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on how the neutering was done, it might look like there's still something there. However, a vet or some other experienced person can quickly check for sure, doesn't take but a second to know.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different ways of neutering - vets take various ways of 'finishing'. My Wellington who was done in Bosnia, still looks from behind as if he has everything, but if you touch him you can feel that the sacs are empty. Bonaparte and Milo on the other hand, done here in France, look like everything was just sliced off and sewn up. I must say I prefer the look of Wellington.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you cannot feel anything in the sacs, he's neutered. I've only had one cat that sorta still had the evidence (my first one) cause he was neutered before I adopted him.

The rest were done at a young age and really had nothing left.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of mine were neutered at 6-7 months, the other was neutered at 12 months. They look very obviously male. A common method of neutering (due to quick recovery time as no stitches are needed, just a little surgical glue) is for the vet to make a tiny incision in the scrotum and remove the testes through the incision, but leave the scrotum in place. Depending on how well developed the cat was before neutering, it still looks as if they have all their bits. If you feel the scrotum though, it will be empty.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

A common method of neutering (due to quick recovery time as no stitches are needed, just a little surgical glue) is for the vet to make a tiny incision in the scrotum and remove the testes through the incision, but leave the scrotum in place. Depending on how well developed the cat was before neutering, it still looks as if they have all their bits. If you feel the scrotum though, it will be empty.
Just give them a squeeze. If it feels like there's something (like a tiny bean sized water balloon) in there, then he wasn't neutered. If it just squishes together and feels empty, he's neutered.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Males I had done older still had bits, they were deflated and not like little marbles though
my Chip has something back there... but i can't touch them. well, not & keep my hand!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Just give them a squeeze. If it feels like there's something (like a tiny bean sized water balloon) in there, then he wasn't neutered. If it just squishes together and feels empty, he's neutered.
Exactly... just give a little squeeze... you'll know if they're empty... Ollie still has his packaging, but it's empty - he still likes to show them off though! I actually like that he still appears in tact and if possible with my future male cats, I will request that method.... at least he still *thinks* he's "whole" hahaha

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My feral baby, Hercules was neutered at 5 mos. of age. He still looks like he has something back there - he was however, neutered. Just give him a squeeze (if he'll let you).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I actually like that he still appears in tact and if possible with my future male cats, I will request that method.... at least he still *thinks* he's "whole" hahaha
Depends when you get them done, my boys were done at 10 weeks so there wasn't much there to start with

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How funny, I always wondered why it still looked like they had their boy bits - I never squeezed them though - I did think about it to see if there was anything there, but it felt so wrong