buprenex?

finney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my kitten was taken in last week for neuter and first boosters. he started acting kind of funny and lethargic the last few days. took him to the vet today and he was given fluids and a drug called buprenex. i gave it to him not knowing that it would do what it did but guess its a pain med. 10 hours later, he is still 'out of it' and not able to walk very well. his eyes are rolled back in his head and it is worrying me. the vet said he had a virus. any words of advice?? thank you. just anyone who has give thier cat this drug and the side effects would be super helpful for me...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco took that Med last Nov and she did not act like that at all. Are you sure its a virus. Lucy had shots and they almost killed her. Your cat is ascting like she did after she got her shots. Did they say what the pain med is for? I would call the vet and say he still isnt acting right. I never had a male cat get pain meds after being fixed.

hippycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Panda has been diagnosed with Lymphoma and the cancer has spread to his kidneys and chest. The vet mentioned Buprenex as a good option but wasn't willing to prescribe it. Please, please, can anyone help -maybe a website or a vet who prescribes? I live in London, Panda is 12 years old, was on Prednisone and is now on a longterm injection. The vet said it would certainly improve his quality of life and gave us the correct dosage - but not a prescription.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by finney

my kitten was taken in last week for neuter and first boosters. he started acting kind of funny and lethargic the last few days. took him to the vet today and he was given fluids and a drug called buprenex. i gave it to him not knowing that it would do what it did but guess its a pain med. 10 hours later, he is still 'out of it' and not able to walk very well. his eyes are rolled back in his head and it is worrying me. the vet said he had a virus. any words of advice?? thank you. just anyone who has give thier cat this drug and the side effects would be super helpful for me...
Call you vet and ask them why they prescribed a pain med for a viral infection, and please describe your kitten's behavior to him. If this is an infection from the neuter, it would more likely be bacterial based and would require antibiotics rather than just fluids. If there is an infection, it might explain the bupronex, but doesn't explain why you don't have antibiotics.

Call your vet and ask a lot of questions. We can only speculate online.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of my boys had reactions to the second set of kitten vaccines. I waited in between the neuter and vaccinations because it is hard on mine's immune system. Too much at one time takes it's toll on the system for some cats.

Maybe another call to the vet about reactions to either the vaccinations or the sedation used for the neuter. It was explained by our vet that no anesthesia is used for males, only sedative. Ouch ! Hope he feels better.