Need help...having her commited

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend just threatened suicide tonight twice because I wouldn't call her. I am sick and tired of this so I am going to have her commited if I can. I need help from any Canadians that live near hamilton to see if I can leagly do that and help me find what number I can call to do it.

I want to do this ASAP so please get back to me but if you want to PM the information to me that will be okay I guess.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's an adult, you aren't any relation to her, so there is nothing you can do.

I have to ask you again, you yourself have just said "I'm sick and tired of this", are you sure this is the type of life you want to lead, being lead around by a nose ring by a manipulative woman who threatens to kill herself if she doesn't get her own way?

I was with someone like that for almost 4 years. I stayed because of his manipulation tactics such as "I'm going to kill myself if you leave." Finally I just up and left and as I was walking down the street, he was yelling that he was going to hang himself. I told him to go right ahead. That was in the 1980's. I ran into him about 5 or 6 years ago. He was still very much alive.

While I usually take threats of suicide seriously, I don't when it comes to your "girl friend", because she is crazy as a loon and uses whatever she can do to manipulate you into doing her bidding, and she's been succeeding.

Personally if it were me I'd tell her to do whatever the heck she wants because I'm done with her. The good news is that if she does attempt it,which I highly doubt that she will, she will be hospitalized and committed to a psych ward for a period of time.

Because you are no relation to her and she is an adult, there is nothing you can do other than to walk away or continue to be her puppet on a string.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Erm.... how can you know this unless you have talked to her????
In which case, wouldn't that make it invalid???

Plus I don't think YOU can do anything, you are not a family member.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are married you have no rights to have her committed, she lives at home if you are so worried call her parents and speak to them, especially since you are going on a phone call for evidence.

Why not just call her and speak to her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Despite my better judgment she got her phone call and she admitted to having a knife drawn on her self at one point in time. I know I should walk away I'm just afraid of what will happen if I do. I wish I had a way to contact her support group to make sure they are around her when I leave just to make sure nothing happens. The amount of love she has for me is scary and I know I can't deal with it anymore I just don't want to be responsible for what she does or what happens to her. Her parents don't give a rats butt about her, I know I have seen them interact with her. So calling them wouldn't help but her friends would...if only I could contact them with out her getting upset about it.

I just tried to ask for there email addresses and she refused to give them to me...I see the next few days being very hard and taxing but I have to do this.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Admitted or claimed? Love or dependence?
Seriously consider which in both cases. Im thinking the latter for both. People who are serious about suicide aren't pushed over the edge because of a single phone call. People who are serious about suicide dont use those threats to manipulate people. Period. You need to focus on your education at this point, not a romantic relationship, and certainly not one with this level of craziness - that as much as you might want to, you can not help or have any impact on at this time/distance. You feel frustrated and like there is nothing you can do because this is a frustrating situation in which there is nothing you can do. Except save yourself. Do not lose yourself or let yourself be brought down, because that will only make it worse for both of you in the long (and short!) term. She is unwilling to help herself, and you are enabling by not forcing her to do so by cutting the ties (at least temporarily until she can get her s&^% together). If you are seriously worried about her, telephone Hamilton police and explain the situation. They will send someone (police or ambulance) to her house to check on her, which will either give her help she needs, or the wake up call to stop messing around she needs, whichever it may be. (905) 546-4925 is their non-emergency number. If shes claiming its imminent, do not hesitate and call 911, they can route an ambulance from your area to hers as long as you are very specific about the address. Just remember, you can not help her. She needs professional help and you are not a professional. You have entered a state of co-dependence which you must escape from for your own good. I think you might find some valuable information here on patterns of co-dependency
http://www.codependents.org/foundati...s-patterns.php
and here on depression fallout (experienced by partners/family of those with depression)
http://www.depressionfallout.com/
It is not selfish to worry about yourself.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dude, she lives with her parents, so you obviously have her home number. You need to be talking to them - not us.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was seriously suicidal she wouldn't have warned you..she would have done it by now. This is a cry for attention. It's hard to get out of that situation, but you have to. And, if she does do it (God forbid) that is her choice. It is not your fault that she reacted that way, but honestly I don't think she will.

I agree, if you are really worried about her, call the non-emergency number posted earlier. I know she is in a bad situation with her parents and you can't talk to them, but maybe if the cops come over they may open their eyes (don't hold your breath for that). But really, that is all you can do. You can't commit her because you aren't related to her.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does Canada have 5150 laws like in the United States? If someone is intending harm towards themselves or another person, you can call 911 and attempt to have them committed in the USA. The operator on the phone can determine whether there is real harm. You don't have to be a family member to report a suicidal person. Ultimately, the police/ambulance will determine if they are to be placed in a psychiatric ward. A family member does not have the authority to commit adults unless a medical/psychiatric professional deems them to be danger to oneself.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wonder who is the co-dependant here. how many threads are you going to make containing similar 'bad' interactions with this girl.

get out or get on with it.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

Does Canada have 5150 laws like in the United States? If someone is intending harm towards themselves or another person, you can call 911 and attempt to have them committed in the USA. The operator on the phone can determine whether there is real harm. You don't have to be a family member to report a suicidal person. Ultimately, the police/ambulance will determine if they are to be placed in a psychiatric ward. A family member does not have the authority to commit adults unless a medical/psychiatric professional deems them to be danger to oneself.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. The cops can determine if she's a threat to herself or others and take her into custody.

I had to to do this with a girlfriend once. She threatened to kill herself if I didn't take her back. So I called 911 and they sent cops over and took her to a psych evaluation. She was there 72 hours and they determined she was then OK to return home. It worked perfectly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That exactally what I wanted to do but instead I did some crafty internet work and was able to track down the email accounts of her friends and I emailed them to keep an eye on her. I could call her parents but there out of town for a week so there really of little help. I doubt they would even come home from there vacation. I know I am tried of having to deal with her after being with her for 1 year, I can't imagine being in there shoes and having to deal with her for 30 years.

Its done, I broke up with her last night and then spent a very sleepless night outside thinking about stuff. This was the first morning I watched the sun rise in a long time. But I am now single and, given some time I know I will feel okay. But right now I just need to try and get some sleep.

Good Night everyone.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am glad that you saw the light and broke up with her. Hopefully the advice many people have provided you in the past few weeks helped.
I would like to think that you will have no further contact with her. I'm sure she might try to contact you but its for your own peace of mind to have no further contact with her.

You deserve a much much better girl than her. I hope you can concentrate on your studies and devout the time you spent on her to your classwork.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you broke things off with her. It was a bad situation to be in, and judging by your previous threads about her, you probably should have done it awhile ago. I do hope you can stay away from her, because like you said, you cant see yourself dealing with her for the rest of your life.

If she had really been suicidal, she would have done it. They dont tell people they're going to do it - that is just an attention cry.