TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just got home from the North Texas TCS meetup...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got home from the North Texas TCS meetup... - Page 2

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
Lee, I always make Basmati rice too. (I started when I was married to my husband who is from Iraq.) The Iranian women always made it with the currants for special occassions at the Mosque. Mine is good but never tastes quite the same. Does Sherri put the currants in while it's cooking or after it is cooked? Does she use dried currants? Could I by chance, get her recipe?
So I pressed Sherry for the recipe after everyone left. She claims to not have the recipes for any of her dishes as she is just one of those awesome cooks who simply "makes" things. She was going to try to write down what she does. For the rice dish, I recall her saying that there were pomegranets, pistachios, onions and some other things.

So Lee - please remind Sherry to write down those recipes and get them to us!

If you go back to the food spread, from front to back (if I remember the order):

Rice with pomegranet, pistachio, etc.
Rice with almost a jasmine type flavoring
Salmon
Eggplant
Beef
Chicken with pomegranets, etc
A ground beef dish that at first looks like huge meatballs but are mixed with rice and seasonings that were out of this world.
Stuffed grape leaves
post #32 of 57
Looks like you all had a wonderful time!
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
Does Sherri put the currants in while it's cooking or after it is cooked? Does she use dried currants? Could I by chance, get her recipe?
I questioned her at length on that! She told me she warms a tiny bit of red onion in a little olive oil, then stirs in whole red currants and slivered pistachios and almonds. I don't remember her mentioning pomegranates -- but I was surprised how vivid and plump the "currants" were, so maybe those were actually pomegranates! And then she spread it over cooked basmati rice, to which she'd added a little butter and saffron.

But Lee, if you can get her to write down a proper recipe for us, we'd sure love it! I can hardly wait to try making it, but first I've got to get some of that wonderful Iranian bread with sesame seeds on top to go with it (we had that this morning at breakfast, when I went back over to take Amy to the airport). Luckily, Sheri told me about a Persian market just a few blocks away!
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
I questioned her at length on that! She told me she warms a tiny bit of red onion in a little olive oil, then stirs in whole red currants and slivered pistachios and almonds. I don't remember her mentioning pomegranates -- but I was surprised how vivid and plump the "currants" were, so maybe those were actually pomegranates! And then she spread it over cooked basmati rice, to which she'd added a little butter and saffron.

But Lee, if you can get her to write down a proper recipe for us, we'd sure love it! I can hardly wait to try making it, but first I've got to get some of that wonderful Iranian bread with sesame seeds on top to go with it (we had that this morning at breakfast, when I went back over to take Amy to the airport). Luckily, Sheri told me about a Persian market just a few blocks away!
It does sound slightly different then the recipe the Iranian ladies used to make. It actually sounds more like how I make mine. Except I never cooked the currants with the onions.
post #35 of 57
Phew, I just got home (finally!!) about an hour ago from all my Sunday stuff!

It was so much fun to meet all of you guys!!! Thanks again, Lee, for letting us use your place to meet, and thank Shari again for us for all of the wonderful, wonderful food!

And Amy - Chay is in love with HIS catnip buddy. Billy isn't allowed to play with it - he got antsy when I tried. He is now lying exhausted on the bed next to it. I was going to take some video, but I left my camera at the church! I'll get it back tomorrow and definitely put up a movie or two. But he says to tell you "Thank you meowy meowy much!"
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
"Thank you meowy meowy much!"
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
And Amy - Chay is in love with HIS catnip buddy. Billy isn't allowed to play with it - he got antsy when I tried. He is now lying exhausted on the bed next to it. I was going to take some video, but I left my camera at the church! I'll get it back tomorrow and definitely put up a movie or two. But he says to tell you "Thank you meowy meowy much!"
mine enjoyed theirs, as well. also, Pam - they LOVED the little mats - i added catnip & Pixel likes it better than the Buddy - she said to tell you thank you purrry much! []
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
mine enjoyed theirs, as well. also, Pam - they LOVED the little mats - i added catnip & Pixel likes it better than the Buddy - she said to tell you thank you purrry much! []
Ha, glad to hear it! Tell Pixel she's very welcome, and that they're very easy to make if her Meowmy wants to make her more!

Billy finally got to try the catnip buddy - he likes it too! But not as much as Chay does.
post #39 of 57
Thread Starter 
Sterling grabbed the catnip buddy and licked it all over, so Ella and Punkin sniffed at it and said, "Yuck!"

Sterling is such a hog.
post #40 of 57
It looks and sounds like you all had a fab time!! Can't wait to see the videos now
post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
Pam - they LOVED the little mats - i added catnip & Pixel likes it better than the Buddy - she said to tell you thank you purrry much! []
Here too. I put mine up on my bed and the cats immediately laid across them trying to hog them so no one else could take them away. When one got up to leave, another jumped right on it. I should have taken more of them home - they are a big hit in my house!! Thank you so much Pam!!!
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
Ha, glad to hear it! Tell Pixel she's very welcome, and that they're very easy to make if her Meowmy wants to make her more!

Billy finally got to try the catnip buddy - he likes it too! But not as much as Chay does.
Persi brought his up into the bed so that we could have three "animals" in bed with us!! Thanks again, Pam.
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Videos tomorrow.
The videos have been posted in a separate thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175453
post #44 of 57
Lee, what a pleasure it was to be able to share in your meet-up from afar. Your wife is lovely and wonderful to do this for TCS members.

If I lived anywhere within a 5 hour car ride to you I'd be there next year in a heartbeat. That food just about took my breath away - I love good food. Bless you and your family for doing such a nice thing.
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Lee, what a pleasure it was to be able to share in your meet-up from afar. Your wife is lovely and wonderful to do this for TCS members.

If I lived anywhere within a 5 hour car ride to you I'd be there next year in a heartbeat. That food just about took my breath away - I love good food. Bless you and your family for doing such a nice thing.
Couldn't have said it better!
post #46 of 57
Aww, it looks like you all had a fab time! I`m so envious!
I`m off to watch these videos
post #47 of 57
Pam (Sandtigress) was so sweet -- when she found she had some extra kittypads, she let me take two, so our Abby could have one in her private room (yes, she's a little reclusive)... and this morning when I went in to see her, she was curled up in the middle of the carpet, gently rubbing her cheek on that fleecy fringe! Awwww...

Thank you, Pam!
post #48 of 57
It sounds as if y'all had a wonderful time! I sure wish we could have made it..

It's nice to be able to put faces to usernames.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Here too. I put mine up on my bed and the cats immediately laid across them trying to hog them so no one else could take them away. When one got up to leave, another jumped right on it. I should have taken more of them home - they are a big hit in my house!! Thank you so much Pam!!!
Persi loved the tent as you can see in the KatKlik2 video http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175453 but Alley usurped it and it is now in her special hiding place and makes her feel so much more secure from the dreaded noise of the terrorvator!Thanks again, Amy!
post #50 of 57
Wow, I'm kind of surprised how much everyone's kitties love the little mats! Mine couldn't care less. More catnip needed, I guess!

If I get my camera back tonight, I'll take some video with Chay and his catnip buddy. He is just in looooove.
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Pam (Sandtigress) was so sweet -- when she found she had some extra kittypads, she let me take two, so our Abby could have one in her private room (yes, she's a little reclusive)... and this morning when I went in to see her, she was curled up in the middle of the carpet, gently rubbing her cheek on that fleecy fringe! Awwww...

Thank you, Pam!
i got 2, as well. when i got home from IKEA today, Chip was lying on the floor w/his face on one of them
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
Wow, I'm kind of surprised how much everyone's kitties love the little mats! Mine couldn't care less. More catnip needed, I guess!

If I get my camera back tonight, I'll take some video with Chay and his catnip buddy. He is just in looooove.
It must be pretty potent because Persi is still going insane over his! If you want to see how insane catnip can make him, check the top two pictures in this link out: superchiro.com/persi5 Maybe he really is a vicious cat...
post #53 of 57
Thanks so much for sharing your pics and videos. The food looked wonderful!
post #54 of 57
Lee, how amazingly wonderful of you and your wife to host this! It looks FABULOUS! Of course it's so nice to put faces to names (and real names to user names!)! You all obviously had a great time, and how cool is that?

...and I'm not even hungry and I was drooling over all that food!

Laurie
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
That's M R Blanche. I know, it looks like "mister."


Let me know if that doesn't work.
Well, now you remind me of an old joke.

Read the letters as words when separate.

M R Pigs. M R NOT PIGS. O S A R. L I B, M R PIGS
post #56 of 57
Mmhmm. Do you know the James Taylor song like that? The chorus goes, "B S U R, S U C, S I M I M."
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Persi loved the tent as you can see in the KatKlik2 video http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175453 but Alley usurped it and it is now in her special hiding place and makes her feel so much more secure from the dreaded noise of the terrorvator!Thanks again, Amy!
Very nice to hear that Alley got the tent!! I was so hoping that it would ease her fears of the terrorvator!

Does everyone know what the terrorvator is? I know that when you started it up one time, I jumped at the sound!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Just got home from the North Texas TCS meetup...