It's time to go.....HURRICANE GUSTAV!! (this is long...sorry)

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my parish received mandatory evacuation orders today that start tomorrow morning at 7:00. We had already decided to leave. My grandmother is in a nursing home here. They evacuated them to a church in Opelousas so my mother will be meeting up with them there. My dad & I are going to a cousin's house in Lawtell, which is West of Opelousas.

The madness started this morning when I tried to go fill up my car with gas. On my way to a Chevron, I passed a Circle K. No cars there at all, but the tanker was there filling up. I went to the Chevron because I have a Chevron gas card. Guess what? No gas. I went to another one in town...no gas. So I decided to go to an ATM and withdraw $100 so I could go back to the Circle K and fill up there. I went to one ATM only to be told by 2 people walking away that it wasn't working. They also told me the main branch wasn't working either. So I went back to near the 2nd Chevron station that I went to earlier to try a different branch. The ATM window said that "windows had not started properly, etc." WTH???!!!! So I had to go back home and get some cash, then back to the Circle K. By that time, there was a huge line, so I just got at the end. I was probably there for about 30 - 45 minutes. Then I went back home. I then called one of my brothers to see if he could take me to pick up some plywood to board up some of my windows (not all of them...I have 19). I just wanted to board up the ones on the south & east sides of my house. That made 9 windows & 2 doors. He met me at my house, in a different town. I called Lowes and they said they had 1/2" plywood. When we got there..none. We tried another Lowe's on the way to my brother's work...none. Then we went to my brother's work and he loaned me 9 sheets of plywood. I'll just have to pay him back. We went back to my house and boarded up the windows. I was finished up things at my house, shutting off gas, water, and power. He called me and said, "you left your black thing in my truck." ARRRGGGGHHHHH! That's my walet. I had to go to his house to pick it up. Then I had to stop at a grocery store to get myself some food. I picked up a case of water, bags of Ramen Noodles, & snacks. I finally got home around 6:00 or so tonight. I have been non-stop packing things and getting ready. My parents say we are probably leaving tonight instead of tomorrow morning. Contra-flow is starting tomorrow morning at 4:00. I have one cage set up in the back of my Durango with a divider. My 3 cats will be in that. My mom's cat is going to ride with my dad. Then I have Foster, the outdoor cat that has been hanging around my house that I'm working on (yes, I've been working on it for a very long time) for the past 6 years or so. He will ride in a carrier in the front seat with me. He & my cats have never met. He is at my house that I'm working on. I locked him in the garage before I left. When we leave, since the road that my house is on is the main evacuation route, I will stop off there and get him from the garage on our way out. I've got cat food for all of them, 2 bottles of distilled water for them, & 2 litter boxes. Hopefully that will suffice.

This is probably the last time I'll be able to log on for awhile. I don't know if I'll be able to get online at my cousin's house. I know she has a computer...but once we lose power...........

Here is the latest track....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2.../at2008073.gif

Here are the latest computer models.....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...807_model3.gif

Here is where I live....red is New Orleans (for reference only) Blue is where I live...Green is where I will eventually be moving to....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...a-road-map.jpg

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I dont miss my hurricanes days when I lived in Florida (miss the weather though). I hope you and your family and everyone down there are safe and secure!

Here's to Gustav stalling early!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you got my PM, Sophie, and the offer stills stands.

Many, many & prayers
that y'all will be all right!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a basic distrust of straight-line projected tracks. That is, if the track is in an almost-straight line, I have my doubts. Sure hope I'm right this time.

Tomorrow is the 108th anniversary of the hurricane that destroyed Galveston, "Isaac's Storm."

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be safe with your family and I hope the cats survive their road trip ok.

I hope you will be far enough away from the major portion of this hurricane and that your house is ok.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
eep good luck and stay safe! hope everything turns out alright for you and your family

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All my friends back at Tulane have had to evacuate. Seems like three years ago all over again.
for you and everyone else on the Gulf Coast.