Food brand change advice needed

lady jayne grey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my cats have been eating Nutro NC dry for years, liking it and doing well on it. However, in the near future I may have to change for financial reasons. I don't want (many) fillers, no by-products, and I know meat or meat meal should be one of the first three ingredients. I think Iams and Science Diet are not options.

On the other hand, NC has kept me away from the vet for anything but routine things, so maybe it would be better to stay with it (the devil you know is better then the devil you don't).

What do you think?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it has corn wheat and soy but purina naturals is meat meal based and about 1$ ( nc is about 2)

if you have a petsmart authority is good

have you looked at nutro max ??

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are using MAX cat here and the boys prefer it to Natural choice.

Around here it runs about $19 for a 15 lb which is great for us since we do about 60% dry 40% wet--they eat MAX wet as well--wouldnt touch natural choice wet at all.

Leslie

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to consider is checking to see how much you'd be feeding and whether you're actually saving money - for some of the less expensive brands you end up feeding more and not saving any money in the end. That said, as Sharky said, take a look at Petsmart's Authority, or Max Cat.

I know it's a hard decision - I'm cutting back a bit on my own food to make sure I keep feeding Nutro's NC to my babies. Oh, well, didn't need that deep dish pizza anyway.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I know it's a hard decision - I'm cutting back a bit on my own food to make sure I keep feeding Nutro's NC to my babies. Oh, well, didn't need that deep dish pizza anyway.

I've also considered switching from Royal Canin to a cheaper brand, but abandoned that idea and will cut back on other expenses. I've always joked that my cats eat better than I do.