Have You Ever Had A Caricature Done?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one done with my ex-husband years ago, and another one with my s/o about 2 years ago, when we went down to Galveston. There was a guy there who set up a place to do them in the "tourist's" section where they have a lot of shops and all. Both of the ones that I had done were really good: the artists were really talented!

My son had one done once with his ex-girlfriend: his turned out really good, too.

I think caricatures are pretty neat.
Have any of y'all ever had one done?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One was done of me way back in either kindergarten or 1st grade. I grew up in the Bay Area, and one day we had a visit from Morrie Turner, the cartoonist who draws Wee Pals (last I checked, he is still alive and drawing, but I'm not sure). He was a wonderful guy who talked about his work. He chose a few kids out of the audience and I was the first. I stood there in my jumper dress (that my mother made, I think it had pink). and he drew a caricature of me, adding a few things... I have it now, still rolled up. I can't afford the archival process to get it done properly (for poster sized paper, it would cost a small fortune for me... about 200 or so, with frame). I want it done eventually.

As I was typing this, I realized I've never taken a picture of it... so I just set it up on my metal front door and took a couple shots of it...

I still remember being picked and standing there next to his easel. Everyone else could see what he was doing... I had to wait... I probably got antsy... I've always been that way... so here's a shot of it:

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny that you should ask that. Last Sat., my health club had a member appreciation party. They always have good food, music and things like a magic show. This year, they had photo booths and 2 artists doing caricatures. Here are DH's and mine:

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket...ution/cat site party - web/100_0695.jpg[/IMG]

I suppose that is me, but that is definitely DH!

The party was better this year than any other year since I have been a member.
The band they hired is well-known in the Bay Area.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

One was done of me way back in either kindergarten or 1st grade. I grew up in the Bay Area, and one day we had a visit from Morrie Turner, the cartoonist who draws Wee Pals (last I checked, he is still alive and drawing, but I'm not sure). He was a wonderful guy who talked about his work. He chose a few kids out of the audience and I was the first. I stood there in my jumper dress (that my mother made, I think it had pink). and he drew a caricature of me, adding a few things... I have it now, still rolled up. I can't afford the archival process to get it done properly (for poster sized paper, it would cost a small fortune for me... about 200 or so, with frame). I want it done eventually.

As I was typing this, I realized I've never taken a picture of it... so I just set it up on my metal front door and took a couple shots of it...

I still remember being picked and standing there next to his easel. Everyone else could see what he was doing... I had to wait... I probably got antsy... I've always been that way... so here's a shot of it:
I forgot to say is that you have something that could possibly be valuable. Can you get to an auction appraiser? He or she will tell you how to preserve it or not and may give you an estimate on its value. Make sure you don't take the first offer and make sure everyone is wearing gloves. You may want to contact "Antiques Roadshow."

Cute picture, BTW.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a professional one done, but my step-brother did a quick one of me when we were about 12. I never care for them because they just accent the worst features most of the time.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to look for a few Ive had done, they are put away somewhere. recently (like within the last few years) Jim and Snowball had a really cute one done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I never care for them because they just accent the worst features most of the time.

I know what you mean. I have a big nose, but the guy who did our caricature made it even bigger!

I have to say though that I DID like the fact that he gave me more of what I DON'T have on top!