stupid question... will they fall down?

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are moving to our new house in about 2-3 weeks. I am concerned about Piper and Poppy. Our current house is a 1 story, but our new is a 2 story and the top story overlooks the loft, leaving a big gap in the bottom of the railing. will the kittens fall down?? It would definitely kill them if they did, but I'm not sure if I can keep them trapped up until they learn full instincts... they are 11 weeks old right now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not, but you might want to put some soft cushions there for awhile just in case.

I usually confine my kittens when I can't watch them until they are 4-5 months old.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Probably not, but you might want to put some soft cushions there for awhile just in case.

I usually confine my kittens when I can't watch them until they are 4-5 months old.
or maybe some baby gates or chicken wire?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For babies, yes I would try to find something to block the area. We have an open area, too that I put an iron fence up because I know that two of my adult cats are acrobats and would at least try to jump to another ledge they could get to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is, it's my parents house and you can guess... Well... spend a year building a house yourself and you don't want chicken wire to be the first thing you see. oh well, i guess i'll just leave them in the bedroom until they get a bid older.

krussell3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same issue. To my horror, my puppy actually fell (unharmed) on to the concret floor below. I dont care how bad it looks I have had the chicken wire up in my apartment ever since.

Recently I got a kitten and worried that she would climb the chicken wire and fall down to the other side.

I am having some velvet curtins that I can secure the area top to bottom so I won't have the chicken wire anymore and so the kitten can't climb.

Good luck with your new place!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by K.J.

We are moving to our new house in about 2-3 weeks. I am concerned about Piper and Poppy. Our current house is a 1 story, but our new is a 2 story and the top story overlooks the loft, leaving a big gap in the bottom of the railing. will the kittens fall down?? It would definitely kill them if they did, but I'm not sure if I can keep them trapped up until they learn full instincts... they are 11 weeks old right now.
I moved from a flat to a three story home. It has a circular elevator with space all around it where a cat could free fall to the first floor. My two cats go nowhere near that space and I am confident that they never will. If I am wrong I will of course regret it for the rest of my life but I just think cats are smarter than we give them credit for on such things. We also have a balcony on the second and third floors where a cat could squeeze between the bars so I do not let them on the balcony. I really keep thinking I should put a screen of some kind around the elevator, something I have procrastinated about for three months. I think the instinct you talk about is definately in place as far as my cats are concerned so next year I will probably be still procratinating. Maybe I am a poor daddy in this respect but I am trusting in their instinct. (They are 2 and 3 years old (and I expect them to be 20 some day)).