I met my new neighbours

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met my new neighbours. The ones who rented the apartment across from me after that Lysol sprayer moved out.

A married couple in their 40's
When I'm in my living room I hear them coming and going by the sound of their door opening and closing, but beyond that I don't hear them at all. And the nice thing is that when I'm in bed I am not woken up by yelling / shrieking, slamming doors and running in the hallways. I hope it lasts!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One secret to having good neighbors is being a good neighbor!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That will help you out when you are working and want to stay on a schedule without all the noise (and smells) you had before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

One secret to having good neighbors is being a good neighbor!
I am a good neighbour. I keep to myself. I don't have parties and I make sure that my TV can't be heard in the hallway unless you are right outside my door.

However, that hasn't made a lick of difference since 2003 when they started to raise the rent 10 and 12% every year and all of the good neighbours on my floor who were here for years moved out. Since then they end up renting to "communities" of people because not many want to or can pay $700.00 for a one bedroom that has no air conditioning, no balcony, parking is extra. There are absolutely no amenities in my building. There is one washer and dryer per floor. No dishwashers in the suites and no in suite storage.

On my list of things to do next year is move. I'll be able to because I'll be working and can afford the expense of movers etc.

Originally Posted by sarahp

Hooray, that's fabulous!!! Do they like cats?
I don't know. I just saw him in the elevator and I asked him if he had rented the apartment across from me. I don't even know his name. I'm not interested in knowing them or anyone in my building beyond saying hello in the hallway.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You should take a "welcome" cake to them and let them know you appreciate them being there and why
Our neighbours brought us cookies when we bought our house. I thought it was wonderful

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope they're a lot better than the ones you had previously.
As I recall, there were a lot of problems with those peeps.

We're really lucky! We have really great neighbors on both sides of us - which is highly unusual in this area .

I hope they'll be as nice as ours are, Linda!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know all about those apartment woes.
Fortunately we have had a few noisey ones leave and got some clean quiet people. Hooray!

I too have a mature couple living right across the hall. They are quiet and it is soooo nice. We see each other alot because we both come and go quite a bit.

They have a cute dog...so I chat with the dog while they have him outside.
As for talking with them I like to keep things simple also. Just nice hello's and genuine how are you's. I don't need to know their life stories!

My coworker dated their son for a short while, she even went to Christmas dinner with them. I find that amusing..what a small world eh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Linda get to know them. You don't have to live in each others apartments if you know what i mean?, but it's nice to have a chat or a coffee with a neighbour
A chat in the elevator when we're coming or going or getting the mail is fine. I prefer to just go about my business and not befriend my apartment neighbours. I've had too many experiences where people just started to take things for granted and were always at my door for coffee to waste away their afternoon or evening, or knocking to borrow something instead of walking to the store. When I moved here I decided that I'll know my neighbours in passing, but not beyond that.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new neighbors!

They sound a lot better than your old ones...although I'll miss your Lysol stories and the like
:

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm well...I could come and knock on your door..lol
you never know ..one day I may just do that...
hellooooooooooooo
can I borrow a can of cat food..
lol