Another new game for Jack*Video clip added*

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember a couple of months ago i posted about Jack doing this to the door?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture212.flv

All that stopped since i started clipping his claws every week, but now he does it on the bed?. I lie giggling when he digs on the duvet like he was in his litterbox because he does it so fast, but after he's done it he litterally throws himself down against me and falls asleep. It's as if he's making his bed comfy to lie on?

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How funny! He is a character! That is what I love about cats, they all
have their own little personalities....they are alot alike, but then there is one or two things that make each one of them different and so special! I have continuous laughter over here! Jack is so cute doing that....

Monique

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmmmm......I've seen some of my cats do that before but it was usually on the wall next to a litter box. It was almost like they felt the need to bury things within a 3 foot radius.

You got me stumped on this one Susan! The only thought I do have is perhaps there is a smell that he's attracted to somehow and he's trying to bury it.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ginger does this in the bathtub. Just digging to china on the china.
I'm not sure why she does it, though. But she also kneads bread like there's no tomorrow before laying down like she has to soften up the blanket to lay her pretty little head on. Maybe that's the "macho" way of kneading?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The only thought I do have is perhaps there is a smell that he's attracted to somehow and he's trying to bury it.
I've changed the fabric softener recently so i wonder if it's that?. He digs that fast i'm expecting him to take off

Originally Posted by Bella713

Mario does the same thing, but he has no claws
Luckily, now that i clip Jacks claws it's fine otherwise he'd have it shredded

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still convinced that Steve and Jack were separated at birth. They seem to have similar personalities.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

All that stopped since i started clipping his claws every week, but now he does it on the bed?. I lie giggling when he digs on the duvet like he was in his litterbox because he does it so fast, but after he's done it he litterally throws himself down against me and falls asleep. It's as if he's making his bed comfy to lie on?
I posted in the past, regarding Steve keeping us up at night. Unfortunately, I've had to keep Steve and Gigi locked downstairs at night. The reason? He starts digging on the duvet and will continue for at least 20 to 40 minutes!
Then, when he's finished, he'll walk away for 10-15 minutes, but then start up again.
See the pattern? This goes on all night. So, I thought I would remove the duvet once summer arrived, but he still does it with the sheets or light blanket.

I wish Steve would just dig once and fall asleep. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Originally Posted by valanhb

Ginger does this in the bathtub. Just digging to china on the china.
I'm not sure why she does it, though.
It's so funny you mentioned the bathroom. Just this morning, Steve was sitting on the toilet seat, digging along the side of the toilet tank?!? Why would any cat do this?

I've given up trying to understand him. Now, I just call him special.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Ansel does this as well. Sometimes he will do it on one of the lower kitchen cabinet doors. He has been know to open a kitchen cabinet door, go inside, and then do this to the door from inside.
He also does it when he is outside on the enclosed patio. If he wants to come in, he will jump on the windowsill at the kitchen sink and scratch at the window to let us know he wants in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

He starts digging on the duvet and will continue for at least 20 to 40 minutes!
Then, when he's finished, he'll walk away for 10-15 minutes, but then start up again.
:
I'm pleased Jack's is only for a couple of minutes. Don't you just wish they could speak though so they could tell us why they do things like that?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mean to come along and sound like a know-it-all here, honestly I don't, but when cats do this, they are marking their territory. Susan, if you've recently changed fabric softener, then he is trying to put his own scent back onto the doona. Cats have scent glands in the pads of their paws and so when they scratch or knead, while they are covering waste or showing affection, they are also depositing scent. It's a claim thing, like, This is MINE, you can't have it.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have got to get a video of Jack doing this Susan.

He is such a sweet boy.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forest does his own version of this same thing. It's one-pawed and a lot more wobbly because he has CH, but it's pretty much the same. He usually does it when he wants in or out of someplace. We figured it was his version of knocking, but gayef's probably right.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jack does this at least 2 times a day to the shower curtain--more depending upon whether meowmy leaves the bathroom door open.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pearl does this too -- to the glass in the front door if I'm outside, and to the bathroom mirror. I've never thought of it as the same thing as kneading (or "makin' biscuits," as we call it), but I guess they could be related...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Remember a couple of months ago i posted about Jack doing this to the door?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture212.flv
Aww he's just like my Farley

Farley does that on doors, walls, the floor, but particularly on the wardrobe which I got from someone who owned a dog and I know that a cat lived here with the previous tenants so I've just assumed he's scent marking.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question about the behavior of Jack's mom. How in the world do you keep your house so clean? Please come clean my house

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

I have a question about the behavior of Jack's mom. How in the world do you keep your house so clean? Please come clean my house
Sorry Susan - had to laugh! You can come clean our house too!

Shelly digs to China in the bathroom sink, "buries" his food (which is hysterical when Ming Loy's trying to finish what he left behind and he's trying to bury it), and digs a nest in our bed, on our pillows, on his bed (next to our bed at the same height) before he lies down.

As to Jack? Probably the fabric softener change like Gaye said?
Susan, you'll have to learn to communicate psychically with him!

Laurie