TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Another new game for Jack*Video clip added*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another new game for Jack*Video clip added*

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Remember a couple of months ago i posted about Jack doing this to the door?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture212.flv

All that stopped since i started clipping his claws every week, but now he does it on the bed?. I lie giggling when he digs on the duvet like he was in his litterbox because he does it so fast, but after he's done it he litterally throws himself down against me and falls asleep. It's as if he's making his bed comfy to lie on?
post #2 of 26
How funny! He is a character! That is what I love about cats, they all
have their own little personalities....they are alot alike, but then there is one or two things that make each one of them different and so special! I have continuous laughter over here! Jack is so cute doing that....

Monique
post #3 of 26
Hmmmmm......I've seen some of my cats do that before but it was usually on the wall next to a litter box. It was almost like they felt the need to bury things within a 3 foot radius.

You got me stumped on this one Susan! The only thought I do have is perhaps there is a smell that he's attracted to somehow and he's trying to bury it.
post #4 of 26
Mario does the same thing, but he has no claws
post #5 of 26
Ginger does this in the bathtub. Just digging to china on the china. I'm not sure why she does it, though. But she also kneads bread like there's no tomorrow before laying down like she has to soften up the blanket to lay her pretty little head on. Maybe that's the "macho" way of kneading?
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
The only thought I do have is perhaps there is a smell that he's attracted to somehow and he's trying to bury it.
I've changed the fabric softener recently so i wonder if it's that?. He digs that fast i'm expecting him to take off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Mario does the same thing, but he has no claws
Luckily, now that i clip Jacks claws it's fine otherwise he'd have it shredded
post #7 of 26
I am still convinced that Steve and Jack were separated at birth. They seem to have similar personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
All that stopped since i started clipping his claws every week, but now he does it on the bed?. I lie giggling when he digs on the duvet like he was in his litterbox because he does it so fast, but after he's done it he litterally throws himself down against me and falls asleep. It's as if he's making his bed comfy to lie on?
I posted in the past, regarding Steve keeping us up at night. Unfortunately, I've had to keep Steve and Gigi locked downstairs at night. The reason? He starts digging on the duvet and will continue for at least 20 to 40 minutes! Then, when he's finished, he'll walk away for 10-15 minutes, but then start up again. See the pattern? This goes on all night. So, I thought I would remove the duvet once summer arrived, but he still does it with the sheets or light blanket.

I wish Steve would just dig once and fall asleep. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Ginger does this in the bathtub. Just digging to china on the china. I'm not sure why she does it, though.
It's so funny you mentioned the bathroom. Just this morning, Steve was sitting on the toilet seat, digging along the side of the toilet tank?!? Why would any cat do this?

I've given up trying to understand him. Now, I just call him special.
post #8 of 26
My boy Ansel does this as well. Sometimes he will do it on one of the lower kitchen cabinet doors. He has been know to open a kitchen cabinet door, go inside, and then do this to the door from inside. He also does it when he is outside on the enclosed patio. If he wants to come in, he will jump on the windowsill at the kitchen sink and scratch at the window to let us know he wants in.
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Blue View Post
He starts digging on the duvet and will continue for at least 20 to 40 minutes! Then, when he's finished, he'll walk away for 10-15 minutes, but then start up again. :
I'm pleased Jack's is only for a couple of minutes. Don't you just wish they could speak though so they could tell us why they do things like that?
post #10 of 26
Butzie kneads my comforter where I am sleeping, so I guess she is tucking me in!
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Mario does the same thing, but he has no claws
Same with Bea....I find it adorable.
post #12 of 26
I don't mean to come along and sound like a know-it-all here, honestly I don't, but when cats do this, they are marking their territory. Susan, if you've recently changed fabric softener, then he is trying to put his own scent back onto the doona. Cats have scent glands in the pads of their paws and so when they scratch or knead, while they are covering waste or showing affection, they are also depositing scent. It's a claim thing, like, This is MINE, you can't have it.
post #13 of 26
You have got to get a video of Jack doing this Susan.
He is such a sweet boy.
post #14 of 26
Well I think gayef is actually right but I think he wants a glass front door! So he can see out front.
post #15 of 26
Forest does his own version of this same thing. It's one-pawed and a lot more wobbly because he has CH, but it's pretty much the same. He usually does it when he wants in or out of someplace. We figured it was his version of knocking, but gayef's probably right.
post #16 of 26
So Jack does this at least 2 times a day to the shower curtain--more depending upon whether meowmy leaves the bathroom door open.
post #17 of 26
Pearl does this too -- to the glass in the front door if I'm outside, and to the bathroom mirror. I've never thought of it as the same thing as kneading (or "makin' biscuits," as we call it), but I guess they could be related...
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
Remember a couple of months ago i posted about Jack doing this to the door?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture212.flv
Aww he's just like my Farley

Farley does that on doors, walls, the floor, but particularly on the wardrobe which I got from someone who owned a dog and I know that a cat lived here with the previous tenants so I've just assumed he's scent marking.
post #19 of 26
I have a question about the behavior of Jack's mom. How in the world do you keep your house so clean? Please come clean my house
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva View Post
I have a question about the behavior of Jack's mom. How in the world do you keep your house so clean? Please come clean my house
Sorry Susan - had to laugh! You can come clean our house too!

Shelly digs to China in the bathroom sink, "buries" his food (which is hysterical when Ming Loy's trying to finish what he left behind and he's trying to bury it), and digs a nest in our bed, on our pillows, on his bed (next to our bed at the same height) before he lies down.

As to Jack? Probably the fabric softener change like Gaye said? Susan, you'll have to learn to communicate psychically with him!

Laurie
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef View Post
It's a claim thing, like, This is MINE, you can't have it.
Typical man!. It's a king size bed and he has to claim it It's always the same spot that he does it as well. Either right behind my knees or in front of my tummy, then he just flops down next to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocats View Post
You have got to get a video of Jack doing this Susan.
I wish i could, but it's always when the lights out
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiva View Post
I have a question about the behavior of Jack's mom. How in the world do you keep your house so clean?
Easy Chris, i just keep on top of everything
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well i caught him on film this morning. And that's me that he's scratching against in bed

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Picture623.flv
post #23 of 26
Oh my gosh Jack.
post #24 of 26
Susan, he is so special. I loved the video.
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
I changed the bedding this morning, so if it has got something to do with the fabric conditioner then he's going to go crackers tonight at bedtime!!
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
I changed the bedding this morning, so if it has got something to do with the fabric conditioner then he's going to go crackers tonight at bedtime!!
Be sure to video his reaction...
we want to see more of Jack's goofy bed time antics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Another new game for Jack*Video clip added*