Evacuating?

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am living in Houma Louisiana, and Hurricane Gustov is heading directly towards us at the moment. Tonight on the way home from getting supplies, I was talking about evacuating and NyghtShade. My husband said we are leaving her here. I almost cried and wanted to tell him I am staying with her if I can't take her.

As far as I know we are taking her. I don't want to leave her in a house with a hurricane coming right at us. She's a good little cat, she traveled here from sheridan wyoming just fine. I am almost ready to get me a plane ticket and head back to wyoming so I don't have to leave her here. Am I nuts for wanting to stay here in the house if we evacuate and she has to stay? I fed her from a bottle when she was a baby.

I don't know what to think or feel. She's my babygirl, She cuddles with me every night. I would have rather left her in wyoming where she was safe, then bring her here to die in a hurricane without me near her. It's almost like I am throwing her into the middle of traffic to be hit by a car. I can't leave her.

SOrry for the rant, I am sad right now.

Be safe

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd take her. that's the only reason i have 5 carriers - just in case i ever have to take them all somewhere at the same time. they never go to the vet all at the same time - the carriers are in case of floods or fire or tornado - you know, major emergencies.
i'd probably tell him i wouldn't leave w/o her, if it were me. actually, i'd just state that she's going, too - i'd leave a human before one of my babies... at least a person has some options available. our cats are like children, in that we must take care of them in these types of situations.
please be careful!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You cant leave her there. You have to take her with you. Surely he wasnt serious when he said that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
as soon as I have a chance I will bring it up with my hubby's sister in law. We are staying with his brother and wife until we can get out own place. We don't even have a car right now. I was under the impression before I brought her here from Wyoming that she would be evacuated with us if a hurricane came our way. If I would have had to leave her durring an evacuation, I would have just left her in Wyoming. I would rather not have her with me and safe. I will be able to talk to them tomorrow when she takes me to get my glasses in the afternoon. As far as I know my hubby was breing a butt about it. He can be so cold sometimes. She's even HIS cat!!

I will definately take her no matter what he says, but unfortunately it ultimately is up to the people driving. They have 2 large dogs, one small dog, and a cat. The animals are all starting to get all freaked out.

My Shadey has been really demanding lately. Yelling at us if we get to bed after she thinks we should be in bed. She raises her meow with us if she is upset, it is cute. She's also been really cuddly, more then usual. The other cat is yowling already, and I am expecting Shade to start soon.

I love my manxie-girl.

Be safe.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take your cat if I were you. It always astounds me how people think of our animals as not very important just because they aren't human. Laureen is right.....these animals are our responsibility when we decide we want them. They can't fend for themselves. I know if I have to evacuate, I am taking my cats with me.

Here is the 5 day forecast:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...00807_5day.gif

Here are the computer models:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...07_model-1.gif

Here is an image of Louisiana. The red star is New Orleans (for reference). The blue star is where I currently live. The green star is where I will eventually move to.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...a-road-map.jpg

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got to talk to his sister in law. She said he is nuts. She said I don't have to leave my girl here. I was stressing so bad over that. I think he is crazy for even thinking I would leave her behind. I would have stayed if he tried to force me to leave her.

I am in Houma right now. Terrebonne Parish. Our house is boarded up at the moment. A lot of places are boarding up too. It is such a strang thing for me to expierence. I have spent most of my life in Wyoming where we have blizzards.

Be safe

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're going to take the kitty. I hear so many stories of bad things that happen to animal left behind... They drown or get lost outside or starve when it takes too long to get back... One cat carrier, some food and water hardly takes up any space at all.

Hopefully Gustav spins off into nothing and all the worry will be for naught.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness that your sister-in-law has some sense! If my husband suggested to me that we leave the animals in the path of a hurricane (although he wouldn't and even if he did he knows it would be dangerous to open his mouth!) I would take the pets and blinking well leave him there!

Shame on him for adding to your stress in what must be an already horrible situation

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I almost felt like I was strange for not wanting to leave her. I knew that people here would understand where I was coming from. I'm not scared or stressed about it yet exactly. Just the thought of leaving her behind stressed me. I can't have children because of surgeries I had when I was a baby. When I had the chance to foster kittens, and feed them it was so wonderful for me. My cat MyRage had a miscarraige, or false pregnancy, and was lactating. The shelter ended up with three, three wk old kittens with no mama. They called me, and we fostered them. We kept the manx, and our friend took the other two.

I just moved here from Wyoming on June 30th this year. I have spent most of my life nestled in the mountans away from stuff like this. I don't know what to think, but seeing people around me getting a bit stressed and talking of evacuation is kinda freaky.

To Sophie:

Be safe, and I hope that if you have to evacuate everything goes smoothly and safely for you.

Be safe.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad that your SIL has common sense and compassion. I had a hunch that she wouldn't mind because she has pets. My DH would know better than to ask me to leave behind Butzie and my budgies. It would be hazardous to his health.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

If my husband every would suggest such a thing, I would leave him there
Bless you, be safe

She would surely die if left there by herself. I'm so glad you are taking her.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take your kitty! Don't leave her there to fend for herself. Besides, who's he to tell you you can't take your kitty?!

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so upset with him for even having said such a thing. I didn't talk to him for a while, until I had the chance to talk to my SisterInLaw. Then I was happy again. He is just worried about being any kind of pain. He thought they were leaving all their animals behind. They are only leaving two. That is hard for me to handle. They have a very old dog that will have seizers(sp) If she is taken in a carrier for a long time. And they have a cat, it starts puking and pooping when it gets stressed, and it hates going into a carrier and for car rides. They fear for the health of them by taking. They also fear for their well being by being left here. If we evacuate, we will be heading back as soon as the danger has passed, usually the next day. The only question is what this second hurricane will do. Hannah I think is its name. Goldie is the dog, and Kitty is the cat. I will be thnking of them and feeling horrible for leaving them.

Thank you for your thoughts. And I hope all who live near or in the area of where this is going to hit is safe.

be safe

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

To Sophie:

Be safe, and I hope that if you have to evacuate everything goes smoothly and safely for you.
Thank you. I wish the same for you as well. We are not 100% sure at this time what we are going to do. My mother has to deal with her mother. She is in the nursing home and if they evacuate, my mother has to go with them.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyRage

They are only leaving two. That is hard for me to handle. They have a very old dog that will have seizers(sp) If she is taken in a carrier for a long time. And they have a cat, it starts puking and pooping when it gets stressed, and it hates going into a carrier and for car rides. Kitty is the cat.
Oh Honey they are the ones who need help the most. Is there anyway you can call local shelters in your area to see if they will at least board these poor souls? They cannot be left to just fend for themselves. Being in the middle of a hurricane will cause them SO MUCH MORE STRESS than being in a carrier.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Thank you. I wish the same for you as well. We are not 100% sure at this time what we are going to do. My mother has to deal with her mother. She is in the nursing home and if they evacuate, my mother has to go with them.
We are leaving tomorrow morning. I don't know when, but morning it is. I already called in evacuated to work for tomorrow.

The shelters have already sent their animals off to other places, I don't know if there will be any around. They said this is how they always do it, and that God will take care of them. I don't feel right about it, but I have said what I feel and don't want to rock the boat.

Thank you for your thoughts, send them to Goldie and Kitty more then anything.

Be safe.