What on earth??????

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been sitting here on my couch for the past hours watching Sex & the City reruns. I have not gone outside nor have I seen any bugs in my house.

Just a minutes though I started itching like crazy and I looked down and I saw 8 bites on my legs and one on my left arm
What gives???? They look like mosquito bites, but I haven't seen any flying around
That is so weird! I'm now covered in bites (and i'm super allergic to mosquitos
) So i'm thinking if the Hydrocortisone doesn't kick in soon, an Aveeno bath is in order

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Maybe Kojack's a vampire?

I have no idea.
No, Kojak is just a harmless catnip addict
He's actually sitting on the rocking chair watching TMZ and catching up on his celebrity gossip

Seriously though, these look like mosquito bites, but i don't see any in my house. Any idea what hives look like?
The hydrocortisone isn't working
I think I need an oatmeal bath

(I don't think it's fleas- all the furries are on prevenative and I check them regurally)

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hives are like little bubbles all over an area of skin, usually red. I had them once from being allergic to some cheap soap when I was a kid. Not fun!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Hives are like little bubbles all over an area of skin, usually red. I had them once from being allergic to some cheap soap when I was a kid. Not fun!
These aren't hives then (just did an image search)! They look just like mosquito bites!

I saw what I thought was a bug flying around just a second though -so maybe I just didn't notice it before now. I'm gonna slaughter that little monster with a fly swatter when I get ahold of it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

my hives were large, raised patches of skin. like mosquito bites, but larger & irregular. [i'm also allergic to mosquito bites, btw]
pic of hives

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get that too and have no idea how! I usually notice it when I wake up in the morning horribly itchy - DH never has problems though. I'm also horribly allergic to mosquito bites.

We have so many similar health issues Nikki...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I get that too and have no idea how! I usually notice it when I wake up in the morning horribly itchy - DH never has problems though. I'm also horribly allergic to mosquito bites.

We have so many similar health issues Nikki...
Kojak's on the prowl now- he saw it so now he's running around the living room like a mad man trying to kill it
(He's our little bug catcher
)

I'm sitting here with a fly swatter just waiting for the little monster to come back
It's definitely a mosquito! I swear- I only had the door open for am split second earlier when I let the dogs out to the restroom.....somehow no matter how fast I shut the door they still manage to get in

Sarah I think we're long lost relatives

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know of any OTC creams that might make mosquito bites go away?

I've been dousing myself in extra strength hydrocortisone and taking 2 benadryl pills every few hours since this happened but i'm still itching like crazy

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I've been dousing myself in extra strength hydrocortisone and taking 2 benadryl pills every few hours since this happened but i'm still itching like crazy
Anti-itch creams don't work for me with mosquito bites. What I do is put some white vinegar on the bite, sprinkle it liberally with salt and then rub vigorously until it stops itching.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Anti-itch creams don't work for me with mosquito bites. What I do is put some white vinegar on the bite, sprinkle it liberally with salt and then rub vigorously until it stops itching.
I think that might be painful!
I've already scratched several of them to the point that they're cut open on accident

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

YOu could try calamine lotion. It's that pink stuff that many of our mothers used to use on bug bites!
I might just try that! We have to run to the store later to pick up a few things so i'll look and see if i can find some. I've definitely got to get more benadryl - i used my last pill a while ago and it's time for another one!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You could always apply ice
Already tried that one- it numbs it for a bit and helps with the swelling- but as soon as i take it off it still itches like madness!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

It sounds as if it may be chiggers to me. They have them here in Texas, and I've been bit by them - the nasty little buggers.
The bites are little red dots, and they itch like crazy! Try some Chiggerex ointment: it works really well. Not just for chiggers, but also for mosquito and other bug bites.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Nikki, you are a newlywed. Maybe you just have an itch for Colin.
That's cute.

My guess would have been chiggers or fleas, too. Mosquitoes tend to only bite once unless you interrupt them, fleas will just keep bitting. I'm not allergic to mosquito bites, so for me just ignoring it helps - it's when it's scratched that the bite gets itchy. Fleas are a different matter for me though, they turn into a hard itchy bump that swells up and seems to take forever to heal.
Your pets wouldn't necessarily have to have the fleas. If you're treating them all with flea treatments then that makes you the yummier prospect to a flea - even when just walking through the grass.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm allergic to mosquito bites as well! lol a normal mosquito bite will grow to be quarter size on me and itch without end! lol

good luck with getting rid of the itch
hopefully what you've tried helps

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

i'm allergic to mosquito bites as well! lol a normal mosquito bite will grow to be quarter size on me and itch without end! lol
that's what they do on me, too!
Nikki - they make a clear calamine lotion now, as well as the older pink stuff.