TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Am I feeding my cat junk food?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I feeding my cat junk food?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
She eats Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys canned food and Iams Healthy Naturals dry food. She is about two pounds overweight, maybe more.

I feed her the wet food when she tells me to. The dry food that I call "cereal" is available to her on her tray along with her water 24/7.

She is 7 years old, spayed with all her shots updated annually. I plan on taking her in for a dental cleaning and to have her shots updated sometime in September.

What would you guys say?
post #2 of 15
IMO, neither of those are great foods. I look for a food primary without by-products at all. The less grains the better. Sharky is our resident food expert...you can PM her. Or try searching the forums for food....there are tons of threads on it.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
I should mention she has tried Natural Balance salmon flavor and will eat one serving, but the next time she's hungry, she won't eat anymore of it.

Which one do you think is putting the most amount of weight on her, the Fancy Feast wet food or the Iams cereal?
post #4 of 15
I would prefer fancy feast to the Iams as it is wet...

Have you discussed the wt issue with the vet?? at 7 is a great time for a baseline senior blood panel

where can you shop for food??
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOperator View Post
I should mention she has tried Natural Balance salmon flavor and will eat one serving, but the next time she's hungry, she won't eat anymore of it.

Which one do you think is putting the most amount of weight on her, the Fancy Feast wet food or the Iams cereal?
probably the Iams - it's mostly corn.
post #6 of 15
I am going to agree as well and say the Iams
post #7 of 15
Is there a reason you are sticking to grocery store brands? Fancy Feast wet food here is more expensive than some premium foods but with sub par ingredients (it's more expensive than Natural Balance and Chicken Soup. It's also more expensive than Nutro). I consider both Fancy Feast and Iams junk food. I think the Iams Naturals is better than other grocery store brands but you could do so much better.

Are you willing to switch brands on both dry and wet?

I like this website:
http://www.petobesityprevention.com
http://www.petobesityprevention.com/...nformation.pdf
http://www.petobesityprevention.com/...t_Dry_Food.pdf

Based on how she is eating (not what) it'd be pretty easy to get her to cut back on calories. Just stop free-feeding her dry food and instead give her a measured amount (1/3 cup could be a starting point but I don't know her weight) in the morning and when it's gone, don't give her more. This will fix the calorie intake problem but you still need to address the quality of food that those calories are coming from.

In general, wet food is much lower in calories than dry food. I doubt she is gaining weight from the Fancy Feast. She is probably getting too much dry food and not enough playtime/exercise.

I would still switch the brands you are feeding only because they are not high quality foods. Do you live by any small independent pet stores? petco? petsmart? how much do you want to spend each month on cat food?
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I would prefer fancy feast to the Iams as it is wet...

Have you discussed the wt issue with the vet?? at 7 is a great time for a baseline senior blood panel

where can you shop for food??
The vet of course recommended she lose weight to around 11 pounds; she's 13+ now. I've tried her on the diet Iams and she will not eat it. I can get any of the foods you guys recommend in the Fresno/Clovis area; the only ones that I haven't been able to find are the Chicken Soup brand and the Merrick brand. I've tried all kinds of "high-end" foods on her, but often times she refuses to eat it. Why do I shop for grocery store brands at Pets Mart? Because that's all she will eat. I wish I could get her to eat the healthier brands. Incidentally, it seems like she eats more of the wet food than the cereal; so it would seem she should be losing weight, not gaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
Is there a reason you are sticking to grocery store brands? Fancy Feast wet food here is more expensive than some premium foods but with sub par ingredients (it's more expensive than Natural Balance and Chicken Soup. It's also more expensive than Nutro). I consider both Fancy Feast and Iams junk food. I think the Iams Naturals is better than other grocery store brands but you could do so much better.

Are you willing to switch brands on both dry and wet?
I am willing to switch brands to anything that she will eat; preferably something healthier. She also doesn't get enough exercise because she is forced to stay inside because of these two homeless
cats I got stuck taking care of that dominate the outside. I don't let the homeless cats come in, they stay outside; I do that so my cat can have her space.

I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me and will seriously consider any advice you can offer me.
post #9 of 15
have you tried the meow mix wet?? it is actually a decent quality and most cats will eat it .. it also is lower calorie thus for the ave cat they eat 4 ish pouches a day ... Have you tried petsmarts authority ?? for a dry food may I suggest not giving her a diet as they tend to be very high in carbs .... try a senior for a few less calories than adult

have you ever tried a lazer toy???
post #10 of 15
I agree that you can improve the quality. I always think it is best to transition a finicky cat slower. I have one so I know your pain.
You could try buying a few smaller cans of about 3 different foods. Mix some in with her FF and see if she eats it. If she does then try another one and see if she eats that. If not then exchange it for the one she likes. I say 3 because you may find 2 that she likes and you can switch around and have more choices.
I have to do this with Cleo.

Cut way back on the dry and she should lose weight. Wet has less calories.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnerOperator View Post
She eats Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys canned food and Iams Healthy Naturals dry food. She is about two pounds overweight, maybe more.

I feed her the wet food when she tells me to. The dry food that I call "cereal" is available to her on her tray along with her water 24/7.

She is 7 years old, spayed with all her shots updated annually. I plan on taking her in for a dental cleaning and to have her shots updated sometime in September.

What would you guys say?
Here's a link you might find helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Do...ne_on_Dry_Food
post #12 of 15
FF is more junk food IMO. Iams is ok food (used to be better quality). My guys get Royal Canin for dry and Max Cat, Iams Beef, Natural Balance for the canned foods.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
Is there a reason you are sticking to grocery store brands? Fancy Feast wet food here is more expensive than some premium foods but with sub par ingredients (it's more expensive than Natural Balance and Chicken Soup. It's also more expensive than Nutro).
it's also more expensive than Authority, Petsmart's brand - Authority comes in both a wet & a dry, just like the Chicken Soup.
post #14 of 15
I've got an Elegant Medleys addict here too. It's so frustrating because it is sooo overpriced. She will occasionally eat the Meow Mix wet.. she's more likely to eat the pouches than the cups for some reason. I'd recommend giving that a try at least. She used to eat the Nutro Max small cans. She won't anymore for some reason, but maybe your cat would?

For dry, Kitty's favorite has pretty much always been Nutro Natural Choice. She does better weight-wise on the Indoor. Right now, though, we're in the process of trying to transition to Orijen and see if that helps her drop a couple lbs. She hardly eats any dry, a small handful a day, and two cans of the FF, though, so I think her main problem is lack of exercise.
post #15 of 15
I have found cats become less "picky" when you start scheduled feedings versus having food out 24/7. My cat used to turn her nose up at wet food because I don't think she was ever hungry since she always nibbled on dry food.

Now that she's fed on a schedule, she comes running when I go to feed her and will eat anything I put in her bowl.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Am I feeding my cat junk food?