Mama cat attacking her kitten

chele721

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a question. To make a long story short I took in a pregnant cat that one of my tenants abandoned. Well, she had 3 kittens in march. I found great homes for 2 of the kittens and we kept the 3rd and had Bella and her kitten spayed. Bella got along great with Chloe but it seems as if the last 5-6 weeks she has become extremely agressive with her. If Chloe even comes near her when she is walking by she hisses, bats, bites and attacks her. I feel so bad for little Chloe, although sometimes you find them laying next to each other asleep. The agression seems to be getting worse and worse. Is this some type of domination or territorial behavior? It seems all I do is yell at clap at Bella to stop. I can't figure out why this is happening. Little Chloe can't even come near her. I hope someone may have some information or experience so I can understand what may be going on.

Thank you,
Michele

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they are sometimes laying next to one another sleeping, then I would assume Mom is just making sure Chloe knows her boundaries. I have a Mom cat and all 4 of her grown kittens and she still lays the law down about what her boundaries are with them.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also kept a mama cat and her 4 kittens. Mom keeps them at a distance, she was the one that told them when they were finished weaning. Every once in a while one of them would try to get near enough to her to get some milk from her so she would growl at them, so they would get the message "don't even think about it".

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry! What Bella is doing is normal and good. She's making sure Chloe is fully weaned. Like the others I've had a mom cat and her kittens. Mom is always the mom and she makes the rules. She still loves her babies but they can't be kittens forever! Driving them away like Bella is doing helps them to be self-sufficient.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little suprised at this since both are spayed; but some mother cats don't like their offspring to stick around. Sounds like she's one of them.

Or one of the cats is sick and the other senses something wrong. Maybe have both checked out by the vet to be sure.

Its not like its a new cat, the mom has been around the daughter since birth and should accept her. But females do tend to be more territorial especially with another female - even if its her own.

Our one barn cat would run off or chase other female cats/kittens to the road to be killed. She tolerated the neutered males, but hated any other rival female once it got past 6 months old.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have there been in strange cats outside the window. Coco did that also when she was very mad. What happened is a pitbull tried to attack them through the window and this orange cat did also. One day I came home and Cocos girl almost had a broken leg and was hanging by her back paw screaming. I got not get near her she was scared. My brother had to cut hr out of the blinds. Coco and Meeko were having a huge fight and I had to remove Coco from taht room. She was hurt also. No sure how she got hurt but she could not walk on her front paw and it took a long time to heal. After that she would attack ny cat as soon as she saw them. She acted that way for 6 months but Stormy never forgave her to the day she was pts. She would hiss as soon as she saw Coco even though Coco is was ok with them again. After Coco became friends with the other cats again she still would hiss and scream if I put her in that room. Coco is like normal now. This happened almost 3 years ago. Coco did get very sick a few weeks afte that happened though. I hope your cats will stop fighting. Our problem was caused by the orange cat and pitball.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Do you still have them?
I still have mom and kittens, except I had to keep mama separated from her kittens. Half of my basement is finished and it has a door, its about the size of a studio apartment. I have Sweetie in there, all by herself, which I feel really bad about, even though its very comfortable down there. But she had a really bad experience outside when I found her in my garage. She can't be with any other cats.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor Sweetie but at least she is safe inside and wont have to go through anymore outside bad experiences.

In my siggy, Easy is my Mother cat and the rest are her babies. After they were born, I became so attached them, I just couldnt part with any of them
They will be 6 years old in Feb

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pami;2397456 said:
Awww poor Sweetie but at least she is safe inside and wont have to go through anymore outside bad experiences.

Thanks, in Chele'721's case I'm sure it will get better with time, the kitten is still pretty youn. Sweetie was a different case, she was an owned cat but she had a collar that was embedded under her arm and was very infected, plus she was pregnant and severely anemic I think she went into the garage to die. She went through a lot. I got her to the Vet and had her cleaned up and she took such great care of those kittens, it was amazing to watch her sick and all, but as soon as Sweetie knew they didn't need her anymore she started turning them away. But what a great mama.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aswient;2397791 said:
Originally Posted by Pami

Thanks, in Chele'721's case I'm sure it will get better with time, the kitten is still pretty youn. Sweetie was a different case, she was an owned cat but she had a collar that was embedded under her arm and was very infected, plus she was pregnant and severely anemic I think she went into the garage to die. She went through a lot. I got her to the Vet and had her cleaned up and she took such great care of those kittens, it was amazing to watch her sick and all, but as soon as Sweetie knew they didn't need her anymore she started turning them away. But what a great mama.
Oh my gosh, Thank you for helping her. What a horrible thing for her to go through. Thank God she is safe now.

My Mother cat was feral. For some reason she was never feral with me or my family, but with others she was/is. I never separated her from her kittens, so she taught them to be in many ways, too.

She was a tough Mom in many ways, but now that they are grown, she is much calmer with them. She lays the law down from time to time and they all give her the respect as the queen of the castle (even though she is 1/2 the size of all of them) She loves on them still and they will cuddle with her, but when shes had enough, she lets them know.