Cat is sick?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...

Well, this morning, my cat is as energetic as ever! She ran all around the house like usual and pretty much showed that she was all right. However, when I got home from school ( around 1pm ) she was like... sick looking. She slept like 99 percent of the time, and whenever she walked, it was sort of wobbly ( like how tired people walk ). I tried giving her favorite food to eat and she didn't even touch it. I also tried to give her favorite treat ( kitty kaviar ) and she won't eat it either. I wonder what's wrong with her? Well, I'll be sure to take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn't get better, but does any of you know what might be the cause?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be ok to wait. I took Stormy because she was like that and I lost her. We got there within 20 minutes of seeing her that way. Can you call the Er for advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

It may not be ok to wait. I took Stormy because she was like that and I lost her. We got there within 20 minutes of seeing her that way. Can you call the Er for advice?
What was wrong with Stormy at that time?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It turned out to be kidney failure.
There is a possibility that kidney failures can happen to 6 month old cats?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can happen but seems like something else. I did have a 3 month old kitten almost die and she was saved by the Er Vet. She was falling over and it was severe anemia. What are all the signs your cat has?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It can happen but seems like something else. I did have a 3 month old kitten almost die and she was saved by the Er Vet. She was falling over and it was severe anemia. What are all the signs your cat has?
Hmm well... from what I notice:
- She does not want to eat at all, not even her favorite treats. ( She hasnt ate all day )
- She does not want to drink any water. ( I assume she hasn't drank at all the whole day either )
- She is sluggish when she walks
- Lays down in corners and (or) dark places most of the time.
- Sleeps like 90% of the time.
- Inactive. She usually chases flying insects around the house, but when she saw one earlier, she just stared at it and didn't bother to try and catch it.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That isnt good.
How hot is it inside?
When Meeko was very sick she had heat stroke also.
Is there any vet you can get to now?
It may not be safe to wait.
Meekos sister didnt make it.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Roxanne-
Please, simply take your cat to the Vet tomorrow.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All right, I made an appointment earlier today and they said to bring her in at 3:50pm ( which is around 4 hours from now ). I'll give you guys an update later.

That isnt good.
How hot is it inside?
When Meeko was very sick she had heat stroke also.
Is there any vet you can get to now?
It may not be safe to wait.
Meekos sister didnt make it.
Around 90. =S

By the way, I was monitoring her behavior early this morning. She's a bit livelier than yesterday, but she's still not eating or drinking ( actually, she did eat a few bites of her canned food ). I see her going to her food bowl quite often, but she just pretty much sniffed it and walked away. Perhaps, her mouth is in pain or something? Well either ways, I'm bringing her to the vet. Hope they can figure out whats wrong with her...

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's good you are getting her to the vet. Those symptoms are indicative of a sick kitty. Not eating and drinking is very bad for any period of time. Is she atleast using the bathroom?

Hopefully the vet does bloodwork.

Let us know...

Good Luck

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

it's good you are getting her to the vet. Those symptoms are indicative of a sick kitty. Not eating and drinking is very bad for any period of time. Is she atleast using the bathroom?

Hopefully the vet does bloodwork.

Let us know...

Good Luck
Yeah she's using the bathroom. I saw her went to pee earlier today.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Hmm weird, she's starting to eat and drink again. ( Just saw her doing that ) but I should bring her to the vet anyway, right?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A checkup can't hurt.

A sudden change like that makes me suspicious of a spider bite or something like that, or some sort of poison (maybe a houseplant?). But the vet may spot something that we would never even guess at.

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so I just got back from the vet. He examined her and can't find anything wrong with her. He told me to come back tomorrow for blood work if she doesn't get better and gave me a prescribed food. ( Recovery food? )