TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Gonna make you go gray
How old is he?
He's almost 7.....if he lives that long

Originally Posted by butzie

How old is your son and has he done such things before?
Unfortunatly, yes. He's not doing it maliciously. He's just too curious for his own good.

He said he did it because he wanted to know what it was made of

Good thing it wasn't new!

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ugh!

I guess you could look on the bright side. At least he didn't set it on fire?
This is true! He knows better then to mess with anything with fire. I have taught him that much

My oldest was about 4yrs old and in the middle of the night he got up and put pudding in ice trays because as he put it "I wanted frozeded pudding"

Once he put Vaseline in his hair because he thought it was hair gel and wanted to do his hair like daddy's

That took a long time to wash out!!!

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, do I know how you feel! I have an eight-year-old daughter, and the things she's done out of curiousity have blown us away! Thankfully, she's made it to eight, almost nine, and I'm sure your son will, too. Hehe!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

He's almost 7.....if he lives that long

Unfortunatly, yes. He's not doing it maliciously. He's just too curious for his own good.

He said he did it because he wanted to know what it was made of

Good thing it wasn't new!
Curiosity is a good thing, and he will probably do great things in life....if he lives that long, like you said!

My mom made the mistake of taking me with her to get her hair done when I was 5 or 6. A few days later, she was taking a nap on the couch and I decided to play "hairdresser". Yep, I gave mom a new "do" while she was sleeping. Now, this was back in the seventies when women got their hair done once a week, it was curled, teased and topped with enough hairspray that a tornado wouldn't move a strand. So basically, I just stuck the scissors in this 4 inch high helmet of hair and started snipping. She woke up when the scissors got stuck and I pulled her hair (this was after about 10 minutes of "grooming"). Needless to say she was NOT very impressed with my efforts!

My dad's reaction was priceless though! I remember, he walked in after work, glanced over and said hi, then went through the hall to the dinning room where he would hang up his coat. Halfway there his footsteps stopped. He walked back slowly and peeked around the corner. He stared. His mouth opened. Then closed. Then opened again (later, when mom told the story, she knew he was wondering if he should comment on the new "do"). Finally mom said "it was your daughter!". He said "oh, ok. I was going to tell you to find a new hairdresser!" and burst out laughing!

So, it could be worse. At least you can repair or toss the chair. My mom had to purchase a wig until her hair grew back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Curiosity is a good thing, and he will probably do great things in life....if he lives that long, like you said!

My mom made the mistake of taking me with her to get her hair done when I was 5 or 6. A few days later, she was taking a nap on the couch and I decided to play "hairdresser". Yep, I gave mom a new "do" while she was sleeping. Now, this was back in the seventies when women got their hair done once a week, it was curled, teased and topped with enough hairspray that a tornado wouldn't move a strand. So basically, I just stuck the scissors in this 4 inch high helmet of hair and started snipping. She woke up when the scissors got stuck and I pulled her hair (this was after about 10 minutes of "grooming"). Needless to say she was NOT very impressed with my efforts!

My dad's reaction was priceless though! I remember, he walked in after work, glanced over and said hi, then went through the hall to the dinning room where he would hang up his coat. Halfway there his footsteps stopped. He walked back slowly and peeked around the corner. He stared. His mouth opened. Then closed. Then opened again (later, when mom told the story, she knew he was wondering if he should comment on the new "do"). Finally mom said "it was your daughter!". He said "oh, ok. I was going to tell you to find a new hairdresser!" and burst out laughing!

So, it could be worse. At least you can repair or toss the chair. My mom had to purchase a wig until her hair grew back!
That's priceless!!

My mom had new white carpet installed when I was about 3 yrs old. When she was taking a nap, I drew on her carpet with red lipstick

Then about 6 months later, I spilled chocolate syrup on it

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

That's priceless!!

My mom had new white carpet installed when I was about 3 yrs old. When she was taking a nap, I drew on her carpet with red lipstick

Then about 6 months later, I spilled chocolate syrup on it
White carpet with a 3 year old?? What was she thinking?? I'm guessing after that and the chocolate syrup they either went to a different carpet or just invested in LOTS of area rugs.

Honestly, kids to the strangest things. But, seriously, if your son is that curious find out how to work with him. Believe it or not, I would think that would show great intelligence. If he wanted to find out what it was made of and SEE FOR HIMSELF, instead of just being told what it is made of and accepting the answer that shows incredible potential I would think. Now, I'm not in education or phychology or anything like that, but you may want to check out what would be best to redirect that curiosity into something that won't destroy your house. It sounds like it wasn't destruction for the sake of destruction, but to find an answer for himself.

I honestly think you may have something special in that little hellion of yours. Oh, but you may want to get some seditives to get you from now until he goes away to college!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia- my advice to you - Hide the scissors!!!

When I was little I got into trouble with scissors too!
I gave my rabbit a hair cut, my poodle a hair cut (his little ears never did grow back right
), I cut my nightgown to make a "miniskirt" like my sisters, and I cut my hair- lifted it up right in the middle of my scalp and cut it down to the roots! My mom liked to have had a stroke when she found out what i did lol...it took years for it to grow out even
I got my butt spanked for that one

So yea, hide the scissors!

That is hysterical!!!!
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one!!!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what it is about kids and scissors ... my sister and I cut up my mom's wedding gown to make Barbie doll clothes. *sigh* My mom is now eighty years old, my sister is 50, I am 48 and Mom ~still~ to this day gets mad at us whenever the topic comes up.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I don't know what it is about kids and scissors ... my sister and I cut up my mom's wedding gown to make Barbie doll clothes. *sigh* My mom is now eighty years old, my sister is 50, I am 48 and Mom ~still~ to this day gets mad at us whenever the topic comes up.
Omg you two cut her wedding gown?
I would have had to kill you

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Omg you two cut her wedding gown?
I would have had to kill you
Yeah, we did ... we thought we were saving money by making our own and I can honestly say that we had some wicked awesome Barbie clothes out of it. *grin* But needless to say, my mother wasn't impressed at all with our attempts to sew our own Barbie clothes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, we did ... we thought we were saving money by making our own and I can honestly say that we had some wicked awesome Barbie clothes out of it. *grin* But needless to say, my mother wasn't impressed at all with our attempts to sew our own Barbie clothes.
"but mom, we were trying to be thrifty!"
Oh to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when I was younger I wanted to pet my goldfish and was really sad when it died
lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I honestly think you may have something special in that little hellion of yours. Oh, but you may want to get some seditives to get you from now until he goes away to college!
He is a very intelligent child. (I'm not just saying that because he's mine
) But he went into Kindergarten a year early and is in magnet/gifted programs.
His teacher told me the other night on the phone that Deacon has the type of intelligence that if he gets bored, he will get destructive..
She wasn't kidding!!!!

He isn't just a "Why?" Kid.. He's a "What If?"
He wants to know how EVERYTHING works, what it's made of, and What happens if he does this or that.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Alycia- my advice to you - Hide the scissors!!!

When I was little I got into trouble with scissors too!
I gave my rabbit a hair cut, my poodle a hair cut (his little ears never did grow back right
), I cut my nightgown to make a "miniskirt" like my sisters, and I cut my hair- lifted it up right in the middle of my scalp and cut it down to the roots! My mom liked to have had a stroke when she found out what i did lol...it took years for it to grow out even
I got my butt spanked for that one

So yea, hide the scissors!

:
It wasn't more then a month or so ago that him and a little girl decided to give out haircuts to all the neighborhood kids..
I had alot of angry parents at my door that day

Barbie was stylin

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its a wonder how my parents never killed me and let me make it to 23. Off the top of my head I have:

*Stuck keys in an electrical socket(mom loves to tell that story to all my friends and girlfriends)

*Ran away from home just to get picked up to go to a doctors appointment(another one of my mom's favorates)

*Spray Painted the f and s words on one of our trees that faced the school we lived across the street from.

*Called 911 and then hung up when the dispatcher picked up(got the cops to come to the house on that one).

*Cut the cable feed to the house about 7 times with a shovel(I used to love to dig holes in the back yard)

*Trimmed the cats whiskers on several occasions(again kids + scissors = trouble)

*Tried to call child protective services on my dad for grounding me(he didn't think this was funny but I sure did and the dispatcher at dcfs agreed with me).

*Almost took my thumb completely off while slicing water mellon at the age of 5.

thats all I can remember but I am sure there is MUCH more.

Just wait until he is about 15 and looses all his innocence. Oh the things I did in my teen years, here is a short list:

*Went 80 in a school zone around the school buses.

* Went off roading on the football field(still haven't figured out how I didn't get caught). My car ended up over heating because the tensioner for the cerpintean belt that keeps basically everything running blew up and my coolant started to actually boil. That was about 3000 dollars worth of repairs not to mention the towing fee.

*Totaled my mom's car the night before she was supposed to start a new job. This makes the list because i had 5 other people with me when I was grounded and wasn't supposed to have friends in the car.

*Drag raced my friend and actually won. The funny thing is I was in a 2.5 ton SUV(1998 GMC Jimmy) and he was in a 4 door car(can't remember the model but it was a Ford).

*Had all of my friends climb on top of my my Jimmy and then saught fit to take a picture. I had about 10 people on my car. Then I was going to drive around with them up there but an adult came out and made me stop after I started up my car.

*Had many many things go on in my car that got it nicknamed "the sex mobile". I was always stuck driving when these things happened though and that was rather irritating.

*Drove around the suburbs of Chicago in rush hour traffic with 11 people in my car(made to fit 5). I Had 6 in the seats and then 5 in the trunk area.

*Tackled my dad though the door into the basement. At that point in time I had a good 200 pounds on him so it was rather easy. This was a day when I was trying to convince him I was sick and should stay home from school...I did win that fight but only because he was afraid of what would happen if I didn't.

*Kicked my door of the hinges.

The reason I still had driving privileges is because my dad doesn't know about pretty much any of this other than the off roading thing and thats mainly because he was stuck with the bill. I still can't figure out why the high school never did anything about that, I mean they have security camera's everywhere and my head lights were on the entire time and I didn't bother covering up my license plate.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man, the things I could list between me, my husband, and my daughter.

Em's:

- Cut her own hair down to the root. I cried, my DH laughed, she just said, "I wanted short hair!" To which we responded, "Well, Hun, next time just TELL US!!" Lol...

- She, also, has trimmed the cat's whiskers. Poor Hobbes is just too docile for his own good. We think she also took my DH's trimmers to his ear hair (the outside of the ear) because he has longer, white hairs on them, and we think she was trying to trim them. Never had any proof, so it didn't stick...but always suspected.

- Dug into the wall below her window to the metal window frame because she wanted to see what the wall was made of. Oh BOY did that make my DH MAD! We've moved since then, lol.

- Made "cleaning solutions" from various things in her room, wanting to start her own cleaning company. Come to think of it, I think she used some of the drywall she dug from the wall for it, lol.

- She's made several homemade houses for the kitties from cardboard boxes. They're rather good! They have windows, opening doors, toys she's hung from the ceilings of them. The kitties really enjoy them.

- I couldn't count the number of businesses Em has tried to start up. From selling some of her own stuff, to selling her own art, to selling office supplies (again, hers), to wanting to clean various rooms for people...the list just goes on. Thankfully, we now have her set up to do various chores around the house for money, lol! She used to take a Rubbermade bin and put it upside down to use for a business desk. She made signs saying her business hours, a sign to say when she was closed or "on break" when she would leave her room. She even had receipts! Oh man, my girl is so funny!

I don't have many on my own list, except for sneaking around at night in our apartment when I was Em's age (8ish) and eating the lunch desserts. My sister got blamed, and I didn't confess until a few years ago. She was shocked it was me, lol!

My dad also loves to tell the story of the time he tried to spank me with the belt, and hit the hardback books I'd put in my pants instead.

My husband...lol...

When he was still in diapers, he took apart an electrical outlet and got a little shock, but it didn't phase his curiousity...he's been an electrician since he was about 13, and we even have our own electrical business now! LOL! When we got our Contractor's License, the people in the California State Licensing Board had a hard time coming to terms with him having journeyman/apprenticeship when he was that young.

Another when he was still in diapers, at about three years. In Edmonton (where he was born) in the dead of winter, New Year's Eve, his parents had a house full of guests, and I guess DH was hot, so he (in just his diaper, mind you) opened the front door, and went and sat in the snow to cool off. His dad says that my DH was more content than most other times he's seen him! LOL! To this day, we keep the house no hotter than 65F because he's so warm-bodied!

Also, with my DH, when he was about ten, and him and his mom lived in Hollywood, he would leave the house in the middle of the night to get an ice cream. He also used to take the bus places as a child. My DH would definitely have registered a genius IQ from a very early age, had they tested him!

I can see definite likenesses between my DH and my daughter. She's already so excelled in so many things in school. Her reading level is at about the fifth grade (if not higher). She's been reading Harry Potter books for a couple years now, and will read any and every book she can get her hands on. She's also quite smart about math.

I agree that your son is very intelligent. Look out...they get to be a handful! But it's such a joy to see how much they can achieve!

Hugs!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter had never had a haircut and had a beautiful head of hip length hair. She cut it on one side to about chin length, then lied about it. She said a mean boy at school had done it. I said I was going to talk to the boy's mother, and she panicked and told me the truth. I made her walk around with the ugly short part for 6 months until I took her to have it evened up.