TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Obituary email from my father:Common Sense
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obituary email from my father:Common Sense

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Obituary
Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Report s of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Author unknown
post #2 of 17
Sure brings reality home to hit us in the face doesn't it! If you think about it, it's very scary to realize just how far from common sense we have all come.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
I used to think my Grandmother was just being old fashioned about a lot of things when she would say, she was from the south, people nowadays don't have a lick of sense. I am beginning to agree.
post #4 of 17
What is sad is that common sense repeatedly gets tossed aside in the name of political correctness and the "Nanny State" mentality.
post #5 of 17
That was excellent!!
post #6 of 17
I'm printing that out....question is can Common Sense ever be brought back to life again?
post #7 of 17
FYI on the McDonald's coffee bit: the woman suffered 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body, needed skin grafts, was hospitalized for days, and originally only asked for $20,000 (the cost of the treatment, I believe).

Here's one webpage about it, another, and the relevant Wikipedia page. Even if you end up thinking that drinking coffee comes with the risk of very serious burns (and therefore McDonald's should not have been liable), this case was not about someone who "spilled a little in her lap".
post #8 of 17
The sad thing is, is that is all 100% true. I went to the doctor yesterday and her and I had a similar conversation about that very subject....common sense.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuja View Post
FYI on the McDonald's coffee bit: the woman suffered 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body, needed skin grafts, was hospitalized for days, and originally only asked for $20,000 (the cost of the treatment, I believe).

Here's one webpage about it, another, and the relevant Wikipedia page. Even if you end up thinking that drinking coffee comes with the risk of very serious burns (and therefore McDonald's should not have been liable), this case was not about someone who "spilled a little in her lap".
You're right. She didn't spill a little in her lap. She held the cup between her knees to get the lid off, hence putting pressure on the sides of the cup (which was filled to the brim) and that pressure caused the most of the cup to spill into her lap.

If she wasn't driving the car, and the person driving stopped so she could put cream in the coffee, she could have asked him to hold the cup, or put it in a cup holder to take the lid off.

Anyone who drinks coffee knows that the coffee is hot, which is why I normally ask for a small cup of ice to pour in to cool it down faster. Otherwise it's too hot to drink from any restaurant or fast food place.

In any case, I love the post, and I would love to copy and send it out as email, with the OP permission of course.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
You're right. She didn't spill a little in her lap. She held the cup between her knees to get the lid off, hence putting pressure on the sides of the cup (which was filled to the brim) and that pressure caused the most of the cup to spill into her lap.

If she wasn't driving the car, and the person driving stopped so she could put cream in the coffee, she could have asked him to hold the cup, or put it in a cup holder to take the lid off.

Anyone who drinks coffee knows that the coffee is hot, which is why I normally ask for a small cup of ice to pour in to cool it down faster. Otherwise it's too hot to drink from any restaurant or fast food place.

In any case, I love the post, and I would love to copy and send it out as email, with the OP permission of course.
Oh yeah copy away. My father got it from his brother who got it from someone...
The lady with the coffee is an example of why people are leery of legitimate lawsuits. Coffee is a hot beverage and it makes no sense to put it between your knees. None. It was her own actions that caused the burns.
It would have been different if the employee had spilled it on her but she did it to herself.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I'm printing that out....question is can Common Sense ever be brought back to life again?
I don't know GK. Things look kind of bleak for Common Sense.
http://www.tortreport.com/2008/03/what-a-jack-ass.html
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuja View Post
FYI on the McDonald's coffee bit: the woman suffered 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body, needed skin grafts, was hospitalized for days, and originally only asked for $20,000 (the cost of the treatment, I believe).

Here's one webpage about it, another, and the relevant Wikipedia page. Even if you end up thinking that drinking coffee comes with the risk of very serious burns (and therefore McDonald's should not have been liable), this case was not about someone who "spilled a little in her lap".
Perfect case of no common sense! She put a hot cup of coffee between her knees while driving and burned HERSELF. The only excuse for a lawsuit I can see here is if she ordered iced coffee and McDonalds gave her hot coffee instead. Common sense wasn't even in the car with that person - I think she left cs back at McDonalds.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Perfect case of no common sense! She put a hot cup of coffee between her knees while driving and burned HERSELF. The only excuse for a lawsuit I can see here is if she ordered iced coffee and McDonalds gave her hot coffee instead. Common sense wasn't even in the car with that person - I think she left cs back at McDonalds.
I just spilled some diet coke down my shirt yesterday at a drive thru. The lid wasn't on tight when they handed it to me. I wonder if I can get a new shirt from them?

I think this case was a combination of greed and lack of common sense!
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I just spilled some diet coke down my shirt yesterday at a drive thru. The lid wasn't on tight when they handed it to me. I wonder if I can get a new shirt from them?
Hey, do what lots of folks these days are doing - sue them for a new shirt. Yeah, tie up the courts so they have less time for dealing with criminals, make some company give you tons more money than the shirt was worth in the first place, line some more lawyers' pockets - hey, why not! You might actually get money for nothing - others are doing it.

And then, of course, when you win the case and the drive-thru's realize it could cost them too much money in case other people wanted to sue and they close it down so you have to park, get out of your car and go get your own coffee - well, hey, those folks who sued didn't spoil it for the rest of us now did they?
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Hey, do what lots of folks these days are doing - sue them for a new shirt. Yeah, tie up the courts so they have less time for dealing with criminals, make some company give you tons more money than the shirt was worth in the first place, line some more lawyers' pockets - hey, why not! You might actually get money for nothing - others are doing it.

And then, of course, when you win the case and the drive-thru's realize it could cost them too much money in case other people wanted to sue and they close it down so you have to park, get out of your car and go get your own coffee - well, hey, those folks who sued didn't spoil it for the rest of us now did they?

You should sue them for making your hand hurt from carrying the drink to the car.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC12 View Post

You should sue them for making your hand hurt from carrying the drink to the car.
Oh good heavens! Don't give them any more ideas to sue for or that will be next.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Oh good heavens! Don't give them any more ideas to sue for or that will be next.


You are right! Strike it from the record your honor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Obituary email from my father:Common Sense