I'm so embarrassed and upset with myself!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone please make me feel better!!!
I've been having A LOT of trouble with the University of Iowa lately. It seems like everyone that works there has no idea what the
is going on!!!!

First it starts out that the university's financial aid office gave me the wrong paper work and I had to come up with $3,000 in two weeks in order to sign up for classes this fall. Then I try to sign up and need an advisor to help me sign up for classes. I ask for an advisor and she knows nothing about being an advisor, it's her first year.
GREAT! She hands me a paper and tells me to pretty much get along and do it myself. Then I have to explain to her what her job is and that I need her to get online to ok me to sign up for classes. She pushes me out of her office and tells me to come back after lunch

I've asked the fiancial aid office where I need to go to change my major, they had no idea. Then I asked the office where I could change my major where I should go to pay my University bill, they had no idea. Then I asked the billing office where student health was, they had no idea. WHAT THE
KIND OF PLACE IS THIS!!!??!!! How can you work at the university and not know where any other offices are?! I would have been better off standing on the street and asking people that walked by!

OK, but the embarrassing thing that I'm upset about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have known not to listen to anyone who worked at the University of Iowa! I asked the nutcase advisor when classes started and she said "on Wednesday". I get to class today and find out classes started MONDAY!
I am so upset! I NEVER miss classes!

I just want to kick myself for being so dumb and not double checking.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, sweetie, it's not your fault, don't be upset. It's the dumb advisor's fault.
You need to kick some butts around there, you're paying for a service, not just the classes, and your not getting it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to cry!!! I'm so upset! Maybe I should email the proffessors of the classes I missed. I don't know if they would understand, but at least they would know I'm not a skipper.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont blame yourself
Some college employees just dont care.

I have trouble with the college here too. They refused to let me get resident rates, even though I lived here for over a year. They told me I had to be married, a parent, or have a mortgage in order to "be a resident". Eh!??!? When I finally go back in January (most likely), I'll be married and have a mortgage ... and have lived here for 3.5 years. Ugh.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should be too hard on yourself.
You seemed to have followed through on your end of things. It's not your fault that the college has an incompetant staff...

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is
unreal! I would report these people to some higher up. Don't people know how to do their jobs anymore? Just explain to the proffesors when you finally get to those classes. It was NOT your fault!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be so hard on yourself, sweetie; none of this is your fault, and I'm pretty sure your professors will understand. My DD started college here last week, and 2 of the textbooks I'd ordered online hadn't arrived for her classes. I felt AWFUL and just knew she was going to get in trouble. When she got home that first day I asked if everyone else had their books and she laughed and said hardly anyone had a book, and no one got in trouble. I think the teachers know not everything happens on time; just tell them what happened (I actually think I'd do it face-to-face instead of an email).
Good luck with the rest of the school year!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not your fault ...
universitys are polital creatures and often more complex than they need to be

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not your fault..... but I would write what happened to you and send it to the TOP administrator of the University! No one should have to go thru what you did!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I just want to cry!!! I'm so upset! Maybe I should email the proffessors of the classes I missed. I don't know if they would understand, but at least they would know I'm not a skipper.
I would email them and explain what happened, and they probably won't be surprised. I'm sure they are used to this the first week or so of classes. It's hard with large universities because they seem to hire new staff right before the beginning of the semester so I'm sure mix ups like this aren't uncommon. Emailing them will let them know you didn't miss on purpose.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does attendance really matter at your college? I know for a fact that with few exceptions I wouldnt have been missed in any of my classes, and even if I were, attendance never made up part of our grade. If it does not matter, I would not email to explain, because the professors I have known will not accept this as acceptable reason for not knowing the day classes starts. They will question why you didnt check your own schedule/letter of acceptance etc., which could actually make you look worse. I would however complain to an administrator about how she misled you, cuz that can only work in your favour. Im sure the first day was all intro anyways! Good luck with the school year

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless this is a small university with really small classes, the professor probably didn't even know you weren't there. More than half of the students miss the first day anyway.

I would write to the Ombudsman of the college to see if you can't get things straightened out with the financial aid! It was not your fault, the people who should know their job gave you incorrect paperwork. You should not have to come up with $3000.00 to correct their error.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Dont blame yourself
Some college employees just dont care.

I have trouble with the college here too. They refused to let me get resident rates, even though I lived here for over a year. They told me I had to be married, a parent, or have a mortgage in order to "be a resident". Eh!??!? When I finally go back in January (most likely), I'll be married and have a mortgage ... and have lived here for 3.5 years. Ugh.
I was under the impression you had to live somewhere 6 months to be considered a resident. How unfair is that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!! I feel so much better after going to classes again today! Two of the three classes I missed don't take attendance!!!
Boy was that lucky! One of the classes has around 100 people and the other class has about 500!!! I've never been in a class that big! I started at a community college, so that explains how a Jr. hasn't ever seen a class that big! I'm so happy I didn't miss much. Math class was the only class I was actually missed in and he told me lots of kids missed the first couple days because there were a lot of things going on around campus.

I feel much better!

Thanks everyone! I think I will write someone high up about my financial aid mess up. Who would I talk to about that? I already set up a meetting with a financial advisor, but all he said was "I'm sorry that happened, but you can't sign up for classes till you come up with that money. Here are some banks that will loan you the money for a short time"