KatKwery! - August 27*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yam102284 has a ways to go before breaking marianjela's record but right now she is blazing hot! Two away from the green area in the standings now as a result of using the word never. She used think too, but not until after using never, and think was claimed by glitch. Marianjela used link(ed) to score her 700 points. Not used were several and software.

Today's KatKwiz was about the Today's Posts feature.

Not that anybody would ever do such a thing, but did you know that if a person was waiting for KatKwiz or KatKwery to be posted, that person would know about it clicking on Today's Posts sooner than another person clicking on New Posts? Do you ever use Today's Posts? Did you even know it was there? Did you realize that it presents you with a file of posts for exactly the last 24 hours? I'll bet you didn't know it gives you instantly the last posts whereas the New Posts feature does not, am I right?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I wouldnt think that someone clicking on Today's Post would know about the KatKwiz or KatKwery quicker than hitting the New Post button. In fact, if it had to be one or the other, I would have guessed the New Post would be faster just because it is the most convenient to find. I used to use the "Today's Post" link, but find the New Post link at the top of the page easier than going into the drop down menu. And of course I knew the Today's Post link was up there, because I am all for Quick Links, but really what is so quick about it? For what it's worth I really think hitting the New Posts button is more convenient and frankly I dont see a big difference between the two. I just tried comparing the two side by side using my tabs, and a lot of the same posts are listed on both lists, but I do see that one list is missing the KatKwery thread. But I imagine that is because I have read it already and it doesnt list something that I've already read that doesnt have new posts. I do realize that one shows posts made from that day, or within the last 24 hours. And I like how one of them show you links that you havent accessed first, then shows you threads that you have visited but that havent had any action or participation since your last visit. It's nice that it keeps track of it for you - I suppose it works on cookies or something, but personally, I find it easier to just use my UserCP and subscription service and entering the individual forums that I frequent separately. Weeds everything else out. But doing it this way you could miss posts from other forums, so I am drawn to check out the new posts anyway. Usually I pretty much always check on them daily.

Well, thanks for the win again Lee. Yam, I'm keeping my eye on you
and darn you Glitch - I'll never catch up at this rate

Oh and hey, who would ever sit around all day just waiting for the Kwiz or Kwery to be posted??? LOL Just because sometimes the first thing I do after checking my UserCP subscriptions is to head to Persi&Alley's profile and check out his personal posts to see if he has put them up yet, that way I dont have to wade through as many posts... ancient chinese secret... maybe I shouldnt've told ya'll.... Oh and here's another hint: hitting the refresh button doesnt work when you are looking at someone's personal posts or latest threads created. Although it does work when you are in The Cat Lounge forum!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Well, yam102284 has a ways to go before breaking marianjela's record but right now she is blazing hot! Two away from the green area in the standings now as a result of using the word never. She used think to but not until after using never and think was claimed by glitch. Marianjela used link(ed) to score her 700 points. Not used were several and software.

Not that anybody would ever do such a thing, but did you know that if a person was waiting for KatKwiz or KatKwery to be posted, that person would know about it clicking on Today's Posts sooner than another person clicking on New Posts? Do you ever use Today's Posts? Did you even know it was there? Did you realize that it presents you with a file of posts for exactly the last 24 hours? I'll bet you didn't know it gives you instantly the last posts whereas the New Posts feature does not, am I right?
Oh no, I would never wait for a Katkwiz or Katkwery to be posted.
I didn't know that the posts in Todays Post is more current than the ones in New Posts. I have never used either of the features. I did know that using Todays Posts only give you posts from the last 24 hours. There is so much to learn here on TCS.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you
I probably won't be breaking her record though lol

I had no idea about waiting for KatKwiz and clicking on Today's Posts over New Posts. I don't usually click on those things. When I venture onto the forums, I just click the different topics then click the threads I want to read. It's so much easier because I actually open up new tabs instead of going back and forth between the threads and topics. I did know it was there, and I may have clicked on it a few times just to see what it was about, when I read that that's how other people do things.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, yam102284 has a ways to go before breaking marianjela's record but right now she is blazing hot! Two away from the green area in the standings now as a result of using the word never. She used think too, but not until after using never, and think was claimed by glitch. Marianjela used link(ed) to score her 700 points. Not used were several and software.

No I didn't and actually just how that is worded really confuses me... Im stumped! No, I dont use todays post to find the katkwery or katkwiz because I go into the Cat Lounge and wait for it since I already know its going to be in that forum! I did know it was there, but I dont think I knew that there were two different ways to do it! I have used the New Posts feature and the Todays post, but I didn't realize they were two different ones, I guess I thought that they were the same thing! I didn't know the todays post brings it up with 24 hours of posts and threads but it makes sence since a day has 24 hours in it! No I didn't know that the New Posts feature didn't do that, but todays katkwery has my head spinning in circles, I guess Im overtired or something because the whole thing is just confusing me!! Thecatsite sure does have alot of cool features to use though! I think almost anything that could have been thought of for it has been!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

no, but it's not THAT important to me to be 1st - especially since i can't be here early enough for KatKwiz anyway! i never use Today's Posts, only New Posts. i knew it was there - but have never used it. didn't know about the 24 hours thing either. i know what it does, now, because of the KatKwiz!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea there there was that much difference between Today's Posts and New Posts. Of course, I use the easier one, New Posts. But that's usually after I've exhausted the User CP list of things I have to keep up on. I just can't seem to keep up lately, so I'm falling sadly behind in the katkwery/kwiz kwest!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

No I wouldnt think that someone clicking on Today's Post would know about the KatKwiz or KatKwery quicker than hitting the New Post button. In fact, if it had to be one or the other, I would have guessed the New Post would be faster just because it is the most convenient to find. I used to use the "Today's Post" link, but find the New Post link at the top of the page easier than going into the drop down menu. And of course I knew the Today's Post link was up there, because I am all for Quick Links, but really what is so quick about it? For what it's worth I really think hitting the New Posts button is more convenient and frankly I dont see a big difference between the two. I just tried comparing the two side by side using my tabs, and a lot of the same posts are listed on both lists, but I do see that one list is missing the KatKwery thread. But I imagine that is because I have read it already and it doesnt list something that I've already read that doesnt have new posts. I do realize that one shows posts made from that day, or within the last 24 hours. And I like how one of them show you links that you havent accessed first, then shows you threads that you have visited but that havent had any action or participation since your last visit. It's nice that it keeps track of it for you - I suppose it works on cookies or something, but personally, I find it easier to just use my UserCP and subscription service and entering the individual forums that I frequent separately. Weeds everything else out. But doing it this way you could miss posts from other forums, so I am drawn to check out the new posts anyway. Usually I pretty much always check on them daily.

Well, thanks for the win again Lee. Yam, I'm keeping my eye on you
and darn you Glitch - I'll never catch up at this rate

Oh and hey, who would ever sit around all day just waiting for the Kwiz or Kwery to be posted??? LOL Just because sometimes the first thing I do after checking my UserCP subscriptions is to head to Persi&Alley's profile and check out his personal posts to see if he has put them up yet, that way I dont have to wade through as many posts... ancient chinese secret... maybe I shouldnt've told ya'll.... Oh and here's another hint: hitting the refresh button doesnt work when you are looking at someone's personal posts or latest threads created. Although it does work when you are in The Cat Lounge forum!
Right now I am going to go to Today's posts as soon as I click submit on this reply. My reply will be there as soon as I do this. I will then see how long it takes to get on New Posts and report the answer.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Right now I am going to go to Today's posts as soon as I click submit on this reply. My reply will be there as soon as I do this. I will then see how long it takes to get on New Posts and report the answer.
My post appeared at 12:12 on Today's Posts. It was there as soon as I hit submit and hit Today's Posts. It is not on New Posts at all right now, twenty minutes later. This little exercise may have uncovered another area I need to analyze. Or perhaps a moderator is playing a trick on me? At any rate, perhaps I am getting ready to post KatKwery, who knows. Somebody clicking on Today's Posts is going to have an advantage and I will time exactly what it is.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My post appeared at 12:12 on Today's Posts. It was there as soon as I hit submit and hit Today's Posts. It is not on New Posts at all right now, twenty minutes later. This little exercise may have uncovered another area I need to analyze. Or perhaps a moderator is playing a trick on me? At any rate, perhaps I am getting ready to post KatKwery, who knows. Somebody clicking on Today's Posts is going to have an advantage and I will time exactly what it is.
Well, the fact that I was wrong in the questions I asked does not in any way change your chances of using the secret word. And it appears I was wrong and I have learned another oddity about TCS I did not know. Posts you make never appear in New Posts! Who would have ever thought? When I posted the KatKwery for today, it was right there in Today's posts, but like the earlier exercise I did, it never showed up in New Posts.

So here is what we ALL learned. Your own posts do not show up in New Posts. Thank you marianjela for making me research this!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, the fact that I was wrong in the questions I asked does not in any way change your chances of using the secret word. And it appears I was wrong and I have learned another oddity about TCS I did not know. Posts you make never appear in New Posts! Who would have ever thought? When I posted the KatKwery for today, it was right there in Today's posts, but like the earlier exercise I did, it never showed up in New Posts.

So here is what we ALL learned. Your own posts do not show up in New Posts. Thank you marianjela for making me research this!
P.S. please try this for yourself and let me know the results. Perhaps there is something wrong with just my unique username.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after I replied to today's KatKwery I went directly to "New Posts" and I couldnt find the link to it. But when I went to "Today's Post" it was several threads down.

I believe it is because after I post to it - or after I read it - it is "new" to me anymore. I think though, that once someone posts to it again, after me - it should show back up in the "New Posts".

I guess we'll see.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Well, after I replied to today's KatKwery I went directly to "New Posts" and I couldnt find the link to it. But when I went to "Today's Post" it was several threads down.

I believe it is because after I post to it - or after I read it - it is "new" to me anymore. I think though, that once someone posts to it again, after me - it should show back up in the "New Posts".

I guess we'll see.
Let's try this, marianjela, I can see your entry for today in KatKwery on New Posts and you cannot. Right this instant you cannot see your post in New Posts. I am going to go over and put my two cents worth in. Let's see if you can see it in New Posts along with your entry when I hit submit. That will solve this question.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Let's try this, marianjela, I can see your entry for today in KatKwery on New Posts and you cannot. Right this instant you cannot see your post in New Posts. I am going to go over and put my two cents worth in. Let's see if you can see it in New Posts along with your entry when I hit submit. That will solve this question.
Lee I was monitoring my UserCP, because I knew the minute someone replied to either thread it would show up - so after your reply came in, I headed over to the "New Posts" and sure enough I could see it.

Problem solved! Or is it? - answer answered!

Good sleuthing!!