Wellington is constipated

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much for the new all-dry diet the new vet insisted I put him on. He has been getting more and more miserable for days, and yesterday he would not eat at all. Last night he lay beside me and I could feel his misery and discomfort all night. So this morning he came with me and the ginger tom to the vet and I saw the head of practice. He immediately felt Wellington and diagnosed severe constipation. I explained the background and he agreed with me that I should never have put a cat with urinary problems on a dry diet. I said I liked the new vet and that the only thing we disagreed on was the diet. Anyway I don't know if any of you have ever given a cat an enema but that was the recommendation, using something made for human babies. It was an experience neither Wellington nor I enjoyed. It seems to be working though, and he ate, drank and used the box this afternoon. He is not yet back to his old self, but there is a definite improvement. The vet said that if he is not fully recovered by Friday to go back and they will run a full blood panel. My confidence is restored.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat also suffers from chronic constipation. It's important that these type of cats get a lot of moisture, which is why wet food is so vital. I have never done an enema at home before though. We always did it at the vet. However, he now takes three medications, which help him defecate.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with a constipation problem also. She has lax aire for it. She also has bladder problems. The Dry food can really plug a cat up. I wonder why your other vet said to feed dry.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

So much for the new all-dry diet the new vet insisted I put him on. He has been getting more and more miserable for days, and yesterday he would not eat at all. Last night he lay beside me and I could feel his misery and discomfort all night. So this morning he came with me and the ginger tom to the vet and I saw the head of practice. He immediately felt Wellington and diagnosed severe constipation. I explained the background and he agreed with me that I should never have put a cat with urinary problems on a dry diet. I said I liked the new vet and that the only thing we disagreed on was the diet. Anyway I don't know if any of you have ever given a cat an enema but that was the recommendation, using something made for human babies. It was an experience neither Wellington nor I enjoyed. It seems to be working though, and he ate, drank and used the box this afternoon. He is not yet back to his old self, but there is a definite improvement. The vet said that if he is not fully recovered by Friday to go back and they will run a full blood panel. My confidence is restored.
This is a major pet peeve with me that most vets are poorly educated when it comes to feline nutrition. Usually they all tend to recommend dry food, and just the mention of raw food makes them roll their eyes at you, so I don't particularly trust their opinions in this matter. I know that some vets are educated when it comes to cat food but most aren't. Heck, I had to take Samson in the vet, he had a bladder infection, and the vet asked me why I stopped giving him dry? Can you believe it??
Here's a helpful link:http://www.catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Do...ne_on_Dry_Food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

This is a major pet peeve with me that most vets are poorly educated when it comes to feline nutrition. Usually they all tend to recommend dry food, and just the mention of raw food makes them roll their eyes at you, so I don't particularly trust their opinions in this matter. I know that some vets are educated when it comes to cat food but most aren't. Heck, I had to take Samson in the vet, he had a bladder infection, and the vet asked me why I stopped giving him dry? Can you believe it??
Here's a helpful link:http://www.catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Do...ne_on_Dry_Food
Please NOTE the location of the poster ... Not all of us are able to ghet clean meats or the needed supplement s... Please think before linking and note the Real situation ( ie location

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing my vet recommends is adding water to the canned food. Pipsqueek has had both crystals in his urine, and recently extremely constipated. Mix in an additional tablespoon or 2 of water. The cat will think it is extra grazy and lick it up!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please NOTE the location of the poster ... Not all of us are able to ghet clean meats or the needed supplement s... Please think before linking and note the Real situation ( ie location
Excuse me, but first of all the link is for informational purposes, and I got it from this site. Also, the poster is from France. French people can get "clean" meats and supplements in France. Europeans also tend to feed their cats raw. When it comes to cat nutrition, they are much more evolved than us.

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
try oily fish. sardines, tuna, mackarel & herring all come in oil preparations & hopefully your cat will love it. also does the coat a world of wonder.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would not use fish if the cat has bladder problems also because it can make that worse. I amde the mistake before.
I wonder what to do about that now. Buster just got over a bladder infection. I've been buying a variety of wet food flavors. However, I noticed that both of my cats tend to prefer anything fish flavored. They tend to pick at beef flavored foods but never finish it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Excuse me, but first of all the link is for informational purposes, and I got it from this site. Also, the poster is from France. French people can get "clean" meats and supplements in France. Europeans also tend to feed their cats raw. When it comes to cat nutrition, they are much more evolved than us.
Note some of us have more of an idea.. as a rule of thumb Access is LIMITED in the EU right now for many items especially in the more remote area.. so please be considerate

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your Cats like chicken? Midnight has the crystals in his bladder also and the Er in San Mateo said no fish also. I am trying of think what else yo can try. I do not want your cat t end up like Coco.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry Wellington had to go thru that! but, you know - if you hadn't tried the dry, & other issues had continued, you would've questioned yourself. at least now, you know the outcome, & can go w/your own best judgement.
sending poop for Wellington! [yeah, i know he's already "done the deed" but there's probably more to come
]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is soooo much better, sitting on my lap purring and washing himself as I write this - my arms are stretched out over him! He has pooped again and his abdomen is soft.

I am avoiding fish and trying to keep to chicken or other poultry, or veal based foods. I have ordered a load of wet and dry from Zooplus online, and will keep Wellington and Bonaparte on the wet stuff as much as I can. As they go out for several hours a day normally (not at the moment, obviously), I can give the others some dry to munch on while the boys are not there.