Crying

goaliegal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, looking for a bit of advice ... I have a 1 year old male who is as charming as he is loud
He has been crying a lot lately - particularly in the morning and sometimes in the evening. He usually cries until someone is up in the morning and then he appears to be fine. In the evening he sits in the windows and cries. I'm not sure what the cry is ... sometimes it sounds sad to me. He has plenty of fresh food and water and his litter box is cleaned out at least once per day. Last night I was watching a movie and he was crying so I called him and he came into the living room and I played with him with his favorite toy for a while. Then when he was done with that he went back to the window again and started crying. He's strictly an indoor cat and I'm worried that maybe I'm not giving him everything he needs. Any ideas??

Thank you

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He could be bored and maybe feeling lonely. Is he alone all day? Do you leave the TV on for him? Try playing with him a bit more and see if that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goaliegal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

He could be bored and maybe feeling lonely. Is he alone all day? Do you leave the TV on for him? Try playing with him a bit more and see if that helps.
Thank you so much! I will try the TV and maybe the radio. Unfortunately he is home by himself during the day and I spend as much time as I can with him when I get home. I try to wear him out in the evening with his favorite toys but he's got a lot of energy! I really appreciate the feedback, thank you!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He sounds like he is lonely. Would getting another kitty be out of the question? Someone to spend the day with?

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if he is alone & indoors all day, maybe getting him a friend could solve alot of problems?? it would take the burden off of you for sole entertainment & company. it would probably make him feel more content at home aswell.

my yoshi is terrible for crying & she has a friend they love eachother dearly. i mothered yoshi far far too much because she was tiny when her companion & my soulmate died, so we clung to eachother too much!! now if i'm not in the same room...'waaaaaaaaawwwww'. she won't even jump onto the kitchen work surface herself because she knows all she has to do is say 'waaawwww' & i will pick her up, give her a kiss & put her up. it's my fault, but i can't resist her little face!! but to be honest i love it

arielrain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is your cat fixed? Maybe it's looking for a sweetheart. Or...could just be a talker. I had a cat once who loved to talk. Siamese are notorious for that.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amarna

if he is alone & indoors all day, maybe getting him a friend could solve alot of problems?? it would take the burden off of you for sole entertainment & company. it would probably make him feel more content at home aswell.

my yoshi is terrible for crying & she has a friend they love eachother dearly. i mothered yoshi far far too much because she was tiny when her companion & my soulmate died, so we clung to eachother too much!! now if i'm not in the same room...'waaaaaaaaawwwww'. she won't even jump onto the kitchen work surface herself because she knows all she has to do is say 'waaawwww' & i will pick her up, give her a kiss & put her up. it's my fault, but i can't resist her little face!! but to be honest i love it
Aaaawwww that is so sweet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goaliegal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of you are so great and so kind to take the time to provide suggestions, thank you so much! Yes, Leo is fixed so I'm hoping he's not looking for a sweetheart!
You're right though, I might have to consider a playmate for him. It tears me up to think that he's alone all day and when I get home I'm all he's got
I want to give him the very best because he deserves it and he's such a loving little guy!
I also think that he was taken away from his mother too soon and he's very attached to me. So maybe a playmate would ease both of our minds. I'm not sure though, I know that introducing another kitten into the household could create havoc but maybe I can figure something out in that regard. Thanks again to all ... I really appreciate it! Have a great evening

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's only doing it at the windows perhaps there's another cat outside? My neighbours 2 cats come into our yard and my cats love having conversations with them.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty cries alot when I have been working too much and she misses me (like lately) and once a give her a day full of affection, and some alone time away from Holly she stops crying. It is sad, but very annoying when you are trying to sleep in!

A bit of advice, I got Holly to keep Kitty company (and because I loved her) but Kitty seemed happier as an only child cat. I would try a bunch more attention before adding another cat, unless you just want one.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

A bit of advice, I got Holly to keep Kitty company (and because I loved her) but Kitty seemed happier as an only child cat. I would try a bunch more attention before adding another cat, unless you just want one.
I think Kitty is the exception. Cats are social animals.Her kitty is only 1 year old, so sould adapt very well to another cat.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitty is NOT the exception. I, too, had an "only" who wanted to be an only child, but I felt so much pressure to get her a companion- but she was miserable. Finally, my vet told me that cats ARE solitary animals by nature. Yes, some can be socialized to cohabit, especially if they come from the same litter. But no one should feel obligated to get a companion for a cat because it's "lonely." That's just anthropomorphizing the cat.

I noticed that when I was home during the day, my cat mainly slept. She was awake mornings, and I played with her before I went to work. When I came home from work, she didn't even want to play because I was interrupting one of her many naps.

Now I'm retired and home all day, so my cat is probably awake more because he's so nosy about what I'm doing. Nevertheless, he sleeps a good part of the day. Cats are predators, so they have energy in "spurts." I always make sure my cat has toys available if I'm not around at his play time (and I have always found evidence that they play during the night when I'm asleep).

No one should feel guilty because the cat is home alone during the day. Now if it was a dog, that's a completely different story. . . .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your kitty wants to go outside. I am having terrible difficulties with JC that way. My husband got a chain-link dog kennel (6'x8') FREE, and our renter made a chute from the bathroom window into the kennel; he added bunk-beds and a ramp for access. Joey loves it, but JC still wants more. He has to be walked on the leash several times a day, plus a long walk in his "stroller" (I bungee-corded his carrier on top of an old baby stroller - IMO, safer than the commercial cat strollers, because the cat is much higher above dogs, and the unknown shape scares dogs when they see it coming). Lately, that isn't enough, and I'm having trouble staying alert at work in the afternoons because of the all-night meowing