Help we have a Ant problem

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to fed Coco hr C/D and Ants were in her food. They keep coming in the sinks also. We had to throw food out in the kitchen also. Is there a safe way to kill them with out using poison? I need something safe for cats.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I went to fed Coco hr C/D and Ants were in her food. They keep coming in the sinks also. We had to throw food out in the kitchen also. Is there a safe way to kill them with out using poison? I need something safe for cats.
Windex. The exterminator told me that. Put it around the sinks and around the cat dishes. I am almost sure that it is not toxic to cats.

Also, cut down any branches that touch you house because that is one of the ways the ants enter your house.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
This wont kill them, but I find you can usually stop the ants in their tracks with a wall of cinnamon. If you know where they are coming from, or how they are getting on your counter / in the cat food, etc. you can simply sprinkle a pile of cinnamon to stop them. Most ants wont walk over it. (ants will usually all follow the same tracks)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the food dishes, put vaseline on the outside of them. It will at least keep the ants out of the cats food because they won't be able to climb into it. Just be careful when you pick it up!

I've heard of cinnamon to keep them out. I've also heard vinager works well. If you can find where they are coming in, spray the area with vinager. It won't kill them, but it will make them turn back.

I hate ants!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried the cinnamon technique awhile back, and it really did help! We had to put some ant baits on the floor inside the pantry (where kitties don't go), but by using the cinnamon on windowsill and other places kitties can reach, we apparently succeeded in thwarting their Plan B routes as well!

I should mention, though -- unfortunately, the cheap dollar-store cinnamon we bought specifically for this purpose was not nearly so effective as the good Spice Islands Saigon Cinnamon we use in cooking. What can I say, we had gourmet ants!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Windex. The exterminator told me that. Put it around the sinks and around the cat dishes. I am almost sure that it is not toxic to cats.
I wouldn't take the chance on Windex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windex
Ingredients:

Isopropanol
2-Butoxyethanol
Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether
Water
Isopropanol - Used as a solvent and reagent. This type of alcohol is used in ink and other products

Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether - Weak acid to help kill bacteria.

Water - Keeps pH levels stable, and to act as a solvent.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sprinkle diatomaceous earth across each doorway, on windowsills and around the bottom of baseboards. DE is safe for cats and humans, in fact, should they eat any of the DE, it will kill any internal parasites living in the animal. Of course the DE must also be food/human grade and NOT the industrial grade. If you do a search on DE you will find numerous threads extolling the virtues of this wonderful substance and places where you should be able to obtain it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I sprinkle diatomaceous earth across each doorway, on windowsills and around the bottom of baseboards. DE is safe for cats and humans, in fact, should they eat any of the DE, it will kill any internal parasites living in the animal. Of course the DE must also be food/human grade and NOT the industrial grade. If you do a search on DE you will find numerous threads extolling the virtues of this wonderful substance and places where you should be able to obtain it.
You took the words out of my mouth

I worked for a pest control company for about 2 yrs and I was going to recommend this

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will the Cin today because i have some here right now. Its not the cheap kind though. Where you get the diatomaceous earth from? I do not have any Coffee Grounds.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Amdro, or something like that, granules, from Home Depot but it is not safe for pets.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use Safer brand ant killer. It's the ONLY one that has worked for us. It's safe to use indoors around kids and pets. The main ingredient is mint oil. We have horrid ant infestations every single year, and it's the one and only thing that we have found that works. You can get it at Ace Hardware stores. It just smells like very strong mint. You have to keep spraying it over a period of a few days, but it REALLY DOES work.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=30496110953

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I will the Cin today because i have some here right now. Its not the cheap kind though. Where you get the diatomaceous earth from? I do not have any Coffee Grounds.
Here's a link that was posted in one of the other threads.
http://perma-guard.com/distributors.htm

I'm going to move this thread to Health & Nutrition since that is where these issues are usually addressed.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

You took the words out of my mouth

I worked for a pest control company for about 2 yrs and I was going to recommend this
I had a horrible flea infestation one time and 1 treatment of DE in my carpet killed them all in a week. And definitely get human grade DE.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The link dosent wotk.
I get this this when I clock on it.
Not Found

The requested URL /distributors.htm was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.8 (Fedora) Server at perma-guard.com Port 80

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

The link dosent wotk.
I get this this when I clock on it.
Not Found

The requested URL /distributors.htm was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.8 (Fedora) Server at perma-guard.com Port 80
this one should work - i just checked it: http://www.perma-guard.com/
altho i got mine at the feed store.