Going away for a romantic weekend... what to bring?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
After months of saying that I should get out of town for a few days, I have finally decided to go away next weekend with my boyfriend to a cute little village up north. I made reservations for two nights in a bed and breakfast. We will probably also go for one dinner at a nice restaurant (not more than one, those restaurants aren't cheap!). Aside from that, I would prefer to limit myself to cheaper restaurants and simple food I could bring or buy at the groceries.

Problem is, there wont be any fridge in our room and I don't have an ice box (I don't think my boyfriend does either). Can you think of any foods I can bring that don't need to be refrigerated?
Also, I wanted to bring something to drink, like bubbly wine, but once again, that would be better refrigerated. What else could I bring?

Any other ideas to keep my vacation affordable yet romantic?

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you could always buy a cooler and some ice??

or maybe make pasta which doesn't need to be refrigerated as well as taco's (hah just an idea lol) you could buy some steaks and bring some rice

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in Europe then I am guessing ice is not the commodity is in the states.
Fruit, crackers, fruit, red wine...You could ask the proprietor if you can put some items in their fridge. Without a cooler with an ice pack most meal type food need refrigeration. Bread. Some types of cheese. Maybe cured meat.
Or you can find some bargain value places. You can plan to eat two meals out and then have a snack back in the room.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

After months of saying that I should get out of town for a few days, I have finally decided to go away next weekend with my boyfriend to a cute little village up north. I made reservations for two nights in a bed and breakfast
In all honesty the only thing you need to bring with you is perfume

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can help with the booze part, not the food
. Why not bring red wine. Red wine is not served cold.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bread (french or pita) dipped in olive oil and spices (oregano, basil, etc) . Peanut butter and banana sandwich is sexy. Yum pastries would be good. Cheese, fruit, cucumbers and vinegar. Pickled foods with bread.

I hope you have a great time!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When traveling, we've always relied on peanut-butter-and-apple sandwiches. But then, romance has never been our goal, so...

Originally Posted by Pami

Peanut butter and banana sandwich is sexy.
It is?

Gosh... maybe I've been missing something...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

It is?

Gosh... maybe I've been missing something...
well for me any food is sexy if eaten right

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I am taking notes.
Keep them coming.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

In all honesty the only thing you need to bring with you is perfume

I don't even wear perfume.

Originally Posted by silvionc

I can help with the booze part, not the food
. Why not bring red wine. Red wine is not served cold.
Unfortunately, red wine gives me a headache. (and headaches on a romantic vacation are not a good idea
)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

In that case you're all set. Just bring your toothbrush
Buy the wine chilled at a nearby store.

Don't forget the edible undies and the edible body chocolate.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh fruit, like strawberries but buy this on your way up. You can also get a bottle of chocolate syrup. Have fun and use your imagination

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

If you are in Europe then I am guessing ice is not the commodity is in the states.
Is ice hard to get in Europe? If so, I didn't realize that.

Food wise, can you get some smoked salmon or something like that? I know smoked tuna is good on crackers or pita bread and didn't need to be kept cold so I'm guessing smoked salmon would be the same. That bread dip Pami suggested sounds wonderful! Here we can get tuna and chicken salad already in tins w/ crackers and it doesn't require refrigeration and makes a great snack.

Can't really help you with the wine because I'm a beer girl myself.

I really don't think your stomach is the main priority for this weekend though
. Have a great time!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Is ice hard to get in Europe? If so, I didn't realize that.
Not sure. I am in Canada and I'm not even sure how easy it is to find ice here... I don't buy it very often. I know that a few years ago when I moved, I needed some ice but couldn't find any nearby. I wont count on it for this weekend, but if I find some, it'll be useful.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

Not sure. I am in Canada and I'm not even sure how easy it is to find ice here... I don't buy it very often. I know that a few years ago when I moved, I needed some ice but couldn't find any nearby. I wont count on it for this weekend, but if I find some, it'll be useful.
I'm sorry, but finding ice in Canada should be easy!
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...you let yourself open for that one!
(don't you hate these jokes!)

Honestly though, I would check and see if your market stocks ice. We can nomally get it from gas stations or convience stores but sometimes it's hidden in the back of the store. For a cooler, you can usually get cheap ones at a department store, especially now since it's the end of summer. They may have some on sale. Even the disposible styrofoam ones will work for a weekend.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sure, I could find ice, but I would have to plan carefully to have enough to build my igloo for the weekend. Or else I might end up eaten by a polar bear.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell ice at most convenience stores here, I am sure the long trek out your way wont change that too much
otherwise buy those freezer bags from the grocery store (I know Loblaws / Fortinos and Sobeys have them) that can keep stuff cold without actual ice.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going on a romantic getaway and you are worried about food?!?!?!?!?

If you need energy, chocolate is good...

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Honestly though, I would check and see if your market stocks ice. We can nomally get it from gas stations or convience stores but sometimes it's hidden in the back of the store. For a cooler, you can usually get cheap ones at a department store, especially now since it's the end of summer. They may have some on sale. Even the disposible styrofoam ones will work for a weekend.
Why buy ice. If you start now, you can freeze a couple ice cube trays, dump them in a plastic bag in the freezer and set up some more. then you will have a whole bag of ice to take. You should be able to find a little igloo cooler. The wine and cheese idea is good, with crackers. Take some choclate candy, look for happy hours in the area befoer you go.