Kashi oatmeal

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm trying to eat better, but I draw the line at oat meal with seed in it. I tried the Kashi oatmeal this morning for the first time, and it is not good. It looked so good on the box, but the tast is not good. I don't understand how people can eat the Kashi foods. I tried something else of theirs once & it was not good either. Maybe I'm just too much of a junk food junky

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

OK, I'm trying to eat better, but I draw the line at oat meal with seed in it. I tried the Kashi oatmeal this morning for the first time, and it is not good. It looked so good on the box, but the tast is not good. I don't understand how people can eat the Kashi foods. I tried something else of theirs once & it was not good either. Maybe I'm just too much of a junk food junky
Did you try the one with Flax seeds in it? I can imagine that one's first jump into eating better could be a little put off if they see small black seeds in their breakfast.

Try this, buy plain oatmeal and put some honey and fruit in it in the mornings. You can adjust it to your own taste, and still get the healthy benefit from your breakfast.

DH and I have realized we can't live our lives with out some sort of junk food, so we make ours.

Don't let this one thing shake you off the path of healthy eating. Not everything has weird black seeds in it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to what I've read, there's no use in eating whole flax seeds, anyway -- it's the oil that's important, so they have to be ground up for your body to get the benefit. Or am I misinformed?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flax doesnt have to be ground, it just has to be cracked. Your body cant digest the shells so if they arent cracked (or chewed) they just pass right through.
I've tried the Kashi frozen pizzas, theyre pretty good if you like thin crust!

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Kashi frozen pizzas are super yummy. I highly recommend those.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a breakfast person and probably boring. I eat oatmeal with fruit in the winter and shredded wheat with fruit in the summer. Both are recommended to lower cholesterol, etc. Just the regular brands not Kashi.

On the weekends we have bagel.

Sounds like I should try the pizza.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I eat Kashi sometimes but like reg Oatmeal better. I use plain Oatmeal with two non fat creamers in it. I have lost weight doing it also. I have a Kashi Pizza in the freezer but I have not tried it yet.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the Kashi Go Lean cereal as a crunchy topping over yogurt w/fruit...it's yummy that way!
Their frozen waffles do have a "different" flavor than other frozen waffles, but I can get used to it.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My co-worker said the same thing about the Kashi oatmeal- she felt like a horse eating raw oats

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

And how do you know what foot tastes like, Nikki?
inquiring minds, y'know?
i quite liked the Kashi Go Lean when i ate cereal w/milk [pre-surgery - now lactose intolerant]. i tend to eat the Quaker Oatmeal Squares, now [dry].
i actually like flaxseed cereal - it's already ground, tho. but i have to watch flax consumption - has an adverse intestinal effect! [i know, TMI!]

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had the Kashi oatmeal. I love Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal, and I can tolerate the regular GoLean, though it's far from my favourite. Their granola bars are pretty good, and their original crackers are, seriously, the tastiest crackers I've ever had. Yummm. Now I want to go home and have some crackers & cheese

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Kashi is yummy, but personally prefer regular Quaker Oatmeal over Kashi's. If you'd like the addition of flax seed, it's wonderful to add some flax seed meal to the oatmeal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

My co-worker said the same thing about the Kashi oatmeal- she felt like a horse eating raw oats
Exactly, it was just not a pleasant experience. I suppose there is nothing wrong with regular oatmeal, I was just looking to add a little extra fiber. Maybe I'll try the dry Kashi ceareal. I now know the oatmeal is not for me!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the Kashi Go Lean. Actually, that's what I ate this morning with soy milk.

If you don't like the Kashi Oatmeal, buy some regular oatmeal but also buy some 7 grain cereal (usually in the health section). Then you can mix the oatmeal and cereal together but to your ratio. Then, just add some fruit, jam or honey to sweeten it up. It's great doing it this way, since you control each portion.

If you're trying to eat healthy, stay away from Quaker Oatmeal (the pre-made packages). They're useless, too much sugar and too much processed oats. It's much better getting the larger, longer cooking oats and then adding fiber/grains and sweetener to round out the breakfast.

For waffles, buy a waffle maker and make your own waffles on the weekends. Make a large batch, then freeze them and you have them for the week. Rob and I love making our own - beats Eggos any day and are much healthier.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I LOVE Kashi products! I LOVE their cereals, my favorite & what I have in the pantry right now infact is the Honey Almond Flax. YUM!

I LOVE the Organic food isle at the grocery store. So many yummy products. Another great brand is Annie's, they make great stuff... I buy their mac & cheese products for my kids... instead of the 'other brand' that kids are famous for loving... Annies brand doesnt have all the junk and dyes...

Sorry for the rant... LOVE Kashi...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do oatmeals. I am not crazy about grains for breakfast for the most part. Every morning for breakfast on workdays I have a fresh fruit salad that I make at home. It is worth the extra time to do this. Sometimes some organic yogurt with it. An organic egg or a slice of wheat bread with a small amount of real jelly and/or organic peanut butter is a good source of morning protein. Keep eating healthy, it is worth the investment in a real way.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the Kashi cereal - like the honey flavored kind and the strawberry flakes but the crunch I use as a treat when I need one. I even like flax but have yet try Kashi's. I usually put some flax on my cereal or pizza or in rice. You can buy capsules but they are not as beneficial - tho I am no nutritionist - as the actual thing.

I was a bit disappointed to discover Kellogg's made Kashi - why don't they just say Kellogg's special cereal or something but then I am not in marketing, lol