Litters everywhere

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
My cat and my girlfriend's cat both dispatch the litters everywhere while going out of their boxes. We use silica sand and I think their paws hold them while going out. In just three days the all the room was covered with silica sand. Is this normal or is there a reason for this like the quality of the litter? Our cats are both long hair and I thought this might be one reason. If its normal, anyway to prevent?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bad news, litter scattering is part of living with cats but it does sound like you're seeing more of it than usual. I'm not familiar with that type of litter so it may be that if it's fine it just scatters more than others. You can try a box with a hood on it. This prevents them from jumping out and flinging litter over the room (yes, it sticks in their paws though I don't know that hair length really matters here). I put down a cheap rug that I got at a Dollar Store to help catch it. I just shake it out and sweep each time I clean the boxes. There are all kinds of mats and stuff you can get at animal supply stores as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestion. The silica sand is large actually but it sticks anyway. I guess those large closed litterboxes with some airconditioning inside sounds a good idea (and also expensive).

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Have you tried a rug or mat around the litter pan on the outside to help catch the litter?
Silly me. I just spent a fortune on a kitty litter mat big enough to surround two litter boxes. My little girl, Scaredy Cat, is scared (go figure) of the mat so she carefully balances on the edge of the litter box and leaps over the mat when she's done with her business.

I guess I should look at the bright side. I never have to worry about her poopin' next to the box!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have such a problem with that too!

Now I have a high sided litter box (from PetSmart) use Worlds Best Cat Litter (it is heavier and doesnt track nearly as much) and use a woven cat scratch mat to collect some stray litter from the front of the litter box.

if your cats can adapt to that, and mine did very easily, you will be so happy
I kept the new box next to the old one for a day or so just in case.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ozadars

(and also expensive).
You'd be surprised. There are all kinds and all kinds of price points. You don't have to go expensive. You just want to restrict their ability to jump and have them step out instead.