RIP Mikey

hatzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mikey is gone. He was diagnosed with gastric lymphoma last week and had his first chemo treatment. He continued to be anemic, except for Monday, where his counts went up (i hate that day, b/c we were so optimistic that he turned the corner). Yesterday morning, he didn't want any food, which is unheard of. I got him to eat a little off of a spoon. Then he started breathing hard and I knew he wasn't doing well. I brought him to the hospital and the doc said his blood counts have dropped and he was anemic again, which means the tumor was indeed bleeding again. He consulted with the oncologist and concluded that he wasn't responding to the chemo. We knew what we had to do then. I went home to wait for my husband to get home from work. He left as soon as I called him, but he works in the city and it took him 1 1/2 hours to get home.

We got to the hospital at about 3:30 and they brought him out to us in the exam room. He looked terrible and his breathing was labored. That told me right then and there that we made the right decision. We hugged him and kissed him and pet him for at least 10 minutes and said our goodbyes. He started purring when I hugged him, which made me feel good.

We chose to be there when they did the injection and it was so quick. He finally looked at peace. We realized tonight that we lost Mikey over a month ago. He had not been himself at all since then and we didn't have the same "baby kitty" that we always did.

The feeling in my gut and hole in my heart will never heal. He was with me every step of the way, in the kitchen in the morning, at the door when I got home from work, at our side while we ate dinner, next to us while we watched TV, behind me while I was on the computer, and in between us when we slept. Everywhere I look is a reminder of how happy he made us. I've lost my parents, my baby, and now my baby kitty. Grieving doesn't get easier.

Thank you all again. I hope to be back on the boards in a different capacity when I'm up to it.

-Michelle

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm so sorry for your tragic losses, you must feel terrible now... I wish there was something I could do. You're in my thoughts

RIP Mikey

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh i am so sorry.
what a terrible, terrible time you are having.

there really isn't anything i can say to help other than to tell you i think you sound like a unselfish, caring, incredibly strong person. i guess you are feeling far from that, but your acts of kindness towards your precious mikey prove that.

he purred to let you know he needed to go and he was so very grateful that you understood that. you will always have a mikey sized hole in your heart, but the bond between you will remain strong forever.

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

RIP little one, watch over your meowmy.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry, it certainly sounds like you've grieved once to many

Have a wonderful time at the bridge Mikey, and know your loved so much

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
I'm so glad that you stayed with him, I stayed with my Lizzie and I'm so very glad I did...somehow it made me feel better.

You did everything you could for Mikey and now he's happy and healthy again.

Rest In Peace Mikey

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. You did the right thing and he is not suffering anymore. Rest in Peace Mikey.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am just so sorry. It sounds like you have experienced your share of losses. Its just not fair. Many hugs to you.

Rest In Peace Mikey

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
a lovely tribute to your baby
play happily over the
bridge, Mikey!
& for you during this painful time...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hatzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. It comes in waves. I just didn't realize how much a part of my day he occupied. Even my thinking...ugh. I'm a teacher and thankful that I'll be back at work next week, so I can occupy my mind.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hatzy

Mikey is gone. He was diagnosed with gastric lymphoma last week and had his first chemo treatment. He continued to be anemic, except for Monday, where his counts went up (i hate that day, b/c we were so optimistic that he turned the corner). Yesterday morning, he didn't want any food, which is unheard of. I got him to eat a little off of a spoon. Then he started breathing hard and I knew he wasn't doing well. I brought him to the hospital and the doc said his blood counts have dropped and he was anemic again, which means the tumor was indeed bleeding again. He consulted with the oncologist and concluded that he wasn't responding to the chemo. We knew what we had to do then. I went home to wait for my husband to get home from work. He left as soon as I called him, but he works in the city and it took him 1 1/2 hours to get home.

We got to the hospital at about 3:30 and they brought him out to us in the exam room. He looked terrible and his breathing was labored. That told me right then and there that we made the right decision. We hugged him and kissed him and pet him for at least 10 minutes and said our goodbyes. He started purring when I hugged him, which made me feel good.

We chose to be there when they did the injection and it was so quick. He finally looked at peace. We realized tonight that we lost Mikey over a month ago. He had not been himself at all since then and we didn't have the same "baby kitty" that we always did.

The feeling in my gut and hole in my heart will never heal. He was with me every step of the way, in the kitchen in the morning, at the door when I got home from work, at our side while we ate dinner, next to us while we watched TV, behind me while I was on the computer, and in between us when we slept. Everywhere I look is a reminder of how happy he made us. I've lost my parents, my baby, and now my baby kitty. Grieving doesn't get easier.

Thank you all again. I hope to be back on the boards in a different capacity when I'm up to it.

-Michelle
I am so very sorry for your loss. Mikey is now over at the Bridge where is is healthy once again.

tncatwoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness...I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. I know this must have been a very, very difficult few weeks for you. I hope the happy memories will crowd out the sadness soon.