How Would You Handle This?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally got my court date for my SSD hearing (after fighting this for almost 3 years), and peeps who have gone through this before have 'advised' me to "act worse off than I really am" and to "look like I'm unkempt and not all there".
Well, that's not me...

I'm definitely hurting & miserable most of the time due to my back situation, but I'm no 'faker'. I'm not gonna 'act' like I'm worse off than I really am. I don't have to act, b/c my disability is real. I don't think I should be putting on a show, just to prove my case..

Secondly, I'm not a slob, and I don't think I should show up at the hearing looking like one, either. I usually wear make-up when I go out in public, I wear nice clothes, and my hair & nails are done. Am I supposed to go to the hearing just wearing a t-shirt & sweatpants? That's pretty much what I've been advised to do..

And I'm supposed to act "nuts". I don't have to act, b/c I am!

Seriously, I do suffer from anxiety & depression, but I don't consider myself mentally ill. The anxiety & depression are a contributing factor to my case and contribute to me not being able to work right now, but I certainly don't belong in an institution. I could probably benefit from some counseling, but since I'm not working, I can't afford it b/c I have no insurance..

I really need my disability, but I don't want to act like I'm someone I'm not, just to win my case.

How would y'all handle this?? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tiff

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing to remember at any hearing is to state the facts honestly and as clearly as you can.. Don't fake anything because that could jeopardize the whole process and certainly that isn't going to help you..

Be yourself, explain your sistuation, provide medical documentation if you have it and I am sure things will work out...

Good luck..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't fake it. The doctors/judge goes by what's in the medical records more then anything else.

I work with the judges/disability stuff for the federal government. And I know a few in DH's family that applied for disability and I know they are faking stuff and are capable of working!

If you have enough medical reports to back up things, you'll get it. However, I will tell you that 90% of the people are turned down the first time around and even the 2nd time around. Then it goes before the admin judge and most cases will be favorable.

What I hate is the mother's bringing their ADHD kids in for "disability" - they get turned down 90% of the time before the judge. ADHD is not a disability; most of those kids problems stem from the lack of training given by the parents! Its a little handicap but managable with the right training.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
be yourself and don't fake it..it makes things worse

good luck with everything!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you have enough medical reports to back up things, you'll get it. However, I will tell you that 90% of the people are turned down the first time around and even the 2nd time around. Then it goes before the admin judge and most cases will be favorable.
My medical history regarding my back condition goes back thirty years - including back surgery, and years of chiropractic treatments: I've suffered with it almost all my life.

I've been turned down twice now, which I guess is normal. I guess they figure that most peeps are gonna give up after being denied - out of sheer frustration if anything else. I can certainly relate to the frustration part, but I'm not about to give up b/c as depressing as it's been to realize I can no longer work, I've had to face up to the fact that I can't. That alone has been depressing enough, b/c I want to work.

I'm glad y'all agree that "faking it" isn't the way to go!

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

My medical history regarding my back condition goes back thirty years - including back surgery, and years of chiropractic treatments: I've suffered with it almost all my life.

I've been turned down twice now, which I guess is normal. I guess they figure that most peeps are gonna give up after being denied - out of sheer frustration if anything else. I can certainly relate to the frustration part, but I'm not about to give up b/c as depressing as it's been to realize I can no longer work, I've had to face up to the fact that I can't. That alone has been depressing enough, b/c I want to work.

I'm glad y'all agree that "faking it" isn't the way to go!
I don't know a lot about how these things all work, but I would tell the judge exactly that. Especially the part about being frustrated and depressed because you really CAN'T work, and really want to. And I wouldn't feel right "faking" it either. They've probably seen many people try and fake it and are wary of this thing. It's too bad dishonest people have tried to get disability when they really didn't need it, because it just makes it that much harder for those that DO need it.

I hope all goes well for you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really advise you on that because I don't know enough about it. I would just be genuine and honest with them.

Good luck!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They've probably seen many people try and fake it and are wary of this thing. It's too bad dishonest people have tried to get disability when they really didn't need it, because it just makes it that much harder for those that DO need it.
Unfortunately, that is quite true - especially in this area - which consists of mostly welfare abusers, and peeps who are receiving disability who don't need it.
So trying to get it when you really need it is even more difficult, due to all the "fakers"..

But I'm trying to remain optimistic - in spite of getting denied twice.
I don't think my disability advocates would have taken my case, if they didn't think I could prove it and win it. After all, they want to get their share of the money involved, too...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not fake anything. My Husband gave up because he was turned down.
He has a bad back and Leukemia and he still got turned down.
I hope you get it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would not fake anything. My Husband gave up because he was turned down.
He has a bad back and Leukemia and he still got turned down.
I hope you get it.
Tell him to NOT give up, and to keep on fighting for it. They expect you to give up. If he has an honest disability, he'll eventually get it.

I'll PM you the name of the firm that's helping me to win my case. Maybe they'll be able to help your hubby..
It doesn't hurt to try.

Edited to add: A friend of mine has cerebral palsy, and has had it since birth - not to mention several other disabilities. She's on crutches and in a wheelchair - and they turned HER down!
Her doctor just rolled his eyes when she went in to see him and have him fill out more papers for the SSD. But she didn't give up, and now has her disability.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, i don't know what's available to where you are. But the counselling i went to was $25 a session, once a week, and i don't have a job atm either. The first bunch of counselling i went to was paid for through the government for 12 sessions because at that time i was pretty much suicidal and had my father tell me to grow a backbone over these certain issues.

You should have a look around and see if there are any cheap counselling or programs that can be offered to you through your council.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Sweetie, i don't know what's available to where you are. But the counselling i went to was $25 a session, once a week, and i don't have a job atm either. The first bunch of counselling i went to was paid for through the government for 12 sessions because at that time i was pretty much suicidal and had my father tell me to grow a backbone over these certain issues.

You should have a look around and see if there are any cheap counselling or programs that can be offered to you through your council.
Well, considering the fact that my s/o is the only one working, and all my medical expenses have to be paid out-of-pocket (including my meds, doctors' office visits, etc.), adding more to the pot is a big burden to an already tight budget. $25.00 a week is a lot of money to us right now.

But I appreciate the advice, and I'll check into it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Well, considering the fact that my s/o is the only one working, and all my medical expenses have to be paid out-of-pocket (including my meds, doctors' office visits, etc.), adding more to the pot is a big burden to an already tight budget. $25.00 a week is a lot of money to us right now.

But I appreciate the advice, and I'll check into it.
Sorry =\\ I know at times it can be alot for me too depending on what i need to pay off at the time. Btw that's $25 in AU dollars so $21 in US.

Surely your local gp or hospital have some sort of free programs offered if you're on any sort of health cover.

Sorry to rant, i hope everything turns out ok.

If i won lotto today i'd send some money over to you.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not fake it but I would not try to put on a brave face either. I would be brutally honest. People who are honestly disabled deserve to get disability.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Don't fake it. The doctors/judge goes by what's in the medical records more then anything else.

I work with the judges/disability stuff for the federal government. And I know a few in DH's family that applied for disability and I know they are faking stuff and are capable of working!

What I hate is the mother's bringing their ADHD kids in for "disability" - they get turned down 90% of the time before the judge. ADHD is not a disability; most of those kids problems stem from the lack of training given by the parents! Its a little handicap but managable with the right training.
Ugh. I know exactly the type of mothers you are talking about. I have met so many people who have so called ADHD kids only to find out that their home life is chaotic and unorganized and they feed the kids junk. The kids watch TV 20 hours a day, play video games hours a day, have no rules or structure and no discipline. Then they want someone else to fix it. It is such an over diagnosed disorder.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my dad got turned down as well and he has blood clots in his legs and had an aneurysm in his aorta :|

But also His doctor is an arse and said he could go back to work
my dad couldn't stand for more than an hour and a half and the company he worked for dealt in harvesting nickel and metals from the earth..like

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be yourself! That's the easitest way to keep your story straight and to be a good honest person! As long as you keep your story straight I think you'll be fine! I've been to a few hearings and it's when you stumble through questions or contratict yourself that the "other side" will eat you alive!!! Just stick to the facts and be honest!

Lots of comming your way!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Sorry =\\ I know at times it can be alot for me too depending on what i need to pay off at the time. Btw that's $25 in AU dollars so $21 in US.

Surely your local gp or hospital have some sort of free programs offered if you're on any sort of health cover.

Sorry to rant, i hope everything turns out ok.

If i won lotto today i'd send some money over to you.
You weren't ranting.
You were just trying to honest & helpful.