Ginger Tom asks for my help

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For 5 or 6 weeks a ginger tom has been terrorising my cats every time they go out. My daughter and I had to rescue Bonaparte once, who had been backed into a corner of the stable and was so scared he messed himself. So this animal has not been my favourite. I have been pondering how I can catch him and neuter him.

Today I was cleaning a field when he appeared and instead of running away from me as he usually does, he approached and sat down not far off. So I sat down too and we began a conversation, establishing that we were not threatening each other and that it was OK to wash in the other's presence. I then went and got some food and he followed me half way to the house and was on the terrace when I came back out. He let me sit by him while he ate, and I noticed that he had a very swollen and mis-shaped front paw. So it then became a question of his need, not mine, that he should be caught.

An hour later I had him in a cage and he will go to the vet tomorrow morning for treatment and neuter! I managed eventually to look at his paw and he has a very nasty bleeding abscess on the pad. It is pushing all his toes out of place and must be very painful.

I do not know who if anyone he belongs to, but it may be he is a local farm cat. After he is better I shall release him again to live his life, and hope that as his hormones diminish he will be less aggressive. The only other alternative is to take him to the shelter, and I do not want him to live out his life there, he needs the open air and space. So vibes please that it is all successful.

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The ginger Tom is so lucky to have run into you! And I can't believe you caught him within a half hour! I'm sending good vibes that everything goes sucessfully.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that's amazing that he knew when, who, and how to ask for help. Good luck!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that you caught him so quickly!! We have been trying to catch a cat since last October! He is very crafty with the trap. Within the last few months, however, he has been coming close to the building. We have moved his shelter and feeding station right by the door and now he is always there. Before the weather changes we are going to aggressively try and trap him and get him to the vet and possibly see if he would not like to be brought indoors. He looks into the windows of the office every day and is becoming less afraid. We provided for him all last winter and did our best to keep him safe and warm, but it would be so nice to know that he is inside and happy!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like this has been festering for some time. I hope the pain is also partially possible for his aggression, and that the treatment combined with the neuter will calm this boy down!

Jenny, you're wonderful as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the ginger tom to heal and become a sweet, calm boy.

Laurie

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending many many vibes for this little redhead.
Like Sarah said, its amazing he knew where to come for help.
I wonder if this has been another stressor for your cats, other than the fosters. I hope this helps all inovlved to be less stressed.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Wow, that's amazing that he knew when, who, and how to ask for help. Good luck!
They're smart. And they're very pragmatic.
I'm glad you were there for him, and hope his paw is on the mend soon, and he's feeling less aggressive.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am positive that neutering and healthcare will help his temperament. I would not take him to a shelter either.
Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is home from his ordeal at the vet's. But he was very good in the car - he is obviously not a feral but used to people, just very scared. He let me scruff him while the vet gave him an antibiotic injection for his paw. The abscess is drained and we will let it heal by itself while he stays in a cage for a few days. He doesn't like that - he is certainly used to space, but he is being very calm, considering. Then I must decide what to do with him. I will look to see if he has an owner, but he was not chipped or fixed so whover had him is not very responsible. That however describes 99% of the farmers round here.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you Jenny for helping this poor soul. Sending calming and healing vibes for this sweetie. Hopefully, something will come to you with exactly what you can do to help this baby.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KRZ

How wonderful that you caught him so quickly!! We have been trying to catch a cat since last October! He is very crafty with the trap. Within the last few months, however, he has been coming close to the building. We have moved his shelter and feeding station right by the door and now he is always there. Before the weather changes we are going to aggressively try and trap him and get him to the vet and possibly see if he would not like to be brought indoors. He looks into the windows of the office every day and is becoming less afraid. We provided for him all last winter and did our best to keep him safe and warm, but it would be so nice to know that he is inside and happy!!

Sending vibes that you catch your wary guy very soon & blessings to you for being his guardian angels

And hooray for getting GingerTom to the vet - poor guy, he was sure smart about who to go to for help

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is doing fine, still in his cage in the back corridor. I am cleaning his paw every day with Betadine and giving him his antibiotics. He is taking it all like a lamb amd meows for attention whenever he sees me, putting his head against the cage to be rubbed. He is eating well and using a tray, a little bit of runny poop but nothing that isn't normal considering medication and change of food.

The paw is now dry but still very mis-shaped and swollen and there is a claw that sticks straight up and won't retract. You still can't see the various pads underneath - it is all scab. I am not going to let him go till I am sure it is going to heal properly. No one locally is making any enquiries about him so I still have no idea where he comes from. The others know he is there and have seen him once or twice. Wellington and Dushka hissed at him but most of them ignore him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitties are also great about ignoring sick kitties.

I'm glad he's doing well. That paw sounds painful.

It really sounds like he was a terror because of his pain. I have a feeling you've got yourself a new barn kitty!

Laurie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that the lil guy is doing better. for his paw to recover!!

Like you have a lot of spare time, but a pic of this dear boy would be nice!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are all reading my mind! I took some pix this morning and logged on to post them:

You can just see how much bigger his left paw is than the right.

I let him out of the cage to take a closeup.

It was hard holding his paw in the right position but you can just make out here all the black mass above the underside of his paw. That is all scab. I just hope proper pads will regrow underneath.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look at those sweet kind eyes

Quick recovery vbes for that sweetie