moggies that look like siamese

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand when a female is in heat she can have diff't partners. What makes a pointed blue eyed cat appear out of other 'regular' moggies, ie grey tabby, torties/ and or calicos. This has happened various times that I know of. A cat with such an appearance wouldn't have the characteristics of a purebred necessarily would it? ie. talkative, super loving...
TIA

This is bubbles, a moggie

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share....tate=RETRIEVED

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The way I understand it the pointed gene is recessive so two cats that aren't pointed could each be carrying the gene and a small percentage, or none of their kittens, may be pointed. Some of their kittens that aren't pointed are probably also carrying the gene for it.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowball is a moggie and looks similiar to a flame point Siamese, and even has those beautiful blue eyes. He is vocal, but doesn't have a Siamese type of voice. Those pictures of Bubbles are very similiar to what Snowball looked like as a kitten. He was born to a tortie named Casey who had the long slender body type of a Siamese. Casey was an indoor-outdoor cat whose owners never had her fixed, so she mated frequently with any old tom that came along. However, in each one of her litters there was always one kitten that looked like a seal point and one kitten that looked like a flame point.

A moggie might have some but not all of the breed characteristics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

Casey was an indoor-outdoor cat whose owners never had her fixed, so she mated frequently with any old tom that came along. However, in each one of her litters there was always one kitten that looked like a seal point and one kitten that looked like a flame point.
This is true in Bubbles' case as well. Her mom has had at least 4 litters and all had one seal point blue eyed moggie, regardless of toms. I hat this question, but this is an acquaintance, so I can't steal her cat and fix it, but I can only keep telling her of s/n programs and especially CHEAP ones where we live. I can only hope she will do this. She loves her pets but as you can imagine she is getting criticized a LOT.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute kitten. I think that most people automatically say "siamese" when you have a pointed cat.

Its simply a pointed gene. Many breeds can have it. Yes it originated with the siamese, but that's all. Just cause its a pointed cat, doesn't mean it will act like or have the personality/voice of a siamese.

Its a recessive gene - both parents have to carry it or show it. So more then likely if you are getting pointed in most of the litters no matter what tom - tells me the toms are related to the mother cat; they all are carrying the pointed gene. Otherwise you would have non pointed cats but 1/2 of them would be carriers. Sounds like a LOT of inbreeding going on in this group of cats - not a good thing at all.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that if the mother has been mating with several toms and producing colourpoint kittens that there is a good chance she is closely related to those toms, it is not that common for so many cats to carry the colourpoint gene.

Letting her continue to breed with these probable close relatives could well result in kittens with weak immune systems or other health problems that could lead to them having shortened lives and being prone to infection and disease - let your friend know that and hopefully it may sway her decision about spaying.