Clomicalm

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet has recently perscribed the drug Clomicalm for my cat Fred. I have put off giving it to him, hoping for feedback from some other cat owners who have either given it to their cats or have opinions based on others' experiences.

Here's the back story. Fred has always been the more sensitive of my two cats. He's also very dependant, momma's boy, etc. On and off throughout his 6 year life he has had behavioural issues that involve urinating and defectating on my sofa and bed. He was in the best behaviour for the past year, as my boyfriend moved in and my tenant moved out. As a result, I'm home every night now, plus he has cat lovers around at all times.

About a month ago, I started a new contract at work requiring me to work 13 hours a day. I had had a lot of time off earlier this year because of a union strike. Around the same time, I agreed to my old tenant moving back in to the guest room for a few months as he was temporarily back in town. The tenant moved back the exact same day I started on my new job.

Literally, the second day my tenant moved in, Fred peed and pooed on the bed. This continued (even after cleaning everything with Nok-Out) for about 3 days until my boyfriend and I decided he could no longer sleep in the bedroom. Then he started on the couch. We put protective mats on the couch, then he started on the antique rug (now at the cleaners for the grand price of $300).

I've been going crazy all month not knowing what to do! The accidents are less frequent now that he can't go into the bedroom, there are no more rugs and my sofa is covered up. He accidently got into the bedroom on Saturday (I'll admit I let him as I missed having the cats in there with me), and no surprise, he peed on the bed when I drifted off to sleep. My boyfriend went to the vet in desperation and he perscribed this Clomicalm.

Anyway, just looking for some feedback before I start Fred on "Kittie Prozac". Though he's driving me nuts right now, I still don't want to do the wrong thing for him.

Another question, it says it takes a month to kick in. However, one TCS thread commented that it made a cat dopey after one pill? I'm confused. The vet said one pill a day, but should I start with 1/2 a pill instead?

I'm hoping this drug can get us through the next two months of my tenant's stay and the end of my contract in December. I know it's not the best alternative, but I can't live in a urine soaked house! Plus, having to shut our bedroom door every night is hard as they meow for hours, not to mention it breaking my heart at the same time!

Thanks for any advice or feedback!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, some general thoughts...I have read many other observations/descriptions of cats who are extremely sensitive to changes in their environments...and, some of the cats' reactions have been inappropriate "eliminations".

My own cats have surprised me in their reactions to certain changes...i.e. a stranger in the house. My most assertive cat, Taz, headed for "the hills" when, recently, an acquaintance came by for the first time. Of all six, he would have been my last guess for that behaviour.

When I adopted Taz, he was about a year old and intact...and spraying. I was cautioned that, even after neutering, he might continue spraying. Well, sure enough, a few days after coming home from the Vet's, he was back to his "old self". My Vet prescribed Ovaban, a female hormone, and the result was immediate. However, Taz also became a zombie. The plan was to keep him on it for an extended period of time but, I couldn't bear seeing him in that state. After what was probably 2-3 weeks, we weaned him off the drug.

I found a case very similar to yours where the cat was prescribed Clomicalm 1/2 tablet (presumably 5mg) daily - that cat also became a "basket case". I'll PM you with the detail, as the thread is located "elsewhere".

If you don't have the product insert, it's at this link.

This is the licensing info for Canada. It's licensed for dogs, so your Vet is prescribing it off-label.

MarVistaVet covers it well here. Check the potential side effects...I'd be watching the litterbox carefully given the possible urinary and constipation issues. One reference I found suggesting giving it with some food to reduce the potential for vomiting.

Given all of that and, if I were in your position - which I really feel for - I would certainly try it out. Given that the one cat I referenced "zombied" with just 2.5 mg/day, I would probably check back with the Vet and discuss reducing the dosage - or, starting with the 5mg and reducing to maybe 1/2 tab once it has "kicked in". (I'd be tempted to reduce it again to 1/4, once I was able to judge its effect.) One thing you should also discuss is the gradual weaning Fred from it - that is, not to stop it "cold turkey".

I hope you post back and, if you use it, let us know how Fred "received" it. Good luck!

(You called it Kittie-Prozac...actually Prozac is used for pets too!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

\\

Given all of that and, if I were in your position - which I really feel for - I would certainly try it out. Given that the one cat I referenced "zombied" with just 2.5 mg/day, I would probably check back with the Vet and discuss reducing the dosage - or, starting with the 5mg and reducing to maybe 1/2 tab once it has "kicked in". (I'd be tempted to reduce it again to 1/4, once I was able to judge its effect.) One thing you should also discuss is the gradual weaning Fred from it - that is, not to stop it "cold turkey".

I hope you post back and, if you use it, let us know how Fred "received" it. Good luck!

(You called it Kittie-Prozac...actually Prozac is used for pets too!)
Wow those are some very good links ...

I would highly recommend discussing with your vet ....

shannon cole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cousin is a veterinarian in MI. About 7 years ago my 8# cat Karley started acting weird. Crying at walls, waking us up in the middle of the night. We tried steroids & other medications & nothing was working. My cousin recommended Clomicalm for her. I got it in liquid form (tuna flavored) and it worked wonders!!  I had to adjust the dose a bit but one we got it right I had my love bug back again!  Here is the kicker...She was on it for 3 month. All of a sudden one day her eye looks likes its poked out! She gets rushed to the vet & it a cold they say, within another 24 hours she had vertigo. As it turned out Karley had been acting that way because she had a undetected brain tumor!! I lost my little girl with 48 hours of the first physical signs. But to this day I cant thank my cousin enough becuase her recommendation gave Karley 3 months of peace & comfort!! 

Now her sister Kizzy who is 13 years old has started pulling out her fur the past few months. I tried the more natural calming remedies - Rescue Remedy, Pheramone collars, calming treats. I finally had to take her into the vet. They made sure it wasn't an allergy, ring worm or skin condition. She is stressed and there could be several factors, us getting ready to move, a change in the hierarchy (my other cat is challenging her for Alpha now that shes getting older), and I've been working a lot. I've cut back on the work hours but cant help with the other factors. She is now going to be put on Clomicalm. I have all the faith in the world it will put my furry babies mind at ease after the great results we had with her sister on it.  

Last edited by a moderator: