Please Help...

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okaaay...so I ran outta canned 'soft' food today!
Before that I ran out of purina hard food I was feeding them so I turned too meow mix, which they actully don't seem to mind..usually.
Today however...they haven't eaten a thing!
I mixed a lot of canned food for them because they love soft food!!!
Seriously, that's all they'd eat if it was up to them!!

I'm so nervous/scared!
They haven't touched their food all day, and I can tell they're hungry and I won't be able to get them anything till tomorrow!!!

What do I do???

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There may be something you have in your kitchen. Do you have any meat that is cooked? Chicken, turkey, beef, even fish. Just offer them a few bites minus any onion or garlic. Look in your freezer and see what you can find. Put any frozen meat in water and boil until done.

When mine have had an upset stomach I boil chicken (no bones) and white rice into a mush. They will eat it sometimes.

Check the pantry for canned fish. Would not use as a normal food, just to get something in them.

I will try to think of more. Keep offering fresh water. They will get by. Hope you make it ok tonight.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, it's okay to only feed them wet, especially if they like it. I'm weaning my one kitty off dry to go totally wet. It's actually better for them than dry.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try a little anned tuna if you have any. ONLY if it is in WATER though. I have heard, maybe I am wrong, that tuna in oil is not very good for them....Best of Luck.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by x0fantasy_

Okaaay...so I ran outta canned 'soft' food today!
Before that I ran out of purina hard food I was feeding them so I turned too meow mix, which they actully don't seem to mind..usually.
Today however...they haven't eaten a thing!
I mixed a lot of canned food for them because they love soft food!!!
Seriously, that's all they'd eat if it was up to them!!

I'm so nervous/scared!
They haven't touched their food all day, and I can tell they're hungry and I won't be able to get them anything till tomorrow!!!

What do I do???
Why can't get them anything till tomorrow? Not trying to get personal heh, but if it's a money issue, ie, waiting till payday, is there *anyone* you can borrow a couple of dollars from till then just so you can buy them their canned food? A neighbor perhaps that you can beg from?

It's very important that you get them the food that they do like asap. You see, cats are infinitely more stubborn than we humans and as incredible as it may sound, they will starve themselves rather than eat something they have decided they don't like!

Now that being said, they can go up to 12 - 24 hours without food, but obviously that is not recommended!

On a last note, if your cats loved the canned, I would keep feeding them that as their main food source as it is infinitely better for them.

Keep us posted if you can!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are much better dry foods then Meow Mix (I think its the worse). You can give them cooked hamburger, boiled chicken to tie them over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay!

I actully got Khi to eat, but I think Jellow isn't feeling good right now...so he's not eating but he's been drinking water.

I baught imes for kittnes as dry food and they absolutely LOVE this wet food : Friskies by purina! I mean they'll go crazy for it!!!

So what I do is mix the dry&wet food together so they have a mixture of both!
Usually they eat it like they seriously NEVER eat (lol).

They are doing alright though, thank you very much for all your responses and you guys have deff given me plenty of ideas!!!!

I was freakin' out when i posted, but I'm doing so much better!!!

They seem to be okay, although Im a little nervous bout Jellow Cakes.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Okay!

I actully got Khi to eat, but I think Jellow isn't feeling good right now...so he's not eating but he's been drinking water.

I baught imes for kittnes as dry food and they absolutely LOVE this wet food : Friskies by purina! I mean they'll go crazy for it!!!

So what I do is mix the dry&wet food together so they have a mixture of both!
Usually they eat it like they seriously NEVER eat (lol).

They are doing alright though, thank you very much for all your responses and you guys have deff given me plenty of ideas!!!!

I was freakin' out when i posted, but I'm doing so much better!!!

They seem to be okay, although Im a little nervous bout Jellow Cakes.
It's not good to mix the wet and dry together!!! When the dry gets wet it can develop bacteria that is harmful to cats! The exception is if that they are eating the whole thing in one sitting and not leaving any behind. Whatever is left behind you have to chuck after 20 mins.

Check out this link:

http://www.catinfo.org/#My_Cat_is_Do...ne_on_Dry_Food

If Jellow is not eating by tomorrow you may want to take him to the vet, he could have an infection, like a UTI or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what do you guys recommend I do???

How do I feed my babies and WHAT do i feed them??

Should I continue mixing both.....feeding them JUST dry food or feeding them JUST wet food??

Or do you think I should feed them 2 times wet and 1 time dry...or vice versa?

I feed them 3 times a day bcuz 1)Breakfast 2) Lunch and 3) Dinner

They're going to be adults soon, so I think i'll feed them JUST dry food when they hit the adult age...

Jellow has been having bad diariahha problem... I'm about to feed him some chicken

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So what do you guys recommend I do???

How do I feed my babies and WHAT do i feed them??

Should I continue mixing both.....feeding them JUST dry food or feeding them JUST wet food??

Or do you think I should feed them 2 times wet and 1 time dry...or vice versa?

I feed them 3 times a day bcuz 1)Breakfast 2) Lunch and 3) Dinner

They're going to be adults soon, so I think i'll feed them JUST dry food when they hit the adult age...

Jellow has been having bad diariahha problem... I'm about to feed him some chicken
Did you check out the information on the link I provided? It has a lot of helpful information concerning cat nutrition.

Feeding your cats wet is much better for them than dry, much better.

You can offer them both the dry and the wet, but as I said in my previous post just not mixed in together.

If Jellow is still having diarrhea problems I would would take him to the vet, cats can become dehydrated quickly, and this is not good.

Hope this helps!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry - sometimes we can be confusing and assume others will know what we mean by certain phrases, such as "mixing a wet and dry food diet".

By mixing the diet, we simply mean to feed all wet at a specific mealtime and all dry for another, for example, Bijou and Mika get a dish of wet food in the morning, a measured 1/3 cup of dry food in a separate dish for grazing during the day and then another dish of wet food for their evening meal.

As the above posted noted, dry food should never be moistened as it will go bad quite quickly when that happens.

The best thing you can do for your kitties is feed them a quality wet food but if they still want dry, then do a quality dry and then you can cut back on the quality of the wet if you find you cannot afford quality prices in both the wet and dry. Another good suggestion is to buy a water fountain. Our cats drink much more now that we have the fountain. Also it is a good idea to not keep the food and water in the same area. Our fountain is in our living room and the food area is in the kitchen.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed one meal of dry (morning) and canned at night (supper) - so two meals a day. They nibble on the dry and its gone by lunchtime.

How old are your cats? If over 6 months, they only need 2 meals a day - not three. Especially if they are spayed/neutered.

When you feed adult cats too much, you'll have fat cats in a short time!

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

...How old are your cats? If over 6 months, they only need 2 meals a day - not three...
Actually, cats should have access to several small meals throughout the 24-hour day. (In the "wild", they eat 12-20 times a day.) Kitties who do not eat several times a day run a greater risk of developing urinary crystals/stones. (You can read about that here.

...When you feed adult cats too much, you'll have fat cats in a short time!
Well, actually it's not how much you're feeding, but rather what you're feeding that's more likely to cause obesity. Carbohydrate-laiden foods are the real culprit...hear that from a feline Veterinarian and nutrition expert right here.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Actually, cats should have access to several small meals throughout the 24-hour day. (In the "wild", they eat 12-20 times a day.) Kitties who do not eat several times a day run a greater risk of developing urinary crystals/stones. (You can read about that here.

Well, actually it's not how much you're feeding, but rather what you're feeding that's more likely to cause obesity. Carbohydrate-laiden foods are the real culprit...hear that from a feline Veterinarian and nutrition expert right here.
the first part .. well there is a massive study and debate on that one ... depending on what small wild cat is studied depends on the natural amounts of feeding as most wild cats only catch prey about one in 3-10 trys meaning it is common for them not to eat for a time and then gorge or eat a quarter to half and save the rest

In most cats yup carbs are too blame