R.J. the cat is tugging my heartstrings

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the third week straight, I walk into Petsmart and go toward the cats for adoption and there sits RJ the tabby cat--still.
I feel so bad for him because every time I've seen him in the adoption window, he's been hiding under the fleece mat that he's supposed to be sleeping on. He seems so scared and I can just feel such a sad energy when I stop to talk to him. He is a BIG cat to be 1.5 years old.

I stayed there talking to him for a long time today...then kept glancing at his fact sheet...only $75
--that's not bad...but Spot would kill me...

I was soooooooo close to bringing him home with me but I know I can't do that to Spotty.

I just feel so bad that he's not been adopted out; and I'm afraid for him because he looks so big that I wonder if anyone will take him--all the kittens that have been there over the past few weeks are gone.
I just hate knowing that poor kitty has to live in the little plexiglass cubicle of a pet store day in, day out--you can just see the love in his eyes, behind the timidness he displays.

What to do, what to do...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I you keep going back and every time you go back he's tugging at your heart strings- sweetie i think you know the right answer
I would seriously consider adopting him!

Before you do so though ask yourself a few questions:

Do you have the space
Time do devote to him
Money for all vet care/food/needs
If you rent- are you allowed to have another pet?
Are you willing to make the life long committment to him
Does he have any special needs- are you willing to meet them
Have you read up on the proper ways to introduce him to the other furries you may have? (I'd be happy to help you on this one!)
Will everyone in your home agree with the adoption of another pet

If you can answer yes to all of those- then i would go through with it!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you Spotty would surprise you! You know he misses Ms. Poops a lot.
And you know so many people that love kitties.
If something happened that he and Spotty didn't get along....I'm sure you could find him a loving home. Something is drawing you to this kitty!!
He is calling out to you!!!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And you know what?? His name has the initials of your dad's first name and your momma's middle name!!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know Spot might surprise you. In the past 2 years my cats had to accept losing their sis
Bella
, getting Lucia, then Mario then Pepino, everyone is fine and they all get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmmmm....................must think this one through...............

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would seriouly consider listening to your Mom!!!

Let us know when you go get him

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Psssst! Spooootty......I know you're reading this!!
Talk to your momma and tell her how much you'd love having a new brudder!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright! Y'all are almost convincing me--If I can get some time off work soon to acclimate them to one another, I may consider it.

He is precious....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the great advice on cat intros here, you will be able to find the right answers....a large cat might do well on a leash; at any rate, he will become more social, and therefore, adoptable, and who knows but he may, through you, find some young pre-teen girl who could really use a kitty to help her be successful through those upcoming tumultous teen years, and then college

I say go for it

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hahaha you knew this would happen by posting this thread
. I almost started crying when I read about the poor baby sitting in a cage by himself for so long, nothing I hate more then an animal in cage without a home of their own.

Good luck with making your 'decision'. Keep us all posted!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
good luck with your decision
as they said spot may surprise you and take to this kitten

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe RJ can live mostly in the bathroom for a week or so, while he and Spot get used to each other. In fact... if you brought him home tomorrow night, then this weekend would be just about the right time to start face-to-face introductions...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, you know you want to bring him home. If I was him, I'd be hiding under my mat too! Being stuck in a strange place with people looking at him and passing him by every day...maybe strange kids banging on his cage a few times a day. Believe it or not, he probably recognizes you and you are probably the highlight of his day!

And, like other's have said, Spot may actually surprise you. He would probably LOVE someone to play with. It may be touchy at first but it normally is. Someone has to be in charge (and, it won't be you!). But, I think it's at least worth a shot.

I would talk to the people at Petsmart and see if they would let you take him on a trial basis, as in, if he and Spot don't get along (or at least tolerate each other) after a period of time...I would definitely give it at least a week...if they will take him back and give you a refund. Also, have you interacted with him outside his cage? If not, you need to make sure he is friendly one on one, and not so timid that he is aggressive.

Good luck! I think it would be wonderful if you adopted him, but I can understand your concerns about Spot's reactions. But, most cats are happier with at least one other cat in the house. Especially if they are used to having a playmate.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omg go get him!!

you know you made this thread b/c you really want him and you knew everyone would talk you into it

And I know what you mean about kitties in cages
I volunteer at the humane society and work with the kitties, and of course they have to be in cages.
They have blankets, food/water, litter and toys...but it's still a pretty small space for a kitty. I always feel SOOO bad for them, especially the ones that have been there for a while and haven't been adopted! I take them out and play with them as much as I can, but there are just so many--I try to get to everyone but it's just really hard, and I hate putting them back in their kennels. They are so sweet, I wish I could take them all home.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

For the third week straight, I walk into Petsmart and go toward the cats for adoption and there sits RJ the tabby cat--still.
I feel so bad for him because every time I've seen him in the adoption window, he's been hiding under the fleece mat that he's supposed to be sleeping on. He seems so scared and I can just feel such a sad energy when I stop to talk to him. He is a BIG cat to be 1.5 years old.

I stayed there talking to him for a long time today...then kept glancing at his fact sheet...only $75
--that's not bad...but Spot would kill me...

I was soooooooo close to bringing him home with me but I know I can't do that to Spotty.

I just feel so bad that he's not been adopted out; and I'm afraid for him because he looks so big that I wonder if anyone will take him--all the kittens that have been there over the past few weeks are gone.
I just hate knowing that poor kitty has to live in the little plexiglass cubicle of a pet store day in, day out--you can just see the love in his eyes, behind the timidness he displays.

What to do, what to do...
I really hope you go and get this kitty, from all the post I have read, everybody seems to think the same thing.

This kitty needs you and I think you need him too. You seem to understand why he is so scared, and I really think that you can help him.

Please let us know when you go get him and give him the loving home that he needs.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was the wrong place to come if you were looking for someone to tell you NOT to adopt him

Sounds like he is waiting for someone like you. Good luck with the intros