Coffee Cake...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact is that what I watch and what I read influences what I cook. When I was rereading Lord of The Rings a few years ago I created mushroom dishes that made my husband flee from the kitchen. It took me three weeks to read the whole series, and I used mushrooms in almost every dish for that time period. It got to the point where he cried when I said we were having a portobello shrimp salad.

Recently, I've popped in Mad Men. In one of the episodes some of the housewives were eating a cinnamon crumb coffee cake. I realized I had to make this. It became my mission to track down a recipe from the 60's that would recreate that taste. I found one: Cinnamon Coffee Cake.

Here are some tricks. 1. Beat the egg until smooth. 2. Beat in sugar until smooth. 3. Add butter slowly.

It almost floated off the plate.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tendency to do that too
When I was studying Roman history I started experimenting with food and drink. Conditum Paradoxum became a firm favourite - white wine, honey, dates, bay leaves, and lots of black pepper. Heat gently, skim off the top, strain, and bottle when cooled. It's what you might call an acquired taste.

As is much Roman food - they really went for honey in a big way, and not just in sweet dishes. Honey lentils was another interesting experience. I didn't try making any garum (fermented fish sauce), you need to live in complete rural isolation and have no sense of smell to give that a go. Nam Pla is a fair substitute. Similarly silphium is thought to be extinct, probably the closest substitute is asafoetida. Which is nicknamed 'devil's dung' for a reason. Even in 2 airtight containers wrapped in several plastic bags and placed in a box of bicarb at the back of a cupboard it still filled my kitchen with a smell not unlike burning rubber with a hint of garlic.

The coffee cake sounds much more appealing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have a tendency to do that too
When I was studying Roman history I started experimenting with food and drink. Conditum Paradoxum became a firm favourite - white wine, honey, dates, bay leaves, and lots of black pepper. Heat gently, skim off the top, strain, and bottle when cooled. It's what you might call an acquired taste.

As is much Roman food - they really went for honey in a big way, and not just in sweet dishes. Honey lentils was another interesting experience. I didn't try making any garum (fermented fish sauce), you need to live in complete rural isolation and have no sense of smell to give that a go. Nam Pla is a fair substitute. Similarly silphium is thought to be extinct, probably the closest substitute is asafoetida. Which is nicknamed 'devil's dung' for a reason. Even in 2 airtight containers wrapped in several plastic bags and placed in a box of bicarb at the back of a cupboard it still filled my kitchen with a smell not unlike burning rubber with a hint of garlic.

The coffee cake sounds much more appealing!
I've taken six years of Latin, so I know what you mean. I've also stuffed dates with feta cheese and drizzled honey and olive oil on top of them. It was very yummy.

As for the fermented fish, I just sort of let that go. I've never felt the need to visit a vomitorium, yet I have the distinct impression that would send me there in a flash. When we were doing our Roman Meals we did smoked fish. It wasn't time appropriate, but it was good to eat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've taken six years of Latin, so I know what you mean. I've also stuffed dates with feta cheese and drizzled honey and olive oil on top of them. It was very yummy.

As for the fermented fish, I just sort of let that go. I've never felt the need to visit a vomitorium, yet I have the distinct impression that would send me there in a flash. When we were doing our Roman Meals we did smoked fish. It wasn't time appropriate, but it was good to eat.
There were some good experiences too. Fleshy fish (like shark or dogfish) rolled in ground cumin and fresh chopped mint was delicious. I didn't have an outdoor area to barbecue, so I pan fried instead and it was fantastic, grilled would work too. Also baked sweet cheesecakes made with curd cheese and honey were very yummy

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That cake sounds scrumptious!

I also have to admit that I can become obsessed by a food item from a book or movie! I remember years ago watching a movie with Audrey Hepburn in it. She was eating strawberries and pickles. It was midnight but I had such a craving that I went to 7-11 and bought frozen strawberries and a jar of pickles. It was surprisingly good
And I admit that while I love mushrooms, I did over indulge in mushrooms when reading and watching the LoTR movies too.