How do I litterbox-train my girl?

vivienne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have just gotten the sweetest, most adorable girl possible, Anya. The big problem is that because Anya is a year and a half old and had never been indoors untill I got her, I am having trouble getting her to use her litterbox consistantly, I am so sure that the problem is she has never used one up untill now.

So how do I get Anya to use her box, not the carpet? It is a bit of a challenge now that she is an adult.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of tricks, but first of all, be sure she knows where the box is. You may have to have several boxes, just to help her overcome the convenience of the carpet.

You will need a litter that she really likes. It has to feel good on her feet, so avoid any litter with large, hard pieces. And you may have to add some dirt from outside to the litter, just to make it smell right.

Also, there is a litter called "Cat Attract" that might help.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vivienne

It is a bit of a challenge now that she is an adult.
Actually it isn't. You need the right cat litter (one that is similar to outside soil she is used to), location of the box (easy access) and a good enzyme cleanser to remove all traces of odor for your soiled carpet.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Attract litter works like a charm.
You also have to thoroughly clean any areas that she urinated on with a good cleaner. I like Petastic, Urine Off(it dissolves pheromones) and some homemade stuff that I use first. Put some boxes in the spots that she favored after cleaning them. I put foil down on the other areas and they avoid a second go around even more.

You can also use kitten attract that has the consistency of sand. Only thing is that it is hard to find. You may have to order it.