I have a houseguest!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at my parent's house today, and guess what wandered into their garage...an orange and white kitten.

I'm sure she's somebody's pet. I think it's a female, but I'm not positive. She's very friendly and trusting. She purrs like crazy when you hold her. We asked around the neighborhood, but nobody knew anything about where she came from. We couldn't keep her at my parents because their male cat goes NUTS if there's another cat anywhere in the vicinity. (I'm surprised he didn't go crazy with her in the garage.) Of course I couldn't just leave her there on her won, so I called DH and he said she could stay with us for one week and one week ONLY.

So she's here with me in the guest room. She briefly met Tailer and Forest on her way in and there was some hissing, but they all seem oblivious to each other now. She's adorable, and a complete sweetie. She's sitting next to me on the computer desk purring her little heart out.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow and see if she's microchipped. Hopefully she is so we can get her back to her proper people. If not, I'll start calling local vets and shelters and see if anyone's missing her. If I can't find her people or talk DH into keeping her by the end of the week, I can at least get her into a good no-kill shelter. She's such a doll she wouldn't be there long.

Does anyone have any other ideas or resources on how to find her people?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
why not keep her? y'all are down to 2 cats, now that Harvey is over the
bridge...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

why not keep her? y'all are down to 2 cats, now that Harvey is over the
bridge...
I'd love to, but DH says that two is our new limit.
He's got a week to fall in love with her. (Shouldn't be too hard...it only took me about two minutes.) Besides, I could use another female in the house.

I really do think, though, that she may have people looking for her. She's really friendly and in really good shape so I don't think she's been on her own too long.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

I really do think, though, that she may have people looking for her. She's really friendly and in really good shape so I don't think she's been on her own too long.
You would be surprised. Take a look at Bea....no one came looking for her. We've had 2 stray cats claimed in 1.5 years. A lot of kittens end up strays when they are 3-4 months old as they aren't "cute" anymore.

I'm sending she has a home looking for her, or with you.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make a "Found" report at all the local shelters, and think of the places you're most likely to go if you lost a cat, and post something there.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we went to the vet this morning to scan for a microchip. We didn't find a microchip, but we did find out that she's a he. (What is it about me and these orange boys?) I'm going to start calling vets in the area to see if anyone's looking for him. But I have a little less hope...our vet's office told me that they're seeing a whole lot of dumped kittens just now.

DH broke down and met him this morning. I think his resolve is already starting to crumble a bit. He went from saying "There's no way this cat is staying" to "I don't want another cat". When I left he was working on the computer in the room where the kitten is, and letting the kitten play with his toes. And it's only the first day.

Here are a few pics of our guest:

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
....Oh My poor of her....
how can exist people who abandon those lovely girl...
for DH change of Mind!...
She´s a Doll!...
....Believe my friend If I live close to you, I pick her!...

look those Eyes!....

for you can find a place for her or "Take her"...

meoww88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Well we went to the vet this morning to scan for a microchip. We didn't find a microchip, but we did find out that she's a he. (What is it about me and these orange boys?) I'm going to start calling vets in the area to see if anyone's looking for him. But I have a little less hope...our vet's office told me that they're seeing a whole lot of dumped kittens just now.

DH broke down and met him this morning. I think his resolve is already starting to crumble a bit. He went from saying "There's no way this cat is staying" to "I don't want another cat". When I left he was working on the computer in the room where the kitten is, and letting the kitten play with his toes. And it's only the first day.

Here are a few pics of our guest:
He is gorgeous btw

I would just keep an eye out for adds in shop windows and if there is no one then I would seriously think about keeping him, but if you can't there are always shelters who would help find a loving home for him.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We may have found his home!!

DH just called after talking to my dad. He had called the police department and one of their neighbors a few blocks down reported a cat missing last night who has a description very similar to our guests. The police were going to contact them with our contact information, so we're just waiting to hear from them.

I think DH is actually a little disappointed. He commented that he told my dad to tell them that we hadn't seen any cat.
He was just kidding, of course, but this might help make it easier to talk him into a new kitty of our own.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that dreamy little face!
I'm not sure whether to hope these are his people or not!

It's nice that your DH is such a mush.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's a very handsome fellow. Sending lots of for him -- either that you HAVE found his humans, or that you ARE his humans
-- whichever you want it to be.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears that we have found his humans. I'm going to take him back home tonight.

Actually I'm happy for his sake, and it restores my faith in humanity a bit that this little angel wasn't dumped. He's just such a little doll it was heartbreaking to believe that anyone would do that. (I know, I know...they do...I have two lovely cats at home who were tossed out like garbage as kittens to prove it.)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how he got out. Surely they aren't letting him out...?

And yes, it makes me sick that people toss kittens away like trash... that's how we ended up with St. John, our little orange boy -- and it's just beyond comprehension how anyone could not adore this sweet, playful, beautiful cat!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It appears that we have found his humans. I'm going to take him back home tonight.
....I wished you keep him Tari,....
that would be super terrific!...

I hope his human owners learn the lesson and be more CARE with him or her!....

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dropped him off last night. His name is Romeo. His people are actually really great and responsible. They just adopted him from animal control a few weeks ago, so they haven't had a chance to get him neutered yet. That's definitely in the works and they're going to look into having him microchipped, too.

He got out on Saturday evening when they had some people over for dinner. They ate out on their patio and at some point Romeo must have slipped out the door. He's never even tried to get out before, but he must have been curious or just wanted to be outside where the people were. They searched all over for him on Saturday night, but couldn't find him. They were sick with worry about him. They thought they might not see him again and were just praying that some nice person took him in and that he wasn't hurt or killed. They were thrilled to have him back. Even their two dogs were so excited they could hardly contain themselves.

After such a scare, they'll defintely be keeping a closer eye on him. But it can happen to anyone...sometimes these guys just get out despite our best efforts. Even Tailer got out once.

I think DH is really disappointed, though. He decided to "work from home" yesterday. He said it was to work on a project, but I know it was to keep an eye on Romeo. Maybe it'll be easier to talk him into a third cat.