Pain meds

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH got hydrocodone for his kidney stone and I got to thinking. Most narcotic type meds make people tired but DH and I are the opposite. We get hyper.
I wonder what would cause that. Do anyone else get hyper on pain meds?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made the mistake of taking the night time Nyquil one time and my eyes flung themselves open and I got all this energy and couldn't sleep the whole night. So, yes, I know what you mean.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I have the same problem.

Last year when I smashed my finger the emergency room doc gave me some vicodan and a prescription and I mentioned to him that I thought this was supposed to make one drowsy and it wired me instead.

He called it the "paradox effect" as it does relieve the pain but doesn't make one drowsy. He advised to take half the pill instead of the whole one. I did this and I didn't get wired up and was able to sleep-well as best as possible with a smashed/stitched finger.
You might want to try half a pill (they last longer that way!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Actually I have the same problem.

Last year when I smashed my finger the emergency room doc gave me some vicodan and a prescription and I mentioned to him that I thought this was supposed to make one drowsy and it wired me instead.

He called it the "paradox effect" as it does relieve the pain but doesn't make one drowsy. He advised to take half the pill instead of the whole one. I did this and I didn't get wired up and was able to sleep-well as best as possible with a smashed/stitched finger.
You might want to try half a pill (they last longer that way!!)
Shoot I still get hyper with a half.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hydrocodone is sold as Vicodin and other names.

For Vicodin, the common side effects may include (quoting the web) dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, sedation, vomiting, and constipation.

LESS COMMON SIDE EFFECTS: allergic reactions, blood disorders, mood changes, mental cloudiness, anxiety, lethargy, urine retention, ureteral spasm, irregular breathing, respiratory depression, and skin rash.

I only took Vicodin a few times as prescribed and I always stopped taking it before the prescription ran out. That was because I had no more pain and I always felt dizzy after taking it. It was as if my body had just migrated to somewhere other than where it should be. ( I think that that would be mental cloudiness). All I ever wanted to do was sleep.

Might want to check with the doctor.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doc has me on Hydrocodone for my back pain, but it makes me drowsy - not hyper. But all meds affect people differently.

The muscle relaxers are what really knocks me on my butt, so I avoid taking them during the daytime.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vicodin also keeps me awake unless I take a lot of it. I took it for about 2 weeks after my thumb surgery earlier this year. The doc gave me 5mg tablets. I had another prescription of 7.5mg. The pain was so bad that I doubled the 7.5 dose and was then able to sleep (they cut my nail off and yes it felt like someone took a hammer to my thumb). Of course I also was fighting an infection so that sapped my energy. Once the infection started to clear up, I had trouble sleeping again so dropped the vicodin.

Come to think of it, I had surgery at a hospital many years ago. The nurse came in and gave me the pre-surgery shot which was supposed to knock me out. 45 minutes later I had to use the bathroom so got out of bed and walked over to it. On my way out the nurse was walking into the room. Her eyes got wide, she asked if they had given me a shot (yes), she ran across the room, grabbed me and held me up while walking me back to the bed. I asked her why she did that and she told me that I should have been passed out by then. I told her I didn't even feel it. She put the rails up on the bed so I wouldn't fall out of it. I just laughed.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had that problem a bit myself. I always thought of it as my body being so happy to be free of the pain, it doesn't want to go to sleep, but wants to stay awake to savor the moment.

Caffeine also makes me sleepy...

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a shoulder manipulation in June for my frozen shoulder. They put you under and move the shoulder again to rip all of the adhesions. Lots of pops and crackles as they break apart. I had it done to the other shoulder 7 years ago and it was awesome. This time, I woke up to pain in my shoulder and my elbow - couldn't even move it all. They gave my 5mg of IV Morphine - still hurt. After another 5 mg of IV Morphine, I walked out of the surgery center and straight to physical therapy. I never did get sleepy.
However, I can take half a vicodin and be asleep in 30 minutes.
Strange.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Codeine triggers panic attacks for me... and the one time I took a Percodan, I had what I guess must have been a "bad trip" -- chills and sweats, waking nightmares, feelings of things crawling all over me... brrrrrrr! Never again!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I've always had that problem a bit myself. I always thought of it as my body being so happy to be free of the pain, it doesn't want to go to sleep, but wants to stay awake to savor the moment.

Caffeine also makes me sleepy...
that's unusual... do you have ADHD? 'cause uppers [including caffeine] will make people w/ADHD calmer. that's one of the signs we watch for as teachers when a child is on Ritalin for ADHD - if they get sleepy, the dose is usually too high for them.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Vicodan also makes me hyper. I thought I was just weird!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that's unusual... do you have ADHD? 'cause uppers [including caffeine] will make people w/ADHD calmer. that's one of the signs we watch for as teachers when a child is on Ritalin for ADHD - if they get sleepy, the dose is usually too high for them.
DH has either ADD or ADHD. Not sure if I do or not, I get bored and sidetracked easily, are those symptoms? Oh yeah, I always have to fiddle with something too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tramadol tends to make me talk a lot. Other pain meds haven't done anything other then cause dry mouth and worsen my dry eye.

Unfortunately the tramadol stopped doing much of anything for bad pain too..

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

I know - isn't that weird???? I never THOUGHT I had ADHD...I was a very good student, and could concentrate so thoroughly on a book that I would need physical intervention to get through to me (if the teacher said, "put up your books" I never heard her - she would have to touch me.) And coffee always made me sleepy - I always assumed it was the "warmness" of coffee that made me feel relaxed.

My daughter is the same way - caffeine makes her sleepy, and codeine makes her hyper.

Oh, and back "then" there wasn't ADHD or ADD or anything like that. That I know of.

The human body and mind are very interesting, are they not?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the same with Oxycodone/Percocet - the pain after my heart surgery was worst at night, but if I took an oxycodone I would be lying awake buzzed, and unable to sleep. So DH knew that if I took it, I was desperate and in a huge amount of pain!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was given Vicodin.....I became an argumental beligerent person. I decked my daddy.
I was told I acted like an "angry drunk".

They then said "no more pain meds for Natty".