Ugh! I'm so not an outdoor-type person!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna was out of wet food so I had to walk to Safeway today to buy some more. It's 9 blocks each way.

It's a lovely day out. Blue sky. Slight breeze. Not too hot. But I wasn't enjoying the walk. I came to realize that while I love to walk on the treadmill, I absolutely hate walking outdoors!!
I don't even like sitting outside for more than a few minutes, and only if it's shady.

I don't know if it's just one thing, or a combination of things, but I was trying to think of some things that I liked about being outside and I couldn't think of a single one.

I hate the sun beating down on me;

I hate the insects;

I hate that when I need to sit and rest I'm completely and utterly bored to death with nothing to do but "sit" and wait. At home if I need a rest break, I can watch TV, use the computer, do laundry/dishes, clean etc.

I don't mind short walks such as going to the store across the street, walking to a car, taking out my garbage, but beyond that...

I could be completely happy spending the rest of my life indoors with walkways connecting me to the places I need to go. So long as I have the ability to open up my windows to allow fresh air and a breeze into my home, I'm perfectly happy being inside.

I don't have a social phobia because I don't mind and sometimes even like being around people for a limited period of time. But I'd rather be around people in an indoor setting. And I know it's not the walking because we have sky walks downtown that stretch for many blocks and I walk through those for several blocks a few times a month and I enjoy those walks. It's the walking outside that I don't like.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm your direct opposite then.
I LOVE being outside. I will often sit on my front porch and read, or just sit there and watch the birds or neighborhood activity. Sometimes I'll just go out and walk around the yard.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting.

Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I'm your direct opposite then.
I LOVE being outside. I will often sit on my front porch and read, or just sit there and watch the birds or neighborhood activity. Sometimes I'll just go out and walk around the yard.
Me too, weekends are spent hiking or rock climbing often. I can't imagine life without being outdoors, it would destroy my spirit. I walk outside daily and
it also bike ride several times per week. The breeze, the real sun, the smells, the scenery, the sky, the plants, and so on. I do live were the yards and neighborhoods have acres so that is nicer than a busy city block probably. But even then as long as I was safe I would probably like to walk outside to see what I could see, feel real sun, smell the smells, feel the outdoors, see the gorgeous sky and clouds, and all of that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm maybe you need a puppy dog to walk so you have something to have fun with on your walk

I love outdoors, but don't like to walk around if its too hot with the sun beating down. I don't tan and don't want to tan

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just the opposite, too -- ever since it got too hot to walk outside, I've been bored silly on the treadmill! So much so that I'm not walking as much as I should.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't walk on a treadmill - either it's my health or my brain can't handle the conflicting message of moving but not moving, so it makes me incredibly dizzy.

I love being outside. There's always something to do even when there's nothing. As a child I spent most of my time outside catching lizards, toads, and insects.
But unfortunately my health doesn't let me out much, I'm heat intolerant and can't really go on long walks even when it's cooler.
I really miss that. If you can get out and do stuff never take it for granted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As a child I spent most of my time outside catching lizards, toads, and insects.
As a kid I was outside lots too. But as I grew older I just started to prefer being indoors.

I've never liked camping! I've been camping in a tent 3 times and hated it. I don't even like staying in a camp ground cottage or trailor. Before my best friend went off long distance trucking with her husband, I used to go out to their camping area, but if I ended up staying the night I booked a room in town in the hotel where there were real beds and hot and cold running water. And I've never liked eating outside either. When at their camp ground I would take my plate and eat inside their trailor.

Even as a kid I hated eating outside because of the flies and ants.

And there is no way in heck I'd ever sit on the grass either, not even on a blanket. Give me a lawn chair!

I have a friend who keeps inviting me out to their cabin out in the middle of no where. They do have hot and cold running water and electricity. But I don't want to go because I hate being out in the woods (flies, ants, wood ticks, poison ivy etc). She keeps asking and at times gets downright pushy about it. I feel like yelling "What part of NO do you not understand!" I'm a real city girl. I live in the heart of downtown and absolutely love it. Farms and country and cottage life doesn't interest me in the least. I don't mind going for a day visit, or maybe even over night, but I can't get back to the city fast enough.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cities make me uncomfortable. I've always lived in smaller towns - the type of towns were people still leave their houses unlocked, let their kids play outside unwatched, and will leave their cars unlocked with the keys in it and running. Currently I live outside of town but do have some neighbors.

The house we just put in a contract for has a very nice wooden covered back patio. If we get the place I want to screen it in so I can spend the cooler evenings out there. The perfect place to relax with a book!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with you on the fact that I don't like the great outdoors. I like the great indoors.
I take my dogs for walks, play fetch with them, etc....but I don't think I enjoy the fact that I'm doing it outside.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well coming from someone who works outdoors for a living.......
I addition to my clients landscapes I have extensive gardens of my own and probably spend more time outside than inside. If I had a phone cord long enough for my laptop to get to my patio I would be outside on the computer than inside on the sofa.
We will even bring the small kitchen tv to watch outside on the patio!! Its nice that the temps are getting cooler esp in the evening to enjoy the outside more.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am both an indoor and an outdoor person. I love being outside when the weather is temperate. I love to be in the country but I love cities, too. I grew up walking everywhere, but where I live in the Bay Area, it is pretty much impossible to walk from place to place.

I enjoy being out in nature but I do not camp. I got a tee shirt from one of our trips to Yosemite that said, "My idea of camping at Yosemite is staying at the Awhannee."

I find that I am spending more time indoors due to the internet and when it is summer.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love being outdoors! We go back to my parents place almost every other weekend to go camping
Although this kind of camping invovles a full sized camper with bedrooms, full kitchen, bathroom and AC/heat & cable

But still, its full of walking, hiking, being outdoors and bon fires.

We are moving within the year and are anticipating getting our very first dog so we can spend more time outdoors and around the lakes

I agree with you on the heat though, I hate being outside when its too hot and humid, I love being outside when its fall type weather, sweatshirt weater! Thats coming soon enough though

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Well coming from someone who works outdoors for a living.......
I addition to my clients landscapes I have extensive gardens of my own and probably spend more time outside than inside. If I had a phone cord long enough for my laptop to get to my patio I would be outside on the computer than inside on the sofa.
We will even bring the small kitchen tv to watch outside on the patio!! Its nice that the temps are getting cooler esp in the evening to enjoy the outside more.
y'know, if you get a wireless router, you can use the laptop outside - as long as you don't get too far away!

that said - i'm not much for outdoors, either. altho fall can be ok.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except for when it is really hot or humid I like to be outside...I live about a block from the Cross Canada Fitness Trail and I enjoy taking walks along it particularly in the spring and fall.

The portion of the trail where I live runs along the shore of Georgian Bay so the scenery is fantastic..it generally very quiet, lots of birds to watch and there are tons of rest areas where you can just sit and vegetate for a while..
It's very relaxing..

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go outside during the day unless I absolutely have to. I have extreme photosensitivity, and cannot spend much time in the sun, or I look like I rusted. I love night time motorcycle rides and going to the beach, though. I love Autumn and Winter when I can wear long sleeves and leathers without being hot.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've never liked camping!

I booked a room in town in the hotel where there were real beds and hot and cold running water.

Even as a kid I hated eating outside because of the flies and ants.

And there is no way in heck I'd ever sit on the grass either, not even on a blanket. Give me a lawn chair!
That's definitely me!
I just love modern conveniences, and hate it if I have to go without!

But I DO enjoy going for walks outside; that is, till my back got so bad and I couldn't anymore, and after I moved to Texas, where it's too hot to want to go walking outside. When I used to live in Wisconsin I'd go walking all the time: I lost quite a bit of weight at one point due to all the exercise I was getting.

I do love fresh air and travelling to see new places, a day on the beach, a drive through the mountains or desert, and I love living in the country as opposed to the city. I guess I'm a 'city' girl who loves living in the country - as long as I have my modern conveniences!.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I prefer the outdoors to indoors. In the summer when I go up to my parent's cabin, I prefer to sleep outside in a tent rather than in the cabin. It's not that I don't like the cabin, It's just that I like the outdoors. Almost everything I like most has something to do with the outdoors. Even one of my favorite TV shows is Survivorman with Les Stroud.