Can black cats have orange and grey kittens?

xourtney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

The kitties in my profile are orphans and I'm wondering about their breed.
The feral cats in my area are all black or black with brown. Can the babies I have be related to them? I haven't seen any that even remotely look like them.

Thanks!

(I ask because the people in my neighborhood are terrible about fixing their pets. I see this white, long haired cat outside all the time and she is CRAZY in heat)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xourtney

Hello!

The kitties in my profile are orphans and I'm wondering about their breed.
The feral cats in my area are all black or black with brown. Can the babies I have be related to them? I haven't seen any that even remotely look like them.

Thanks!

(I ask because the people in my neighborhood are terrible about fixing their pets. I see this white, long haired cat outside all the time and she is CRAZY in heat)
gray, yes - it's the dilute version of black. orange... i think either dad has to be orange, or mom has to be orange or tortie...
look here: Messy Beast colors & patterns
Messy Beast tricolors
Messy Beast tabbies

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its likely that the mom of these kittens is either a calico or a tortie. If you've never seen any calicos (white with black/red patches) then mom is a tortie - same thing but without the white.

Blue is the dilute version of black, and both parents have to show it or carry it. Depending on if the red is a male or female:

Tortie/Calico mom X Black/Blue dad - Red males, Black/Blue males, Black/Blue females, or Tortie females.

Tortie mom X Red dad - Red or Black/Blue males, Red/Tortie females

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xourtney

I'm wondering about their breed.
I think you might be confusing breed with colour
They are just domestics, of either short, medium or long hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xourtney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the help. I know very, very little about cats.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
White in cats is like paint, it masks whatever color is underneath it. So while that white cat in your area looks just white, she could really be any color under the sun.

Orange is also tricky. As said in the posts above, one of the parents has to have some orange to produce orange kittens. However, there have been cases where a black cat might be a tortie or a brown tabby a brown patched tabby. The red part is just too small to see, and all it takes is one red hair to make them a tortie or a patched tabby.

So in short, the answer to your question is "yes." Apparently black cats CAN still produce red kittens even though they don't have much visible red.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a case of a "black" rex female that was shown to Grand Championship as a black cat. When she was bred to another black male, she produced a TORTIE!

They were shocked, but knew that their black female had to be a tortie; so after looking the cat over again and again from ears to tip of tail/toe, they finally discovered a very tiny spot of red on on foot. No one ever noticed it, owner, judges....etc.

The cat had to be re-registered as a tortie in order for the pedigree to be correct. Unfortunately she had to give up the title too (Grand) and really could not compete as a tortie against other torties...but at least she produced quality kittens