101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I was at the vet the other day I was reading a brochure put out by the ASPCA called 101 things you didn't know could harm your pet. I don't know if there is a way to maybe make this a Sticky but there are a lot of things that are harmful that I wasn't aware of so I wanted to share it. Here it is.

101 Things You Didn't Know Could Harm Your Pet

Make your home a safer place for your pets by keeping them away from the following hazardous household items, plants, foods, objects, and trouble areas. If you think your pet has been exposed to a poisonous substance, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can help.

Call 1-888-426-4435, and consult with your veterinarian for follow-up care. It may save your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s life.

HAZARDS IN THE HOME

HOUSEHOLD ITEMS

1. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)
2. Acetaminophen
3. Cold and flu medications
4. Antidepressants
5. Vitamins
6. Home insect products
7. Rat and mouse bait
8. Bleach
9. Diet pills
10. Disinfectants
11. Fabric softener
12. Lead
13. Lighter fluid
14. Mothballs
15. Anti-cancer drugs
16. Solvents (paint thinners, etc.)
17. Flea and tick products
18. Drain cleaners
19. Liquid potpourri
20. Slug and snail bait
21. Oven cleaner sprays
22. Lime/scale remover
23. Fly bait
24. Detergents
25. Tobacco products

PLANTS

Do you have any of these plants in or around your home? If so, make sure
theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re in places where your pets canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t reach them, or consider getting rid of them altogether.

26. Common Plants
Aloe
Amaryllis
Andromeda Japonica
Asian Lily
Asparagus Fern
Australian Nut
Autumn Crocus
Azalea
Belladonna
Bird of Paradise
Bittersweet (American and
European)
Black Locust
Branching Ivy
Buckeye
Buddhist Pine
Caladium
Calla Lily
Castor Bean
Ceriman
Clematis
Cordatum
Corn Plant
Cycads
Cyclamen
Daffodil
Daylily
Devilâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Ivy
Dieffenbachia
Dumbcane
Easter Lily
Elephant Ears
Emerald Fern
English Ivy
Eucalyptus
Ferns
Fiddle-leaf Philodendron
Gold Dust Dracaena
Florida Beauty
Foxglove
Glacier Ivy
Gladiolas
Golden Pothos
Heavenly Bamboo
Honeysuckle
Hurricane Plant
Hyacinth
Hydrangea
Iris
Jerusalem Cherry
Jimson Weed
Kalanchoe
Lantana
Lilies (all Lilium species)
Lily of the Valley
Lupine
Marble Queen
Morning Glory
Mother-in-Law
Mountain Laurel
Narcissus
Needlepoint Ivy
Nephthysis
Nightshade
Oleander
Panda
Peace Lily
Philodendron
Poison Hemlock
Precatory Bean (rosary pea)
Privet
Red Emerald
Rhododendron
Ribbon Plant
Sago Palm
Satin Pothos
Scheffl era
Striped Dracaena
Sweetheart Ivy
Tulip
Water Hemlock
Wisteria
Yew
Yucca

HARMFUL FOODS
You should never let your dogs or cats eat any of these foods.
Be sure to store them where your pets canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t find them.

27. Avocados
28. Chocolate (all forms)
29. Coffee (all forms)
30. Onions & onion powder
31. Garlic
32. Grapes
33. Raisins
34. Macadamia nuts
35. Alcoholic beverages
36. Moldy/spoiled foods
37. Salt
38. Fatty foods
39. Gum, candies, or other foods sweetened with Xylitol
40. Tea leaves
41. Raw yeast dough

OBJECTS

These household objects can cause puncture wounds, choking, or internal organ damage to your pets. Make sure they arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t left lying around.

42. Balls (Especifically balls that are small or have a smooth outer coating)
43. Batteries
44. Bread twist ties
45. Buttons
46. Coins
47. Cotton swabs
48. Glass
49. Hair pins
50. Jewelry
51. Nylons
52. Paper clips
53. Plastic wrap
54. Socks
55. Rubber-bands
56. Sharp objects (knives, razors, scissors, nails, needles, etc.)
57. String, yarn, or dental floss
58. Towels
59. Wax

TROUBLE AREAS

Dogs and cats are more likely to be injured in these areas of your home. Keep your pets away from these places or watch them closely when theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re near them if you can.

60. Balconies - Tall balconies without safety railings, or railings spaced too far apart, can lead to a dangerous fall.

61. Bathtubs or sinks - Small pets can drown in full bathtubs or sinks.

62. Doors and windows - Dogs and cats can run away if they find an open door or window. They can also get seriously injured if they run across a busy road. Windows should have screens to prevent cats or other pets from falling out.

63. Electrical cords - Your pets can be electrocuted if they bite or chew on electrical cords that are plugged in.

64. Fireplace - Your pets can be burned by the flame or get sick if they eat the ashes.

65. Toilets - Toilet water is not healthy for pets to drink; always remember to close the lid. Make sure you leave plenty of clean, fresh water for your pets if you must leave them home alone.

66. Washer and Dryer - Your pets can crawl into a washer or dryer without your knowledge; close the doors to these appliances when youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re not using them.

OUTSIDE THE HOME

Make sure your pets are safe as they enjoy the outdoors by keeping them away from these potential dangers.

OUTSIDE
67. Algae* - Can be found in ponds or other bodies of water; certain forms can be toxic.

68. Antifreeze/Coolant* - Some types of antifreeze or coolant products contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts.

69. Fire pit/Grill - Flames can result in serious burns and ashes can cause illness if ingested.

70. Fences or gates - Your pets can run away if they find openings in damaged fences or gates. They can also get hurt or strangled if they get stuck.

71. Deck lattice - Your dogs or cats can get stuck in the openings under your deck and possibly be strangled.

72. De-icing salts - Some formulations may contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts. Look for “pet-friendly†de-icing salts.

73. Compost (particularly if moldy)

74. Gasoline*

75. Oil*

76. Pesticides*

77. Cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer*

78. Swimming pools and hot tubs - Never leave your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can swim.

79. Alcohol - Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should NEVER be given to them during the holidays or any other time.

*All contain chemicals that may cause serious illness depending on the circumstances of exposure.

HOLIDAY HAZARDS

Help your pets enjoy the holidays safely by keeping them away from potential problems on these special days.

VALENTINEâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]S DAY
80. Flowers and candy - Many types of flowers and plants found in bouquets are harmful to dogs and cats if they are ingested (see our list of hazardous plants). Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors and seizures, and, in severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal.

EASTER
81. Fake grass - This colorful “grass†may look appetizing to your pets, but it could cause them to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested.

82. Small toys and other plastic items - If swallowed, small toys and plastic Easter eggs can cause your pet to choke or even damage their intestinal tracts.

4th OF JULY
83. Fireworks - Fireworks can scare your pets making them run off, or cause serious
injuries if detonated near them. Many formulations are also toxic if ingested.

HALLOWEEN
84. Repeatedly opening doors to greet trick-or-treaters can increase the chances of your pets running out. Keep an eye on their whereabouts at all times. If feasible, keep cats in a secure area or closed room when opening doors.
85. Candles - Pets are naturally curious, and may be attracted to the bright lights of the flame in dark areas. Dogs and cats could either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.
86. Xylitol - Candy or gum sweetened with Xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from your pet.

87. All forms of chocolate can be harmful to your pet, potentially resulting in poisoning or even pancreatic inflammation from the high fat content.

THANKSGIVING
88. Bones - Turkey, chicken, and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.

89. Hot containers - Your dog or cat will most likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over and get burned.

CHRISTMAS
90. Holiday plants - Christmas rose, Holly, Lilies and Mistletoe are all toxic to dogs and cats.

91. Ribbons - It may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your petâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s neck may cause them to choke.

92. Bubbling lights - Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.

93. Fire salts - Contain chemicals that could be harmful to pets.

94. Angel hair (spun glass) - Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts.

95. Christmas tree water - Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested.

96. Decoration hooks - Can cause blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.

97. Styrofoam - Can cause your pets to choke if swallowed.

98. Ornaments - These can look like toys to cats and dogs, but they can cause serious injury, especially if your pets break or swallow them.

99. Tinsel - Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.

NEW YEARâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]S
100. Balloons and Confetti - These fun New Yearâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s party decorations can cause your pets to choke or obstruct their intestines if ingested. Keep an eye on your pets when theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re around these items or move them to an area that is not decorated.

101. Loud noises - New Yearâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pets in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music, and other loud sounds that may startle them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MODS can we sticky this .. IT is extremely informative..

NOTE you can ALSO call YOUR state posion control number or local pet er s number usually without cost

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why are avocadoess bad? Our kitties love avocado, and there's Avoderm brand food which contains avocado...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmc32879

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that was one that surprised me too. Apparently avocados contain a toxic principle known as persin. The Guatemalan variety, which is the most common variety found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. You can fine out more if you do a web search.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avocado pits, like a lot of hard fruit seeds and pits, contain toxic compounds - in the case of avocadoes the main culprit is persin. Because the flesh of the avocado is fatty, oils containing the toxin can easily leach out of the pit into the flesh. They are most toxic to birds, just a small amount can be fatal within minutes, but other animals have also shown sensitivity to avocadoes.

berry punch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Berry Punch's husband.

I was reading an article that debunked the notion that garlic (in small quantities) is harmful to cats and dogs. Apparently, the researchers who had notified the public to the contrary had tested its effects using relatively extreme quantities. Using it as a limited ingredient in pet foods has no ill effect at all. In fact, I know of a very good natural dog biscuit brand that uses it to flavour their treats.

Should you allow your animal to scarf down garlic cloves by the handful? Of course not. But I'd imagine there are few if any cats that would attempt such a thing, anyway. (Dogs might be a different story.)

Chocolate, on the other hand, is to be stayed away from entirely. My problem is that this list doesn't elaborate on any of the items it includes. Should we be alarmist about our animals ingesting chocolate? Quite possibly. Fatty foods? Well, how fatty is fatty? Fatty foods should probably be avoided by some of us cat owners.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Socks are on that list - I have been wondering for days how socks could be dangerous. Adult socks are too big to be swallowed and I wonder what possible scenario involving socks could be dangerous. Baby socks perhaps, but not UK adult size 6-8 socks.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey anybody, what about those rings that come with the gallon milk jugs (right under tha cap)? My cat Jake LOVES those things.....but I always wonder if its possible he could choke on them. Opinions anyone?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he could but every cat I have ever owned loves them ... and the RB were in middle to late teens and didnt pass from that

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About the first section of the list about cleaning products etc. is anyone really stupid enough to leave those where their pet is likely to eat them? I knew chocolate was poisonous for cats but i didn't know about the others, not that my cat has ever really been interested in any human food other than meat. We always keep our cats away from trick or treaters cos of the horror stories you get about them and we always make sure they are in on halloween and firework night. Frank will hide behind the sofa on firework night but Max loves to watch with me from the window.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by roobear

About the first section of the list about cleaning products etc. is anyone really stupid enough to leave those where their pet is likely to eat them? I knew chocolate was poisonous for cats but i didn't know about the others, not that my cat has ever really been interested in any human food other than meat. We always keep our cats away from trick or treaters cos of the horror stories you get about them and we always make sure they are in on halloween and firework night. Frank will hide behind the sofa on firework night but Max loves to watch with me from the window.
Yes many folks are not aware that chemicals can hurt them or their pets

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrbradstewart

Capsaicin is also very, very harmful to kitties, and cats alike.
this is a pepper based arthritis med ... for those who dont know...

what part of it is harmful???

catlover603

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. I printed a copy and will keep it handy. Some of the items on the list did surprise me, like socks and balls. My cats love playing with those. They have ball toys designed for cats.

All the best,

Claudia

magicchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was a little worried about hanging ornaments on our Christmas tree since we have 2 cats now. But, then I remembered, majority of my ornaments are plastic, and my tree is artificial, so I can spray that cat repellant on it to keep them away from it.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Nora is VERY attracted to coffee. She just loves the smell of it and comes running whenever we have it. She has knocked over a few cups right in front of us. We never let her drink any of it though.

I have hear a lot of stories of dogs eating socks and getting intestinal blockage, and it looks like the list was made for cats and dogs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I got this from my Lucky's insurance newsletter - I thought it was surprising... Especially Grapes, raisins and macadamia nuts...

10 Toxic Foods for Pets

Posted by Pets Best on 12/1/2008 in Articles from Newsletters

10 Potentially Deadly Foods

Secret killers: foods that are tasty for you may be deadly for pets.
This list does not include all of the foods that can harm pets, but does include some of the most common (and surprising!) dangers that could be lurking in your home.

Chocolate
Chocolate toxicity is one of the most common causes of pet poisoning during the holidays. Chocolate contains a lethal component called theobromine—the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains.

Raisins and Grapes
It isn't clear to scientists just what makes raisins and grapes toxic to both cats and dogs, but even a relatively small amount can damage the kidneys.

Onions and Garlic
Many pet owners are surprised to discover that onions and garlic contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia in cats and dogs. Onion and garlic powders are found in many prepared foods – even baby food – so make sure to read labels before serving any item to your pet.

Xylitol
Dog poisoning cases involving this artificial sweetener, often found in sugar-free baked goods and candy as well as sugarless gum, are on the rise. Eating it can result in a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. The amount of xylitol in five pieces of gum has the potential to kill a 65-pound dog.

Fatty Foods
When it comes to fatty cuts of meat and other fatty items including chicken or turkey skin, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s better to throw them out than to feed them to pets as a treat. They can cause acute pancreatitis, a life-threatening illness with severe complications.

Avocado
Potentially poisonous to dogs, cats and other animals, avocados contain a fungicidal toxin called persin. Avocados, if eaten, may trigger fluid accumulation in the lungs and chest, leading to difficulty breathing and death from oxygen deprivation.

Moldy or Spoiled Foods
These can contain multiple toxins that can cause vomiting and diarrhea and may affect other organs.

Alcohol
Because cats and dogs are smaller than humans, alcohol can have a much more deadly affect on them. Dogs are often attracted by the sweet taste of alcoholic drinks, especially eggnog. Even small amounts of alcohol can lead to heart arrhythmias, seizures, coma, and even death.

Macadamia Nuts
Though the exact reason is something of a mystery, these famous Hawaiian exports are considered toxic to dogs because they tend to cause gastrointestinal upsets, lethargy, vomiting and muscle tremors or stiffness. As few as six nuts can cause severe poisoning.

Coffee Grounds
Accidentally ingesting coffee grounds, or consuming any drink that is high in caffeine, can cause your dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s heart to race. This can result in seizures, tremors, arrhythmias, vomiting, diarrhea, or difficulty in breathing.

Because toxicity symptoms are similar no matter what your pet may have eaten, you should watch out if your pet seems to be distressed, listless or in pain. Bloody stools or vomiting are also possible indications. Gastrointestinal problems can lead a build-up of gas until the stomach becomes bloated and hard to the touch. This painful condition can cause the stomach to burst if not treated.

If you think your pet might have been poisoned, call your veterinarian or a poison-control hotline; the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 888-426-4435. (A consultation fee will be charged for their help dealing with a potential poisoning.)

The good news is, in most cases, toxic poisoning can be successfully treated if you seek help for your pet right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.